[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Alain De Button? Discovered him on YouTube
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Alain_de_Botton.jpg (18 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
Alain_de_Botton.jpg
18 KB, 420x300
What does /lit/ think of Alain De Button? Discovered him on YouTube through The School of Life where he narrates on different topics, Philosophy being the main one. Does he state the obvious or is he on to something?
>>
>>7469527
>alain de button
>>
He's shit tier. He warps philosophy into this sellable self-help shit.
>>
His videos are good as an introduction to the philosopher, or maybe to see if you would find the philosopher interesting.
>>
>>7469527
Use Rick Roderick's lectures as an intro to philosophy.

Watching School of Life to learn about philosophy is like watching Game Theory to learn about science.
>>
Alain de Benoist > Alain Badiou >>>>>>>>> Alain de Button (aka the bald cuck)
>>
>>7469527
>>>/fa/
>>
>>7469527
I think he should shave his head
>>
In case you don't know who de Botton is, let me explain: he's an absolute pair-of-aching-balls of a man – a slap-headed, ruby-lipped pop philosopher who's forged a lucrative career stating the bleeding obvious in a series of poncey, lighter-than-air books aimed at smug Sunday supplement pseuds looking for something clever-looking to read on the plane – yet if you pick up one of his books and read it cover to cover, you'll come away with less insight into the human condition than if you'd worked your way through a copy of Mr Tickle instead.
>>
>>7469527

He needs to shave his head.
>>
File: 1447229018701.jpg (291 KB, 1920x1170) Image search: [Google]
1447229018701.jpg
291 KB, 1920x1170
He's a good guy. He presents nothing too lofty, to be sure, but he's brilliant at providing quality entry level material and direction for certain subjects. Something that should not be undervalued, especially for those that can't afford tuition at some liberal arts college. Not to mention his efforts at reintroducing the public at large to the genuine, practical usefulness of the arts. I am grateful for his work. /lit/ can be so narrow minded.
>>
>>7469527
All I know of him is a 30 minute programme I found on 4od while drunk and bored about Nietzsche and hardship. It was ok.
>>
>>7469527
Anyone watch the Munk Debates with him on the panel? His arguments were pretty terrible.
>>
Alain is a smart man. He does it all for that audience pussy.
>>
he sells philosophy sweaters for 150 a pop
>>
>>7469710
great post
>>
>>7469527
Art as therapy is quite an enjoyable book. It is not philosophy though and mostly talks about pleb-tier art.
>>
the newest vid on transference was very good. I like what he's doing, he just sometimes makes thing a bit over simple for 20 somethings i.e. this board because he's looking to introduce enriching concepts at their most basic level in the hopes that it'll intrigue and get people learning. I think people who hate the school of life have misunderstood its intention
>>
File: 4ssJevL.jpg (104 KB, 1004x616) Image search: [Google]
4ssJevL.jpg
104 KB, 1004x616
>>7469710
noice
>>
>>7469710
brootal
>>
>>7469527
>The School of Life
You mean vlogbrothers lite?
>>
>>7469527
His book about Proust wasn't nearly as bad as /lit/ would have you believe, but he's not an all-time great or anything. His store and videos are less good.
>>
>>7470734
Btw I don't get why everyone's calling him a cvck. The view of women and romance he takes in the Proust book would fit right in at /r9k/ or /r/redpill of you threw in a little vitriol.
>>
>>7469533
This. And then everyone thinks philosophy is a load of airy fairy bullshit nonsense self help astrology platitudes 'wisdom' or witty phrase about life
also this >>7469710
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.