[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else honestly feel that HP is better than most modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 14.jpg (123 KB, 600x478) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
123 KB, 600x478
Does anyone else honestly feel that HP is better than most modern fantasy?

JKR has really interesting plotting and moral ambiguity as the series progresses, re-reading them is a whole new experience when you know how the main characters were manipulated in Dumbledore's chessmaster game.
The writing is underrated imo
>>
File: 1336022442143.gif (501 KB, 298x225) Image search: [Google]
1336022442143.gif
501 KB, 298x225
>>
File: pure_ideology.gif (937 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
pure_ideology.gif
937 KB, 500x300
>>
>>7469516
It's vastly more enjoyable than the trend of over-serious "muh complex systems" fantasy that everyone masturbates over
It's whimsical but manages to have subtle plots behind the surface
fite me m8
>>
DAE honestly feel like bull shit is better than most modern fecal matter?
>>
>>7469507
Know what I like about Harry Potter?

No blacks.
>>
>>7469544
wizards are conservative as fuck really
>>
>>7469548
>conservative
>allow a faggot to be around children
>>
>>7469551
Is it confirmed that he's in the closet?
>>
>>7469551
Even conservatives have to bend when someone is extremely powerful.
>>
The muggles should have just killed all the wizards with nuclear bombs IMO. Science>Magic
>>
>my shitty writer is less shitty than your shitty writer
Sanderson and Erikson being shit changes nothing about Rowling.
>>
>>7469507
I read Harry Potter when I was around 10. I haven't really read any ''fantasy'' since. Don't feel much for it. Harry Potter was fun as a child, though. I remember being scared at the whispering through the wall in The Chamber of Secrets. Nothing beats the Goblet of Fire, though. Loved that as a kid. (read The Order of the Phoenix after that, then quit reading them all-together)

But I don't really get the whole genre of modern fanboys liking everything Harry Potter related on 9gag/tumblr/whatever and spamming my facebook with it. It kind of ruins the idea of the series for me.
>>
>>7469551
>society is based around aristocracy and heritage
>no internet and modern media
>curriculum books are sometimes hundreds of years old
>slavery is normal
>>
>>7469554
For you
>>
>Angst angst angst
>Overhear overhear overhear
>Time turner for homework problems
There are problems with this series
>>
>>7469571
>angst

I don't get this complaint. Harry's life has been generally shit and he doesn't get angsty nearly as much as he should.
If it was a realistic teenager he would have punched Dumbledore in OoTp desu
>>
>>7469507

>moral ambiguity

Explain.

>The writing is underrated imo

Depends. Beauty, it has none. Nor innovation. What it does exceedingly well is catch the lowest common denominator, allowing it to be read quickly by anyone, thus allowing it the massive popularity it enjoys and making many shekels for Rowling.
>>
>>7469535

Definitely, bullshit has authenticity.
>>
File: 1442259332135.gif (271 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
1442259332135.gif
271 KB, 384x216
>>7469507
No. And her writing his rated appropriately.
>>
>>7469576
*is
>>
>>7469574
>Explain.

Dumbledore essentially manipulated Harry's entire life, starting from sending him in an abusive home and being perfectly aware of his circumstances, providing him clues to meet Voldemort in the first book, and a bunch of other stuff that he could have prevented. All because he needed him to be a perfect self-sacrificing hero with Dumbledore's ideology. Dumby is literally the villain of the series

Aside from that, you have Snape who was viciously bullied by Harry's arrogant Dad whom everyone worships as a saint, and downright attempted murder by Sirius.
Basically everyone Harry looks up to turns out to be an asshole, Voldemort is really someone who could have been stopped if people weren't stupid fucks.
>>
>>7469552
Yes. Rowling has personally confirmed that Dumbledore is gay.
>>
File: enhanced-1710-1421073102-10.jpg (48 KB, 625x400) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-1710-1421073102-10.jpg
48 KB, 625x400
>Its a "/lit/ makes you feel bad for enjoy Harry Potter, despite it capturing the sublime innocence and happiness of being a child, discovering new things and making friends" thread
>>
>>7469786
>capturing the sublime innocence and happiness of being a child, discovering new things and making friends
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.