[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self improvement/life changing books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 625x564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 625x564
Hi /lit/ so i am currently going through a shit time in my life and am trying to remain positive and build my character so i can get through this and better myself.

Have any of you read any decent self improvement/inspirational books that you would like to share?

I read a short little book written by john bird a couple of years ago, called 7 steps to changing your life. I was never into any of this self improvement crap, but this small book was genuine, honest and not too happy clappy believe in yourself crap. I wish to re read it sometime, as it helped me to get through shit and build my character/reach my goals at that time.

Just looking for a bit more at the moment.

Excuse the shitty meme.
>>
For most self-help books you're better off just reading / watching summaries.

There are some quality summaries on this site:
https://sivers.org/book

For video summaries, https://www.youtube.com/user/PhilosophersNotes/playlists, and https://www.youtube.com/user/phuckmediocrity/videos are decent. Watch at 2x speed to maximize efficiency.
>>
>>7464183
Depending on how much you were file by feminism or other causes, No More Mr. Nice Guy is really good. It changed me completely overnight but the effect depends on how much of a nice guy you were in the first place.

If you're going through shit and want to stay positive I have seen Feeling Good by David Burns being recommended here for depression.
>>
have someone read the book for you, just skim through the book, i read 30 books today. read the summary online, no one has time to read all those books and most of the stuff in them isn't even important! buy my book
>>
>>7464585
Not OP but just wanted to say thanks.
>>
>>7464183
PROMETHEUS RISING

Don't ask me what it's about, and ignore the Christposters calling it hippie nonsense. It's hippie nonsense, but in the best way, which is hard to understand if you haven't read the book.

>>7464588
What even is a "nice guy?" If I fuck a girl until she can't walk and then make her breakfast in the morning, is that too nice? Genuinely curious what the book is about.
>>
>>7464691
Nah man.
Nice guys are actually "nice" guys. They believe that there is a set of rules and if they follow that then life will be smooth. They try to please everyone while sacrificing their own needs because they think this will make them likable.

Also due to feminism and/or other causes like absence of active father figures these guys try to gain approval from women. Basically read this book if you want to eleminate all your beta characteristics.
>>
Pick up Meditations by Aurelius. It is very accessible and will discipline you. Or get into any Stoic writer for that matter if you havnt already
>>
Plato's Republic
>>
>>7464588
Is that the only book you've read? I see you shilling it here all the time.

Maybe you wrote it?
>>
Read books by the "rah rah fuck college and start a business" entrepreneurial set. I thought they were full of shit, but they are pretty earnest and have a lot of practical advice on how things actually work and how you can beat the system by being a fucker instead of a fuckee.
>>
the war of art by steven pressfield
>>
>>7464183
Start with the greeks
>>
>>7465658
Thos sounds like the really successful guys with ugly girlfriends I know from college. Following the rules can get you pretty far if you follow a conventional path, but it's a joyless and unsexy approach.
>>
read Evola and start lifting
>>
>>7464183
The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane
>>
>>7464183
>Brain Lock
helps me massively with dealing with obsessive thoughts or compulsions, 10/10 self-help.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.