[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you buy your books? or do you go to the Library?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: 1449699807440.gif (2 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1449699807440.gif
2 MB, 250x141
Do you buy your books? or do you go to the Library?
>>
>>7465232
I buy.
>>
>>7465232
I write them.
>>
I buy. Once had an bedbug infestation after reading some books from the local library. Never again.
>>
I buy books secondhand online for about £2 per book. My local libraries only hold celebrity biographies, children's books, and a select handful of classic works.
>>
neither

except when doing neither doesn't cut it. then i go to my school library, which i'm pleasantly surprised to find seems to always have what i'm looking for, even if it's semi-obscure.
>>
I steal them.
There's several large and small bookstores in the town I live, and I usually hit them systematically and in order. Books are piss easy to steal, so it's something I do with zero sweat.
There's no RFID chips in them, and my usual routine is to rip the price tag off the back cover and just stuff the book in my bag. If the store detective (there usually aren't any because most bookstores don't face theft, hence the costs to maintain one is higher than the possible damage)(does not apply for seasonal weeks, they employ one before christmas for example) actually walks up to you, you just say that it's your own copy you already brought with you into the store. They can't prove this at all and you just fuck off. Rinse and repeat.
>>
My library has the cutest 20 something year old librarian (along side many 30+ single hambeasts) and we always chitchat when I go in there. She doesn't use social media and is really shy, so we just talk about the books we have been reading. How do I ask her on a date /lit/ ? I don't want to make it awkward or ruin the friendship. Are there signs she is interested? It took 3 months for her to even say more than two words to me before turning bright red and hiding behind her glasses, pretending to have other work to do. (She was really excited to see I was reading her favourite book and just blurted it out). I have to assume she's never so much as kissed a boy let alone dated.

This one is wife potential so I really don't want to fuck it up.
>>
>>7465464
you sound like a fucking creep tbqh
>>
>>7465464
Just ask her if she would like to have a cup of coffee with you after work, not that difficult.
>>
>>7465464
>have to assume she's never so much as kissed a boy let alone dated.

Just ask her out. But be sensitive that when she's at work, she can't escape from the situation if she's uncomfortable. So keep it short and low pressure. Like ask her to coffee so you can talk about her favorite book. Then get her number and get out of her space.

Also, I have never in my life regretted asking a woman out. I have regretted not asking women out.
>>
>>7465232
Both. My library is great, but doesn't have everything.
>>
>>7465352
whats it like being a fuck?
>>
>>7465464
what >>7465503 said. Just say something like "Would you like to go out for a cup of coffee? Just so we can have a more relaxed conversation; I wanna hear more about the stuff you're reading."
>>
>>7465232
I buy them second hand online. I like the feeling of looking forward to something in my mail box, but not knowing when it's going to arrive.
>>
I download .mobi off What.CD and put them on my Kindle. Got Gormenghast, Book of the New Sun, and Hyperion lined up.
>>
Buy used. I don't like having a deadline.
>>
>>7465232
Both. I only buy used books though.
>>
>>7465232
I e-books :^)
>>
File: library.jpg (66 KB, 634x382) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
66 KB, 634x382
My library is pretty awful. I don't care about what books it has (nothing), I just want a nice place to read.

Autistic people talking to themselves while using PCs. Screams and laughs coming from the "Children's area" while adults try to calm them down. Librarians having loud conversations with people.

I just want to leave the moment I enter. I wish I had a stereotypical old building full of elderly people and dusty books rather than this 70's architectural monstrosity struggling to convince people it should even exist. I won't shed a tear when the government shuts it down.
>>
If a book is really good and I think i'll reread it I buy it, but most of the time i go to the library
>>
>>7465232
both
>>
>>7465232
buy used
i finally got into using a kindle and pirated a shitload of books. i started buying a few on the kindle store when i warmed up to using it. and then my kindle fucking broke.
>>
>>7465352
kill yourself
>>
>>7465529
>>7465920
Calm down, people. It's not like you're not stealing yourself on a daily basis. Whether it's piracy or intellectual property you grab off the internet to adorn whatever you are working on. I'm just one step ahead of you. One step deeper in exploiting the system that surrounds us.

And if it calms you down, I also have morals: I don't steal off small and independent stores, just the large chains we have in this country. So, no need to be mad.
>>
>>7465352
do you burn them after?
>>
>>7465464
fake
>>
>>7466101
I give them to the local homeless shelters.
>>
>>7466123
Retract all previous criticisms, we have a saint.
>>
>>7466131
Thanks! I knew someone would understand.
>>
>>7465552
How hard is it to get into what.cd?
>>
I shoplift all my books like any sane human.
>>
>>7465529
>>7465920
Never downloaded an epub?
>>
File: 1432795735830.png (2 MB, 1064x983) Image search: [Google]
1432795735830.png
2 MB, 1064x983
Both. I try to buy if possible, but if I'm on a kick with a certain author then I'll just take all of their work out from the library and read it rather than buy it somewhere and spend mad money.
>>
Borrow 85% of the books, buy 15% used, probably less. I don't know why I buy at all. Some latent juvenile consumerism still in me.
Bless public libraries.
>>
>>7466291
not that hard
www.whatinterviewprep.com
>>
>>7466131
we have a peter pan
>>
>>7466426
Robin Hood
>>
>>7466434
yeah, that guy
>>
>>7465232
Both. I also borrow from friends, cast my net on project gutenberg, and listen to librivox recordings on the youtube.
>>
>leaving home
>purchasing physical objects when virtual forms exist
>>
>>7465464

If this story isn't fake, let me point out that you're being quite creepy with your fantasies of her "innocence".

(Although there is something to be said about the unattractiveness of "slutty" behavior in women, that is, women pandering to subhuman trash males' desires and being almost as lacking in personality as the males they're pandering to...)

If you want a healthy relationship with anyone, just be maximally honest and open, and make sure that you're feeling genuine respect towards the person.
>>
I just download my books from http://radfem.org/.
>>
>>7465487
Why do people suggest drinking screamy nervous juice on dates? Alcohol is where it's at.
>>
File: pep.png (26 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
pep.png
26 KB, 500x346
>>7465464
Ah, the lovely librarian. Would you care to join me and discuss literature over a glass of pinot noir... or two? hahahah. ahhhhhh, it is to laugh...
>>
>>7466410
Now where do I get an invite?
>>
>>7465318
Seriously?
Are you sure they came from the book? i mean, you would've expected them to know how to avoid that shit
>>
>>7466559
>it is to laugh
>>
A bit of both. When I'm trying out an author for the first time or if want to try another book from an author I've read but wasn't all that keen on I'll use the library. If I want to read something from an author I know I like or if something about the book convinces me that I'll love it, I'll buy. I like having a book collection but try to save money when I can.
>>
Used to buy a ton but I got tired of packing and unpacking ten boxes of tsundoku every time I moved so I sold nearly everything and haven't bought a book since. It helps living near a university library. Way more classics and world literature than I've ever found in a store.
>>
OP is a FAG
>>
>>7465464
You should read the Collector by Fowles
>>
>>7466796
Fairly sure – book had a textile cover for protection, as the old one was long ripped off. Thing was, it was kind of loose so there was room for larvae. I like to red in bed.
I sometimes fall asleep while reading in bed. The book then slips out of my hand and onto the mattress, and in a worst case scenario, my head follows and lands on the book. I wake up with a rutted pattern engraved on my red cheek and that's it, no biggie. But this time, the larvae must've found its way to its new home and that's how I managed to catch a bed bug infestation with a book from the local library. Exterminator supported my suspicions so I guess this is canonized.
>>
I got an ereader under the pretense that I would just download any book I wanted for free (pirate). But I started buying and I have started to prefer reading a physical copy. There is a sense of accountability when you buy a book. And filing a bookshelf with books you've actually read gives you a sense of accomplishment that you reaffirm every time you look at it.
>>
File: 1431558777534.png (13 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
1431558777534.png
13 KB, 530x492
>>7465232
I buy them then donate them to my library.
>>
>>7466065
I like you.

I'm too much of a pussy to do it though. Then again I go see a shrink for anxiety.
>>
>>7468772
lel. I get my library to buy books I want and that no one else will ever read.
>>
>>7468772
robin hood itt has a bigger dick than you so nobody cares
>>
File: 1427964705524.png (15 KB, 477x539) Image search: [Google]
1427964705524.png
15 KB, 477x539
>>7468798
>has a bigger dick than you
I find that quite unlikely.
>>
>>7468803
pics senpaitachi
>>
>>7465232
Both but Mostly library for movies, I can get Criterion Collections without having to pay thirty dollars senpai
>>
>>7465232
I buy books from the library
>>
>>7465322
where? link us please.
>>
>>7468930
I steal books from the library.
>>
>>7468816
Why did your pluralize the senpai?
Do u even Animeese?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.