[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Light novel thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: boogiepop-others-novel.jpg (108 KB, 538x800) Image search: [Google]
boogiepop-others-novel.jpg
108 KB, 538x800
Boogiepop is quintessential.
>>
>>7463437
I like Haruhi.

I need to read the sixth book one of these days.
>>
Boogiepop Phantom was a good animu
>>
File: 6.png (422 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
6.png
422 KB, 500x705
Is Kagerou Daze something abnormal?
>>
>>7463437
i cant even find a digital copy of it, fug.
>>7463534
is there an English translation already?
>>
>>7463632
What do you mean "already"? The first two volumes have been covered by Yenpress and there are fan translations for volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5.
>>
The translations of light novels is so abysmal. I tried reading a few fan translations on baka tsuki and never made it past halfway in any of the books I tried. Then I went and bought the first volumes of four LN published by Yen Press, and they're all actually worse than the fan translations.

My understanding of Japanese isn't the best, and it still takes me a few minutes to read a page or two, but the writing feels so much more natural in the original language.

How do you faggots read them translated? I'm legitimately curious. Do you recognize how there is absolutely no tone established, and it's just strings of offbeat sentences together? Do you not think about it, and go from line to line, in a sort of transient, "just absorbing what's happening" kind of way?
>>
File: Baccano_light-novel-3-cover.jpg (227 KB, 820x1200) Image search: [Google]
Baccano_light-novel-3-cover.jpg
227 KB, 820x1200
>>
File: 1298503721666.jpg (2 MB, 2700x2450) Image search: [Google]
1298503721666.jpg
2 MB, 2700x2450
Why read that shit when you could read real Japanese literature?
>>
>>7465253
BTW yes, even Murakami is better than any light novel.
>>
not literature. light novel threads belong on /jp/.
>>
>>7465302
>light novels
>not literature
>it's just a novel from japan with anime girls
>>
>>7465305
rules: /jp/ - Otaku Culture

2. This is the appropriate board for the discussion of Japanese visual novels and light novels. Western visual novels should be posted to /vg/, and translated visual novels are fine on either board.
>>
Translations from light novels is even worse than fansubs. There are a few groups that do so in spanish and all they suck because they make translation from bad english translations, true hell.
>>
>>7465302
sorry if it triggers you pansy ass
>>
>>7465245
>The translations of light novels is so abysmal.

It's not just the translations, they are just written terribly. It's just anime-tier writing in book form.
>>
>>7465394
kek
>>
>>7465245
>Do you recognize how there is absolutely no tone established, and it's just strings of offbeat sentences together? Do you not think about it, and go from line to line, in a sort of transient, "just absorbing what's happening" kind of way?

People who read this kind of stuff, but don't even know Japanese don't care about stuff like that, so it's a waste of effort. It's purely for the plot, so you don't need to go beyond translating what is happening.
>>
I'm still pissed off that the company stopped translating Boogiepop. Meanwhile they translate complete trash now.
>>
Also the Guin Saga is pretty good fantasy novel that doesn't fall into the light novel trap. Even that hasn't been picked up past its first five books.

Seems like only crap gets continued translation.
>>
Kizumonogatari came out today, check it out. The cover looks cool as fuck and is kind of a hybrid book / light novel. Longer than normal LN, slightly Westernized book cover.
>>
>>7467802
That trash is some fo the worst shit ever written and the anime is one of the most hideous revolting things ever made. Definitely do not read/watch that
>>
>>7468974
Congratulations, you have shit taste.
>>
>>7469371
Nope, you're just severely brain-damaged.
>>
>>7469460
Edgy bro.
>>
Why don't we translate light novels ourselves, but instead of putting them in the "correct english", we try to put them in the closest modernist stream-of-conscious like Faulker or Joyce to make them seem way deeper than they are and see if they become patrician?
>>
>>7468974
Literally read and watch more, cuck.
>>
>>7465253
Because it's difficult to find pirated copies of them.
>>
>>7466880

>Guin Saga

Been meaning to buy the first six or so books but it looks like they aren't going past that in translations, I'm tempted on getting but worried about how investing my time into something which may be discontinued will be.

>>7467802

Ordered that yesterday, one thing that I'm looking forward to is seeing how they translated a lot of the puns.
>>
>>7471230
They only translated the first five book. That makes up pretty much a complete story. It's a fun read. I haven't read much fantasy, but I'd compare it to the Hobbit. I loved the Hobbit for it being a fun romp. But it isn't as up its own ass like the Lord of the Rings was.
>>
>>7471266

So would you say it ties up nicely for five books?I understand that there's supposed to be 100 or so volumes released or planned so no doubt there will be a lot of things unanswered and all but I wonder if I'll be able to get a general gist of the story or where it will end up in those short volumes.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.