[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Slam Poetry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_1356[1].jpg (29 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1356[1].jpg
29 KB, 600x400
What are /lit/'s thoughts on slam poetry as a whole?
>>
Lit generally dislikes it. Harold Bloom called it the death of art

The reasons I'm not a fan are that it rewards easy, immediate engagement rather than depth or complexity, the importance of rhyme is inflated, the current culture is all about oppression and mentioning that you are oppressed instantly makes your poem better, regardless of content, it makes art into a competition, and the fact that judges are chosen from the crowd makes for a weird system.
>>
It'll be forgotten before—well, I wanted to say before the end of this sentence, but that's not quite true. It'll be forgotten before the people who currently do it are dead. And they'll all be forgotten before they're dead, too.
>>
>>7459963
Good example.
>>
>>7459936
remember the scene in 22 jump street where he improvises absolute bs and they all clap? that's what real slam is like, except maybe not as janky as jonah hill's performance.
>>
a perennial slam, one that takes place in the same dingy bar every week whether anyone shows or not, is the nursing home of art.

an impromptu slam could definitely be worthwhile. but basically the best stage performer has a leg up in those competitions.
>>
>>7460226
Ignore this man, he is a faggot. Slams are not art, slams are people screaming into a microphone about whatever they think will get them the most attention. Agree with the culture of oppression guy
>>
File: tumblr_lpo3kx9r4D1qee8ww.jpg (43 KB, 360x355) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpo3kx9r4D1qee8ww.jpg
43 KB, 360x355
Harold Bloom is a confirmed faggot, but...slam poetry is cool if you are still Kurt Cobain and Freinds is the best sit-com and you can't wait to wear your Doc Martens and bicycle shorts combination to the Smart Bar to drink non-alcoholic memory drinks and talk about this hot new director Quenton Tarantella.
>>
Obsolete form IMO, and the people who participate in it are insufferable attention addicts.
>>
Basically a mutant offspring of performance poetry. Far too clique-y in the current day: verges into being a cultural meme for signifying your membership with the in-group rather than being actual performance art.
>>
this... is true art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me4_QwmaNoQ
>>
Isn't slam poetry a euphemism for social justice speeches?
>>
I'd much rather listen to freestyle rap or something. Do venues have open mic night for rappers? Like they'll play instrumentals and people can get in line to go freestyle and at the end they say their name and plug their mixtape?

I wonder what the market would be for a restaurant/bar that's basically a comedy club but for rappers.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.