[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the prerequisite for a novel is the subjugation of the mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 1447231209519.jpg (74 KB, 542x520) Image search: [Google]
1447231209519.jpg
74 KB, 542x520
If the prerequisite for a novel is the subjugation of the mind and sense then why is futility such a common notion in writing? The trendind elements of this central thought in new writers is more prevalent than ever and it seems as though this will impact the writing culture in the future. How then would a devation from this copy and paste methodology work?
>>
>>7460661
does this sub really write like this?
>>
>>7460668
google "bruce davidson subway"
>>
>>7460661
>subjugation of the mind and sense
this is a yogi thing or some shit, right? Don't expect to toss out jargon and for everyone to properly respond, especially when they can't even definitively find out what you're talking about from a google search. Be precise
>>
>>7460661
Sense? You mean moral ideology? By the way, you should substantiate your argument before you posit a question based on it. I do not see a trend of futility among modern writers.
>>
>>7460681
Why?
>>
>>7460709
>A sense is a physiological capacity of organisms that provides data for perception. The senses and their operation, classification, and theory are overlapping topics studied by a variety of fields, most notably neuroscience, cognitive psychology (or cognitive science), and philosophy of perception.

Perhaps it is not me who needs substaniate my ideas more, it is you who needs to take your own perceptions out of the picture when understanding writing. Your post is a prime example of the issue in the OP. Futility is merely a word with a definition completely unrelated to any personal context of which you attach to the word.
>>
>>7460810
>samefagging this hard

Sense has multiple meanings kiddo. Seriously, get out of here with your pseudo-intellectual drivel.
>>
>subjugation of the mind and sense
subjugation to what? The novel? I don't see how this is relevant to the theme of futility. A novel can enrapture a reader and still explore the notion of futility.

How is writing about futility a "copy and paste methodology"? Surely people can write about the same things and not be considered copying and pasting from each other.
>>
>>7460661
She looks like Uma Thurman.
>>
>>7460661
she was too ugly
too old too
I'm glad Naomi Watts got the part
>>
>>7460878
>>7460891
If you relegate yourself to the most primal reaction then words come to different contextual meaning according to your most recent perspective and state of mind. Obviously you would have trouble contextualizing the concept. Hunger Games, Divergent series, Maze Runner books even the Game of Thrones series; these are what the young authors look towards. These are even what "adult" writers look towards because it is that which gets praise. The literary mindsets are changing to expect certain writing and the newer generation is and will expect the exact same. The amount of uselessness in these books is incredible and most does not serve to moved the plot or setting forward. They are like soap operas with a lot of filler.
>>
>>7460891
>How is writing about futility
I'm pretty sure that's not what was written. It did't say writing ABOUT futility you illiterate cunt.
>>
"The amount of uselessness"

Several ounces of uselessness, no doubt. I prefer teaspoons.
>>
>>7462107
>>7462094
>butthurt level is through the roof

Intellectuals do not read Hunger Games. What you are saying is basically, "Le Wrong Generation" in /lit/ form.
>>
>>7460661
a Kinder Tide? is that a chocolate bar?
>>
>>7461120
>I'm glad Naomi Watts got the part
1976 version
>>
>>7462337
picturing a chocolate bar shaped like a wave now
>>
what are you even trying to say
>>
>>7460668
>sub
>as in subreddit
Are you from r/books?
Go back.
>>
>>7460668
>sub

Fuck off. We don't want you here.
>>
>>7460661

When a chick calls me a dirty creeper or otherwise insults me, I take the same mindset as the caption.

1 cunt, 1 opinion

I'll take it for what it's worth.
>>
>>7460661
That picture was taken in 1976.

This picture is from 1966.

How the fuck she became so ugly in just 10 years?
>>
>>7460661
By an unironic affirmation of the subjugation of the mind and sense?
>>
>>7464042
that's a shit photograph, blown the fuck out with a flash, with zero definition.

that explain everything?
>>
>>7464042
She has never been ugly. Anyway, the difference between 17 and 27 is astonishing. Compare a 17yr old boy to a 27yr old man. I went from looking like Neville Longbottom to Ernest Hemingway in 10 years.
>>
>>7460661

>18 Academy Awards
>In the 1978 miniseries Holocaust, Streep played the leading role of a German woman married to a Jewish artist in Nazi era Germany. She found the material to be "unrelentingly noble" and professed to have taken on the role for financial gain.[44] Streep travelled to Germany and Austria for filming while Cazale remained in New York. Upon her return, Streep found that Cazale's illness had progressed, and she nursed him until his death on March 12, 1978.[45][40] With an estimated audience of 109 million, Holocaust brought a wider degree of public recognition to Streep, who found herself "on the verge of national visibility". She won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for her performance.[46]
>Greater success came later in 1982, when Streep starred in the drama Sophie's Choice (1982), portraying a Polish holocaust survivor caught in a love triangle between a young naive writer (Peter MacNicol) and a Jewish intellectual (Kevin Kline). Streep's emotional dramatic performance and her apparent mastery of a Polish accent drew praise.[68][69] William Styron wrote the novel with Ursula Andress in mind for the part of Sophie, but Streep was determined to get the role. She obtained a pirated copy of the script, and threw herself on the ground begging the director Alan J. Pakula to give her the part.[70] Streep filmed the "choice" scene in one take and refused to do it again, finding it extremely painful and emotionally exhausting.[71] Emma Brockes of The Guardian believes the scene in which Streep is ordered by an SS guard at Auschwitz to choose which one of her two children would be gassed and which would proceed to the labor camp, is her most famous scene, remarking: "It's classic Streep, the kind of scene that makes your scalp tighten, but defter in a way is her handling of smaller, harder-to-grasp emotions".[17] Among several notable acting awards, Streep won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance,[72] and her characterization was voted the third greatest movie performance of all time by Premiere magazine.
>>
>>7464132
Thank you for this post Abdul.
>>
>>7464132
Somehow her academy awards seem less valuable, clearly there is some bias here with oscar baiting holocaust mongering.
>>
>>7460668
Quality b8
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.