[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People laugh off image related as juvenile, but I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: a2.png (192 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
a2.png
192 KB, 500x353
People laugh off image related as juvenile, but I can't help but agree with it. I've been a NEET for 3 years. I'm 22, and don't have any plans to work in the near time, and certainly none to pick up formal studies ever again. I live off of my parents income. I study by investing time reading about the fields of art that I'm interested in, and experiencing these works of art themselves. I'm by no measure an expert in these fields, but I certainly strive to be. My goal in life is to make an exceptional work of art, whether it is an album, a film, a game, or a book. I know fully that I may not be able to live "leeching-off" of my parents for the years to come and that I will be forced to work a wageslave job, but for now I have 0 interest in making money, I do not really aspire to have a big house, or anything alike. My income is experiencing art, and that is available for as much money as the Internet costs.

Everyone I've talked to thinks the lifestyle that I live is pathetic and wrong, but nobody's argument has ever made sense to me. My question, /lit/, is, do you know of any piece of literature that makes an argument for a lifestyle of "laziness"? Or, alternatively, one that opposes it.

Please don't try to discuss much of it with me, I would much rather read about it in the form of a book (otherwise I would have gone to /adv/).
>>
The Ego and Its Own by Max Stirner

That's all you need.
>>
Yeah, see the difference is that Bukowski is proclaiming it a tragedy that this is the way things are. But he recognizes this is how it is. After all, he wageslaved for decades because he knew the only thing worse would be to put it all on his mom and dad or any other person. He knew it's awful, but he wasn't selfish.
You would rather make your mom and dad experience that pain than take it on yourself. Bukowski was a trapped artist. You're just selfish.
>>
>>7459327
This

You really think no one wants to sit at mom's and dad's and explore what they are interested in? That's what high school was for.
>>
I know this is a cliche and I don't agree with everything the OP is doing but when you stop giving a shit about materialism it's like a burden is lifted from you.
>>
>>7459313
I had this on my list for whatever reason, so I will check it out.
>>7459327
I never thought of it that way, and it's interesting,
>he knew the only thing worse would be to put it all on his mom and dad or any other person
but I think this is stretching it too much. I don't believe I'm making them feel any more pain than they would get by me working. They will still go to their jobs for as long as they had originally planned, whether I work or not.
>>7459340
>that's what high school was for.
It pains me that you say this because my school was, at least on a sense of time, my university. It was known for being demanding, so I had a rhythm of study that was constant, allowing for little free time (though had I known I wasn't gonna finish college, I probably wouldn't have studied much back then). For the other part, I did not discover my interests until a couple of years ago, so what little time I had to spare in HS I more or less wasted it. But then again that's the nature of life, so I don't really feel regret.
>>7459370
I really agree with this. I've barely bought anything in years.
>>
>>7459370
And I must add, I know a lot of people who want my lifestyle, but don't do it not because they don't want to be selfish, but because they simply don't want to embrace it whether it is due to social pressure, their own uncertainty, or whatever. Around 80% of people I know have changed career in college at least one time. How is that any better than me doing what I do? More loans, more pain inflicted.
>>
>>7459587
Let me ask you this OP: Are your parents okay with your lifestyle? If so, why? If not, why?

I'm curious about this lifestyle but I know my parents would never let me live comfortably with them as a NEET.
>>
>>7459305
>My goal in life is to make an exceptional work of art, whether it is an album, a film, a game, or a book.

L O L
>>
>>7459636
>not having ambition
>>
>>7459641
>having ambition
>>
>>7459618
They mostly are. I think the reasons are because I'm more or less young (recently turned 22), neither of them finished college, they see myself as intelligent (I don't believe in that, but did well in school and the little time I spent in college), I know for certain what I want to do in life, it won't cost them money to put me through college (which is expensive in my country, and usually an economical burden split between the son and the parents), and my naive overconfidence (or nihilism) about it all (common case seems to be that NEETs are depressed, and I've never been). Here it's more or less accepted that sons live with their parents even past 25 years old (though of course with a job), too.
>>
>>7459641
MEIN GOTT PURE IDEOLOGY
>>
>>7459641
Nice spooks.
>>7459649
Nice spooks.
>>7459657
Nice spooks.
>>
You're not going to create a great work of art that's simply a regurgitation of other art.

I work a fun job (trade) that pays well, is skill intensive, and allows me to have plenty of time to write and draw my shit.
>>
>tfw living and working on my own for the first time at 23 and kind of enjoying the independence but also disturbed by the feeling of being on a treadmill
>tfw have a working class job
>tfw every time I get a new job in a new industry, I want to get out of it
>tfw I feel like I should live even more frugally so that I can work less
>tfw here in America if I work less than 40 hours I don't get health benefits
>tfw to get 8 hours of sleep I need to be sleeping in 40 minutes but I still need to plan a grocery list, buy groceries, and make lunch for tomorrow
>tfw life is scary
>tfw no gf
>>
>>7459681
How did you get your first job at 23?
>>
File: 1271208771971.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1271208771971.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1200
>>7459327
And the parents aren't being selfish? They birthed a child and now they are asking it to go through the same ordeals they did; for whose happiness exactly? Their own. It's them that wanted to have a child, it never asked to be born. It has no obligation to pay for something which was given to it supposedly without interest and without its consent.

And this whole scenario is ridiculous, really. So it is a tragedy, but that is just "the way it is"? No wonder you are advocating being a wageslave. And putting the pain on oneself, how self-centered is that exactly? Oh, so others don't deserve that pain, but you ought to take it; you're not at all being selfless by thinking this way, on the contrary, your self is all the more reinforced by it, you are treating yourself differently from what you would do others. And why ought he suffer just as everyone else does? Division of labour is how our society works, someone does something so someone else doesn't have to; this applies to experience as well, it's fucking retarded to think you should put your hand on fire so you can rightfully say it is dangerous instead of listening to someone who went through that, why the hell do you think that other person is speaking at all? On that point, isn't he doing exactly what his parents wish for him? Surely all parents must want their children to have a better life than them, why would not working a job he doesn't enjoy not be part of that?

I'm not advocating for laziness, or for letting his parents suffer, but him working a job that he doesn't want and doesn't fulfill him out of some sense of duty isn't going to make anybody happy. And I bet you agree with me.
>>
>>7459654
What country do you live in? I live in America and my dad runs a small business so he is all about the "work hard and achieve the American dream" myth and wouldn't allow me to be NEET without prospects for any period of time.

But in all honesty, and it might just be my ideological background, but I would rather be independent to some degree than just sit in my room at my parents house all day, even if it requires me to work minimum wage jobs. Going to community college has pushed me farther and into places I wouldn't have gone and my minimum wage job has taught me social skills. I mean, maybe you could create some great work of art, but maybe you wont. And then what?

I'm actually planning on moving into a van soon so I can be as close to NEET as possible without sucking off my parents income.
>>
>>7459695
yeah, that wasn't clear, I've had many jobs before. Now is the first time that I've lived on my own (excluding college). I worked during college, and I worked after college while living with my parents, before now both living and working independently
>>
>>7459305
The Society of the Spectacle

>>7459636
>>7459678
>Often, it is suggested that Debord was opposed to the creation of art, however, Debord writes in the Situationist International magazine ("Contre la Cinema") that he believes that "ordinary" (quotidian) people should make "everyday" (quotidian) art; art and creation should liberate from the spectacle, from capitalism, and from the banality of everyday life in contemporary society. In "The Society of the Spectacle," Debord argues that it is the price put on art that destroys the integrity of the art object, not the material or the creation itself. It is important to note that Debord does not equate art to "the spectacle."
>>
>>7459327
>>7459340

As much as I agree with the sentiment, Bukowski was subsidized by John Martin. Even though the amount was meager and it meant him going hungry, he'd rather live like a hobo then be on some dole if it meant he could develop himself.

To speak to a greater point here, is it really something that's all that wrong? When you figure how complex the economy's becoming finding a job that you'll be content with, something where you feel you're making some kind of difference is more and more difficult.
>>
>>7459716

copy and pasting from the wikipedia article on Guy Debord

LOL
>>
File: hm.gif (3 MB, 262x300) Image search: [Google]
hm.gif
3 MB, 262x300
I'm early twenties and I've worked several shit jobs. I've worked enough that even in such a short time I know that it causes me greater distress to work than it does my co-workers. This is because I'm guessing my passion runs deeper and or requires me to not work a 9 to 5. (You've got to understand the average persons dream is to simply get rich and buy everything and be famous.) I'm neet and don't live with my parents. Most neets live with their parents. Most of my co-workers accepted that this is what they have to do until they retire, I cannot and will not accept this.
The only way you can honestly be neet and not be seen as a lazy worthless piece of shit, is if you actually have something to show for it. You are still working, just not in an office or supermarket. You still need a structure to your day. You still need to work hard. You still need discipline.

You can get away with being neet if you're an artist. A lot of musicians, writers, painters etc were neet while they worked on their ''art''...
But the thing is... They eventually had something in their hands at the end of that time. Something to show for it all. They could share that with the world and it would convey the message of ''Hey, I don't just sit in bed all day and beat off to cartoons'' They don't need to justify themselves or their lifestyle.
In other words: Be neet for a time sure, but make sure you're actually doing something during this time.

Most neets on here are 30 year old virgins who are neet simply because they are lazy and lack the courage to go out into the world and leave a mark. How are you ever going to share your ''art'' if all you do is jerk off?
>>
>>7459757
This.
>>7459305
OP, if you want to create a great piece of art but you don't know what medium you would create it through by now, I can guarantee it will not be a great piece of art.
>>
>>7459678
What's your trade
>>
>>7459699
What makes you think being happy is part of the equation at all?
>>
>>7459793
If it's not then the equation is not worth having.
>>
>>7459806
>2015
>being a hedonist
>>
>>7459787
Welder, work with ironworkers.
>>
>>7459815
Canada?
>>
>>7459812
>2015
>Believing happiness equates with pleasure
>>
>>7459812
what the fuck do you life for then
>>
>>7459757
Or at least become interesting, chances are someone will put you up. Not enough of those kind of people around anyway.
>>
File: St Benedict.jpg (289 KB, 604x994) Image search: [Google]
St Benedict.jpg
289 KB, 604x994
Become a monk.

St. Benedict was a young, intelligent man sent to Rome to acquire a classical education. He found life there too degenerate so he went to the country and became a hermit. He established the monastic system which rescued Europe after the collapse of the decadent Roman empire. His motto was "Ora & Labora", Prayer & Work. Benedictine work is not that selfish, petty, "I work for the highest bidder", cynical capitalist self-prostitution. It is work sanctified by prayer. You bend your back not for a paycheck, but to humble yourself before God. Turning work from something miserable and self-seeking into something holy.
>>
>>7459823
Do you honestly think human beings are simply pleasure seeking animals, and that this is the only purpose of our existence?

If so I feel sorry for you and would recommend that you go read some Kant.
>>
>>7459819
Yep, Van.
>>
>>7459842
The only happy Tradies I've ever met where from Canuck Land.
>>
>>7459839
That was a time before property taxes and home insurance.
>>
>>7459305

There is nothing wrong with refusing to be a wagekek, but keking your own parents and taking advantage of their love for you so you can pursue art makes you a coward at best.
If you want to focus exclusively on art, accept the consequences and become homeless.
>>
File: reality.jpg (582 KB, 1440x936) Image search: [Google]
reality.jpg
582 KB, 1440x936
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html

:)

i hope you guys feel better if you read
>>
>>7459848
I would say half the tradies I know and work with are happy with their job. If you are laid back you can make some real money for not too much work. You can work only 3ish days a week and still earn 2-3 times more than most people. Plus since there is no boss hanging over your shoulder and everyone else on site aren't part of the same company no one cares if you listen to your mp3 player. I often finish a book plus 10ish hours of podcasts a week.

I always thought I was going to be a starving artist type, then I realised that I can be reasonably wealthy, retire early, and still leave more than enough time in my life for the shit I want to do.
>>
>>7459782
>only 20% of your adult life gone
>lmao ur dun kiddo if u doant no whut u want to dew bye now ur fukted buudii

There's a boxer who's 50+ and that woman who went to the olympics after giving birth and was 50+ too, athletic peaks occur far earlier than intellectual peaks. There are as many older writers as there are young prodigies, but you are way past your shitposting prime.
>>
>>7459918
what a flawless sutra.

I especially love the verse about the ching chong ping pong
>>
File: 1447352771232.png (3 MB, 1173x4609) Image search: [Google]
1447352771232.png
3 MB, 1173x4609
It's called the slacker lifestyle. You are not alone. But the philosophy behind it is a little sloppy. Be really glad you can easily get a job that'll pay for housing and food and culture in America. Hell you can even live in a truck and be more confortable than 70% of the world population.
I like the idea of being an earth scientist and good money comes with it so I stuck with it. If I were to choose my major now I'd choose social sciences.
Watch Slackers, Kids, Withnail and I, Naked and Rebels of the Neon God to see how it feels to be on the border of society. And work hard on becoming an intellectual and I hope you can achieve it before I can.
Look, also don't forget to be happy. There's also some literature on forums and a few books by anarchists and zine writers on the slacker lifestyle.
>>
>>7459924
Only for certain sports. You will never find someone who decides they want to sprint at 50 getting gold.
>>
it's from India, though

so more like नमो तस्स भवतो अरहतो सम्मा संबुद्धस्स।

:)
>>
>>7459840
i'm not an hedonist, i just think your view is no more than a self-defense mechanism. i cant believe how far you go to justify yourself
>what makes you think being happy is part of the equation at all?
at all? so happiness shouldn't be part of the outcome of a decision, ever?
>>
>>7459931
>>7459949
forgot link
>>
>>7459945
im pretty sure thats the worst possible example because running is filled with people who pick it up at an old age and set records. sure maybe no gold medal but what difference does that make
>>
File: when the lorry is halal.jpg (69 KB, 500x440) Image search: [Google]
when the lorry is halal.jpg
69 KB, 500x440
>>7459944
>skubb
>>
>>7459944
I think if you lived in a van, it would be pretty fucking looked-down-upon socially

modern equivalent of going full Diogenes
>>
>>7459958
Please, try to cultivate more mindfulness. A posting style such as this is not in accordance with the dharma.
>>
>>7459970
You are thinking of long distance running, not sprinting.
>>
>>7459985
Depends on how you go about it.

If you have a piece of shit van and never clean the inside or yourself, then yes people would consider you a hobo.
But if you create a nice setup with books and a sink, and keep yourself clean and fit with a 24 hour gym membership, then you are living the modern bohemian lifestyle. You might even be able to make money if you make good YouTube videos and Instagram posts. Millennials eat that kind of shit right up.
>>
>>7459985
I know and I wouldn't. I've read a really nice thread about an anon that lived in his sedan and life living in a vehicle is hell. Problems with finding a safe place to park and sleep, hygiene, health issues and not getting enough sleep. Your life comes dependent on your school/job's power outlets and bathrooms and yout gym membership to take dumps and showers.
If the vehicle breaks dowm you're fucked. You have to go to cheap hotels and pay for a car fix.
>>
>>7459945
The peak for sprinters might be the earliest for any athletic sport. With the majority of athletes its the legs that go first and sprinting is very taxing on the legs
>>
>>7459370
This. Once you stop caring about getting pussy or looking cool you're truly free though.
>>
>>7459985
Open your mind dude.
I myself dream of adopting the van life. Total freedom. Get a nice van, some dough in the bank, and a shitton of books in some storage space. Set for life really.

Besides, with a van it's like you've got an MBA, but you've also got a fucking van. You're not just a man anymore, you are a man with a van.
Join me brothers, we can be men with ven.
>>
>>7459305
But the choice isn't between living off your parents NEETdom and wage slavery.
Why the fuck don't you take some of the abundant door number threes?
Move to a state (or region of your country) where cost of living is real low and work part time? You can find apartments in North Carolina for $500. Get a craigslist roommate and you can work like 20 hours a week for that. Might need a little help from your parents, but they'd probably feel a lot happier about supporting you some if you're out of the house, working a little, and lying to them about how productive you are.
Or try WOOFing. Or hike the Appalachian.
Just do something dude.
>>
>>7460043
lold so hard at that scene
>>
>>7459305
So your a coward, leeching off your family and refusing to better yourself out into the world, and instead shut your self in with delusions of a grand nature.
>>
>>7460043
>tfw you want to live in a van down by the river
>>
god damn i wish NEETbux were real. if i could just get enough money to basically subsist on and pay for a small, shitty place to live and an internet connection i'd never aspire to do anything more than just read and browse the internet all day and wait to die.
>>
>>7459305

Just popping in to say I hope you know that your parents resent you.
>>
>>7459305
The critique I have of your lifestyle is that it fosters weakness. You have no struggle, and if you really find work to be that soul crushing you are not strong enough to make something of your life. I lived as a NEET for a few years after high-school but it wasn't until I found a good job that my character moved forward massively.

I understand the appeal of the life of leisure, it's the same kind of life I'm saving up for, but without a strong and powerful character--namely a character that takes work in its stride--it's shallow husk of a life. I see this thread appear every now and then on /lit/ and every time it makes me think of Nietzsche saying he wishes hardship upon his friends.
>>
>>7459305
You won't succeed. Art through adversity.

Here's the thing. The vast vast majority of all great artists either had one of three things:

>A) Extreme fortune in the sense of being taught at a young age by scholarly parents, prestigious schooling, relatives. They're given a head start, have an affinity, and learn quickly.

>B) Natural Talent. Some people are simply born into conditions or with the right genetics to perceive and describe things in an interesting way. If Harold Bloom is to be believed, that fucker can read 1000 pages in an hour, even at shit-tier retention rates that's extremely impressive. Joyce, as with some other writers, was assured of his greatness from the beginning. Lots of writers start young because of active imagination.

>Extreme circumstances, experiences, and motivation. People that have enough reason to write pathologically.

You fit none of the three. You have no motivation or intention to face or engage with any adversity or experience. I assume you have few friends, and you're sitting the safety-net of your parents which has not allowed you to actually pursue meaningful education, but has coddled you into a sedentary existence.

You have no interest in making money, except that for every moment you do now the more it will add up later with interest and investment.

this: >>7459327
>>
>>7460143
Living neet can be hardship. There is something to be said of surviving solely on bread and water and being shunned by everyone in society for living within the realms of what is considered ''the norm''

Pain and suffering are vital when it comes to creativity and self growth

I'm of the belief that the first sound man ever made out loud was a shriek of pain or some other reaction to pain and suffering. Nothing tests a man and forces themselves to explore their own self and their own limits more than suffering.

>>7460162
>You won't succeed. Art through adversity.
Not that he won't succeed, it's just the chances are slim.
>>
>>7460060
>leaching off your family
He never asked them to bring him into this world
>>
>>7460178
I highly doubt most NEETs life off of bread and water. Even if you are on the doll and are flatting you can still afford okay food if you aren't an idiot. Being shunned because you are a hobo must be tough. Having people around you saying you either mooch off of your parents or off of the government and the hard work of others is just them stating a fact. Acting like this is some terrible sort of shunning only shows how weak one would have to be to believe it. It's like sluts complaining that people call them sluts for dressing provocatively and sleeping with tons of guys.
>>
>>7460143
>it fosters weakness
Why does that matter?
You don't need strength when you're a NEET. Stop thinking Nietzsche is right about everything.
>>
>>7460217
It matters because no life can be fulfilling without an abundance of virtue.
>>
File: 1448044275673.png (11 KB, 381x381) Image search: [Google]
1448044275673.png
11 KB, 381x381
>>7459305
>>
Idle question, but do I quality as NEET if I'm self educating (programming) in the hope of getting a decent wagekek job while unemployed and living with parents (suppose I could get some shitty warehouse job but in the long run that'd prolly keep me leeching off my parents income for longer than just doing what I'm currently doing out of necessity)?
>>
>>7460241
Yes because you are no employed, not studying and currently not looking for work.
>>
>>7460143
Great reading of Nietzsche fukboi. He was also said meaningless work; work for it's own sake was the greatest killer of creativity that exists. Nietzsche was a neet himself. It's in his name. He lived most of his creative career and adult life on the pension he received from Basil, where he was a professor for only a few years.
>>
>>7460243
The T is for training though.
>>
>>7460243
...I am studying tho, just not in a formal institution. I do something study-related for like 10 hours a day errday dude.
>>
>>7460241
no
computer science is unique because you can get a 6-figure job with no degree as long as you pass the interviews
>>
>>7459740
>implying we aren't all just monkeys flinging shit at a screen
>>
>>7460245
You do know he was too sick to work right? His suffering under his sickness was greater than what most people had to endure in their lives. And for Nietzsche you make your own meaning so it would only be meaningless if you don't imbue meaning into it.

>fuckboi
I hope there a people to help you get dressed in the morning.
>>
>>7460270
>His suffering under his sickness was greater than what most people had to endure in their lives.

I can't even see you past all this Edginess.

>And for Nietzsche you make your own meaning so it would only be meaningless if you don't imbue meaning into it.

/lit/ Everyone.
>>
>>7460211
But in a capitalist society, the neet is the modern leper. You're attitude shows it. Stay salty wage-kek
>>
>>7460292
>the neet is the modern leper

only if you're a poorfag
>>
>>7460223
Got any original ideas? Or are you going to keep regurgitating Nietzsche and others?
>>
>>7460223
What you said makes zero sense
Do you know what the word virtue means?
>>
>>7459867
>That was a time before property taxes
I know taxes seem like a very modern thing with HR Block commercials telling you all you know about it, but property taxes have existed alongside feudalism.
>>
>>7460356
Yes, but they were only usually collected from tenant farmers and such. Not really worth it to send people to collect taxes from a hermit. Bureaucrats claim it is now to justify their existence, but people were practical back then too. Even if they bothered, taxes where payable in grain anyways.
>>
>>7459305
>taking life advice from Chuck "Glug-glug" Bukowski
>>
>>7460270
I'm pretty sure Nietzsche didn't like work regardless of his physical wellbeing at the moment. Work-work, not legacy-work.
>>
>>7459305
>Without talking about you're flagrant disregard for your parents happiness

imo, being a part of the working world allows you to experience and understand art on a totally different level. just like no immense amount of studying will allow you be totally empathetic with anything, you will not be able to fully understand the context of most art (anything commercially or commerce related, intertextuality with popular work trope culture, etc) so being a part of the working world can help with this.
>>
>>7460270
literally "I read the wikipedia page of Nietzsche so I know every aspect of him" the poster
>>
>>7459305
Is OP still here? If he is, I want to wish him the best of luck.

Make an exception of yourself and you might become exceptional. It's undeniable that most people are slaves. Especially mentally. They have all kinds of ways of justifying their worthless lives and criticizing people like you is one of their favorite. Don't let them get to you. I believe in you, but you have to always believe in yourself, too. The moment you let them in, you're finished.

Human life is so compromised. Yet, we recognize our potential for greatness every day. But we don't try. There's nothing worse than criticizing those who actually have the courage to do so. Nothing more sickening than people trying to turn their cowardice and conformity into a virtue. They could not be more proud to waste everything about what they are and could possibly be.

And this is coming from someone who has to work with slaves pretty much every day.
>>
>>7459305
Well, is yr family rich?
If it is, keep on keepin' on
>>
File: txidvr8.jpg (47 KB, 1191x671) Image search: [Google]
txidvr8.jpg
47 KB, 1191x671
>>7460478
I like the way you think.
>>
>>7459305
I always wonder how people like OP can do what they do.
My parents are very wealthy but if I weren't in school and weren't working, they would never agree to support me.
Don't they ever push you to, like, you know, get a job and do stuff?
>>
>>7459867
religious institutions are tax exempt
>>
>>7460622
A hermit in the woods doesn't really qualify as an institution does it?
>>
>>7460478
>Is OP still here? I
Yes I am, but the thread got too big for me to handle so I will read it when I wake up.

Thanks for your comments, all of you.
>>
>>7459740
>copy and pasting from the wikipedia article on Guy Debord
I'm the guy that wrote that wiki entry
>>
>>7460478
Underrated toast.
>>
I'm a patrician and I agree with the sentiment expressed in that quotation / image.
>>
>>7460143
I, 100% agree with this post.

There was a time last year during my second semester at uni. I completely stopped attending lectures, didn't hand in my assignments, didn't get out of bed and pretty much browsed 4chan 24/7. At first, I too thought I was some enlightened being, watching my peers struggle and stress over stupid exams that essentially meant nothing in the big picture. I did this for the entire semester and failed all my subjects. After that happened, I felt awakened.

I thought long and hard and dug around philosophy books. And I really asked myself whether I was happy. It took me all that time, money & effort (lack thereof) to realise that my life was worse than that of a beggar. While they struggled to exist on very little means, I was consuming large quantities as supported by my parents. I didn't just feel useless, I felt nauseated at my existence. I essentially felt like the parasite that I am. And after a while, those leisure activities no longer became fun, it was about passing time, about numbing myself so I didn't think about how much of a loser I was, it was about running away.

By the beginning of the new semester, I vowed to myself that any progress was better than the empty existence which I'd endured for the last few months. Yeah I cried a lot over the stress of uni work, over not making many friends, over my own inferiority and weakness and stupidity but everything was better than being numb.

Sometimes I wonder if I regret my last semester, if only I could go back and change everything, I wouldn't have to work twice as hard to rebuild my life again, to fix my horrendous GPA, to build healthy relationships. But this, this is what life is about. Struggling, falling, learning, hoping, crying. All of that, and if you always just take the easiest way out, convincing yourself that your enlightened mind has surpassed the materialism of this capitalistic society, then you are just that, a loser. Not because you're scared but because you're letting it eat at you in a passive fashion.

My motto right now is just to try my best, whatever happens happens, all this struggle is infinitely better than being a burden to my parents and to society to essentially existing as a pest.
>>
>>7459327
>you would rather make your mom and dad experience that pain
Yes, of course, you natalist fuck. Breeders are disgusting creatures and they should have reconsidered doing so or at the very least created a more independent and ignorant being. If you're 22 and a NEET there is obviously something wrong, probably a subtle abuse from one or both parents for most of your life. Your parents created you and if they're not prepared to deal with any consequences of their own creation then they are degenerates.
>>
>>7460715
>>7460143
Literally normie propaganda. Daily reminder that William Styron, Cormac McCarthy, H.P. Lovecraft, Michel Houellebecq, Emily Dickinson, Patrick Suskind and many, many more GOAT-tier writers were voluntarily unemployed. The fact you are so masochistic and ridden with guilt does not mean all those who have time to themselves are somehow as stupid with their time or as childishly content as you are. Please go back to reddit.
>>
>>7459587
>They will still go to their jobs for as long as they had originally planned, whether I work or not
Yeah, but they could use their wages to pay whatever the fuck they wanted or needed instead clothing, x products and extra food for you.
>>
File: Bukowski_by_Crumb.jpg (21 KB, 180x195) Image search: [Google]
Bukowski_by_Crumb.jpg
21 KB, 180x195
Bukowski was a great writer. He was full of shit but that is not exclusive of being a great writer. All of your jawbagging about; what degree one can be an outsider vs. how much you should enjoy you're privilege is a bunch of horseshit and Buk crapped bigger than any of you console jockies live.
>>
>>7460732
This. Or they already had access to money in the first place (Byron, Wilde, Orwell, etc).
>>
>>7460478
>>7460600
>>7460703
Fuck off, samefag.
>>
>>7460478
This.
Follow your dreams op. I myself am a slave to my mothers will, but of my own choice. That's freedom enough to make her happy and I'll carry the burden for now
>>
>>7460162
Does Bloom actually claim to be able to read 1000pph? So he read Gravity's Rainbow in like, 40 minutes?

What a putz.
>>
You should go in to STEM, specifically programming. It's still the wild West compared to stuff like finance or engineering. Companies just want good programmers. You aren't buried in bullshit. Or you could go in to cushy overpaid public sector work.

The problem with most jobs is that they explicitly demand much more than you turn up for the set hours and do the work. These days if you refuse to socialise with coworkers in and out of work, if you refuse to act in an artificially happy way with coworkers, if you refuse to get little bits of your free time chipped away regularly ("oh, you should come in five minutes before your scheduled shift time [where the 5 minutes will be unpaid]", also my previous part time job where I'd always finish at 9 pm and would have to wait 10 minutes before being allowed to leave), you're out of there.
>>
>>7460850
implying Bloom read Tha' Pinch.
>>
>>7460876
Tha' Pinch.

That needs to be the new Pinecone.

Also, I'm sure he has. He refers to old buddy pinecone sometimes as old mate pinecone buddy ole pal, and he states him as one of teh l33t best
>>
>>7459313
And he died alone, poor and miserable.
>>
>>7460883
> implying the ego and its own isnt an attempt at bullshittin the death of his first wife and their child
Stirner was a dead man walking ever since i can guarantee you
>>
Bukowski quit his job at the post office to try and be a NEET then begged (literally begged) to have the job back.
>>
>>7459305

>My goal in life is to make an exceptional work of art, whether it is an album, a film, a game, or a book. I know fully that I may not be able to live "leeching-off" of my parents for the years to come and that I will be forced to work a wageslave job, but for now I have 0 interest in making money

Don't put leeching off in quotations.

My dad lived this life. Our family, in the generation before him, we were practically gentry. Then my dad spent 10-15 years as a NEET, burning through his inheritance, living in a manor and painting. He finally picked up a job as an art teacher when he couldn't NEET it any more.

The real kicker is he hasn't saved anything for his retirement, and is fully expecting that his sons (me and my brother) provide for him.

His art is quite fine, and he greatly enjoyed what he did. But understand the level of self-involvement here, the level of narcissism. My dad used up everything the generations before him had spent centuries acquiring, and is now expecting other end of his family line to pay for him.

I agree with you that wageslaving is shitty. But when your close ones are providing for you through it, you're basically just condemning your loved ones to an even shittier wageslave experience. That requires profound narcissism to keep up for any longer period of time.
>>
>>7460178
>Living neet can be hardship.

Tell me about it. Just yesterday Mom came back from the grocery store with the nacho cheese kind of Doritos when I wanted the cool ranch kind. I was fucking pissed off. I yelled at her to go back and when she wouldn't I slammed my door and cried.
>>
>>7460894
For money reasons. When he really got the chance to be free from it he took it.
>>
>>7460873
>You should go in to STEM, specifically programming. It's still the wild West compared to stuff like finance or engineering. Companies just want good programmers. You aren't buried in bullshit.
Is it really as easy as you make it sound? Because while I'm not particularly interested in programming I've found it to be quite easy whenever I tried it, and I would like a simple job with a modest pay that is completely separate from the art I want to do.
>>
>>7460896
>implying all neets live with their parents
no mate
>>
>>7460935
I think a NEET who lives with his parents is better than a NEET on the dole, for the simple fact that in the former the burden is localized to the parents that really did fuck up somewhere along the line.

A NEET on the dole is essentially everyone's burden and far easier to find fault with for that reason. There is also direct communication in the former whereas the latter takes with nary a word spoken to him, so when he says he doesn't want to work everyone can say "well, we don't want to work for you."
>>
>>7460949
Many people return to live with their parents at some point, if only for a few months between jobs. Kafka lived with his parents, John Kennedy Toole lived with this parents, Borges lived with his mother, Kerouac lived with his mother, and many others. You are literally a braindead normie with zero perspective. Please go back to theartofmanliness.com or whatever other bro-tier website has made you so retarded.
>>
>>7460949
>implying a society with mass unemployment didn't fuck up somewhere along the line as well

It's not the NEET's fault he is NEET unless you live in a country where the number of job openings outnumber the number of unemployed people, which pretty much doesn't exist.

It's really silly to blame the jobness within a system where 5% or more is perpetually, necessarily unemployed. It's like playing a game of chairs and expecting nobody to lose.
>>
>>7460949
You're a garbage human being
>>
>>7460949
Yeah that's right anonymous, a huge amount of those great artists that you yourself probably read, listen to or watch are all ''burdens''.
There are literally thousands of bands, books and films that would never have seen the light of day if it wasn't for the safety net of social security allowing them not to resort to begging or starving to death. As an example, I can name more than 10 bands that all lived on the dole before, during or even after the release of their first album... that eventually made more money for the good ol' govment in taxes than you could ever make in your entire life of working.

Also,
a neet living with parents (in most cases but not all) is a manchild who lacks courage and true grit and is essentially just a lazy fat slob. A lot of them have never worked a single day in their lives. In most cases is scared of work because well, fear of the unknown.

a neet living on their own: Someone who has more than likely worked before, has ventured out into the world and has atleast some experiences of the ''big wide world'' without the aid of their parents. Not scared of work, just simply refuse to work for their own reasons.
>>
How can you create art if you're a shut in who spends time reading theoretical works about creating art. It won't speak to anyone. All you are doing is escapism in a safe place.
>>
>dropped out college with a 3.79 GPA while on full ride at private university
>bartended for three years saving money
>spent the last year in foreign countries using drugs and fucking young, beautiful european girls
I'm a NEET and often question my life decisions but now I see some people do it worse than I do
>>
>>7460949

>the parents that really did fuck up somewhere along the line.

Blame game always be lame mane.
>>
>>7461006
Yeah, nah, you're retarded and obviously have zero knowledge of the lives of authors. H.P. Lovecraft barely left his home, Pessoa barely altered his routine, many others too.

You're likely a pleb who thinks hitch-hiking to Denmark is a sign of maturity and "experience".
>>
>>7461018
>H.P. Lovecraft
Yeah but he had a fucked up childhood and suffering and creativity go hand in hand as we know. He didn't live with his parents, infact If I recall he hated his mother

>You're likely a pleb who thinks hitch-hiking to Denmark is a sign of maturity and "experience".
Well it is an experience isn't it? I'm not even who you were replying to but sheeiit, you're retarded mate.
>>
>>7461018
Firstly Lovecraft is hardly the staple author for quality writing. Secondly he wasn't a neet and his experience was that of insignificance and fear from niggers.
He was also married. He was writing to survive, wasn't earning much money.
Routine doesn't remove from the experience.
>>
File: 1366058339141.png (300 KB, 469x540) Image search: [Google]
1366058339141.png
300 KB, 469x540
>>7459327
>You would rather make your mom and dad experience that pain than take it on yourself.
Why the hell would you feel sympathy for them? They're failed parents, and they're solely responsible for their child being a worthless NEET by not raising him properly.

Not to mention that they're still continuously enabling the NEET lifestyle of their kid by supporting him. If they actually cared about him and his future, they would force him to get his shit together.
>>
>>7459681
>8 hours of sleep
7 is enough
>>
>>7461108
It's always someone else's fault, isn't it?
>>
>>7459815

I've always wanted to do something like this, how do I get in? I'm in US tho
>>
>>7461044
He was a NEET you ignorant sperg. Firstly he was kept by his mother, and then by his rich aunts and then by his wife Sonia, who worked while he stayed at home.
>>
>>7461171
Not for everybody normie
>>
>>7461197
"I’ve always figured out that there 24 hours a day. You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
>>
>People laugh off image related as juvenile, but I can't help but agree with it.

Of course we do. Have you ever been forced into a situation you hated and your only option left was to rationalise and accept it?

This is what we do when we "grow up". We hate the prospect of a boring office job, but once we realise we're not creative enough for anything else and we don't have the organized political power to improve our situation, we try to pretend it's ok.
>>
>>7461314
>we try to pretend it's ok

And to make feel others as lazy, useless fucks if they dont engage into submision aswell.
>>
>>7460692
>Bragging to strangers that I wrote some shit on Wikipedia.
Not contributing with anything of value ITT
>>
>>7461209
That's retarded. Some people simply need more hours of sleep. It's biological.
>>
>>7462952
sleep faster, sissy
>>
>>7462952
>Some people simply need more hours of sleep. It's biological.
Being fat is in my genes, stop oppressing me.
>>
>>7459305
human existence is doing stuff you don't want

it always has been and it always will be

you think tribesman want to chase a deer all day? farmers want to till the soil? salarymen want to commute to work?

just because we aren't fighting to stay alive doesn't mean we don't 'have' to do things. we couldn't remove ourselves from the 'contrivances' of modern society and still have peace, prosperity, ample food, medicine, etc. if we scaled back on participation we would scale back on the fruits of our collective labor.

if everyone quit the rat race they would soon find themselves tilling soil or chasing deer.
>>
>>7462976
How?
>>7462990
That's completely different. Why would I even argue against this? To stop being fat requires months of exercise, to stop sleeping 9 hours is just not doable for me and I've tried many times.
>>
>>7463020
That's completely different. Why would I even argue against this? To stop sleeping 9 hours you need to set an alarm clock, to stop being fat is just not doable for me and I've tried many times.
>>
>>7459305
>People laugh off image related as juvenile,
Only fools do so.
I don't like Bukowski, but he's right on this one. This said, it is not excuse for being a neet.
>>
>>7460208
So?
>>
>>7463079
>This said, it is not excuse for being a neet.
Why not? Isn't something being horrible reason enough to avoid it?
>>
>>7462952
There are in fact psychological studies that have trained people to reduce their sleep, without loss of cognitive abilities. The basic thought behind it is that the loss of cognitive abilities is given when people radically reduced their sleep, instead of gradually; the tests made people reduce from fifteen to thirty minutes of sleep every month until they sleep four hours. Finished the testing, most test-subjects were below their original sleeping time with no harm in their cognitive abilities, sleeping around six hours.
>>
>>7463067
I've bought at least 3 different alarm clocks, downloaded many apps for my phones (with various mechanisms like math equation solving to turn off), putting them in other rooms. I can't help it. Ever since I can remember I've been like this. Even as a kid I never watched the so-called "morning cartoons". In high school my father had to literally drag me out of bed every morning.
>>
>>7463131
Have you seen a doctor?
>>
>>7463233
No, I really doubt I have some sort of illness regarding it. It's just I'm... very prone to sleeping and it's hard to break me out of that state (stopping the alarm and going back to sleep is tradition to me).
>>
>>7463354
I really doubt you don't have some condition if you can't get up without being forced. That goes beyond merely being weak willed.
>>
>>7459699
my friend, let me share a little bit of life advice with you.

it's a mental trick, or a rule, or something like that—in any case, it's very effective.

The trick, or rule, is this: if, in thinking about a subject, you begin to blame your parents for things they have or haven't done, stop. Don't let yourself think that way. Tell yourself, dogmatically, "It's not right for me to blame my parents."

If you stick to this rule, you'll become a happier and more likable person.
>>
>>7463383
>dude don't let unpleasant thoughts ruin your day man even if they're true xD
>>
File: 1440904389999.png (89 KB, 408x660) Image search: [Google]
1440904389999.png
89 KB, 408x660
>tfw i have finnish citizenship and they're introducing a citizen-salary, in replacement of subsidies etc

be ready for paradigm shifting masterpieces
>>
File: 1361134842755.jpg (42 KB, 389x478) Image search: [Google]
1361134842755.jpg
42 KB, 389x478
>>7463800
>finposters will now have universal basic income and 100% free time

god save us all
>>
>>7459305
please kill yourself
>>
>>7463814
100% free time to contemplate their dark snowy cold Finnish existence and eventually off themselves
>>
>>7463814
join us brother
>>7463829
we all should tbqhfam
>>7463847
are you familiar with the warmth of a bears hide, vodka, saunas and (according to the rest of the world) underaged finnish pussy?
>>
File: coffee.png (42 KB, 418x833) Image search: [Google]
coffee.png
42 KB, 418x833
>>7463847
They found a cheap antidepressant I'm afraid.
>>
File: dutchpepe.png (13 KB, 415x405) Image search: [Google]
dutchpepe.png
13 KB, 415x405
>>7463869
>join us brother
I wish breh, no basic income in sight here yet.
>>
>>7463847
the land of a thousand lakes, it's fucking sublime dude, go take a sweaty dump on the equator you pleb
>>7463878
i'll share mine with you senpai, also a truckload o' inheritance coming my way, i got you m8
>>
>>7463800
>Tfw you weren't born in the easternmost reaches of the empire
Everyone speaks the language of the oppressors from across the sea in Helsinki, yes? Can I come live there and collect neet euros?
>>
>>7463911
Nice, we can create a meme headquarter on a lake and drink koskenkorva
>>
>>7463962
>muh amerika greatest nation
no mortals can oppress the fins, peak sovjet failed and so shall all who try, you are welcome for trial
>>7463970
i prefer to write indoors, my manor (with appurtenant lakes if you'd still fancy) will do
>>
File: 8.png (195 KB, 1506x1506) Image search: [Google]
8.png
195 KB, 1506x1506
>>7464052
>muh amerika
you have me confused
>no mortals can oppress the fins
>
>>
>>7463970
yes, sorry
>>7464128
ledsen, ångest som spökar
>>
>>7464205
ta hand om dig bubben
>>
>>7461186
Any local technical college will do anon. It's supposed to be a great field to get in to. Good luck!
>>
>>7461209
Arnold is one hell of a time-and-motion engineer. He'd probably try to teach a bear how to eat berries from a bush more efficiently. I'll sleep as long as I please, if only to stay away from the horrifying world of zekdom/wage slavery a little while longer.
>>
>>7463006
Chasing deer and exploring mountain passes sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than what passes for entertainment these days. Some might even see some of the activities of tribal peoples as a form of play, although I wouldn't go as far as glorifying all that they had to do.
>>
>>7464269
<3
>>
>>7464329
I'm sorry but he wouldn't exactly need to be a motion - mechanical - engineer
>>
>>7464329
>I'll sleep as long as I please, if only to stay away from the horrifying world of zekdom/wage slavery a little while longer.
You realise that sleeping longer doesn't mean your boss will let you come in later, right? It just means you have less free time.
>>
>>7463006
hunter-gatherers tended to only have to do something for four hours a day though, and medieval peasants had 150 holidays a year.

excessive work is a modern, industrial, capitalist thing.
>>
File: the_moon_and_sixpence.jpg (44 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
the_moon_and_sixpence.jpg
44 KB, 312x500
>>7459305
>do you know of any piece of literature that makes an argument for a lifestyle of "laziness"?

This is what you're looking for
>>
>>7465582
This really depends on which peasants and when. But hunter-gatherers is dead on (except in famine). Also the division of labour and leisure wasn't quite so stark, if you're a peasant woman out washing cloth with your peasant woman friends and gabbing and singing away merrily then that's fun.
>>
>>7459757
>How are you ever going to share your ''art'' if all you do is jerk off?

Don't question my art
>>
>>7459305
In praise of idleness.
>>
Resorting to cliched namecalling has no effect on the contemporary NEET. We are economic auto-didacts, self-taught philosophers and gifted visionaries. While others waste their life labouring under the orders of those who see only material cost in life, we pursue leisure above all else, knowing as we do that leisure and time to oneself is the basis of genius. Despite many people disliking the culture and society they help maintain through their work, and despite understanding now that we have only a single life on earth and that any meaning we attribute to it as the result of self-willed or socially-inculcated ideologies, they continue to wake early and trudge to their jobs for one single reason: Guilt. Throughout time religions have taken advantage of Man's guilt, a guilt experienced for no logical reason except that he unlike other animals is a self-aware being whose abstract thoughts conflict with the apparently practical, rational reality he finds himself a part of. We post-guilt NEETs will not bow to internal or external pressures encouraging us to sacrifice our contentment and sensitive dispositions for the sake of attaining money, or womenfolk. We alone stand proudly, detached from but keenly observant of the slave masses who yell at us for not being as unhappy as they are. We alone, we band of true men, defend our right to live a dignified life against those wishing to deprive of us of it. Yes you can mock, you can criticize, you can echo the demands your masters make upon you. But who is likely to regret their lives more? The noble and dignified NEETs who spend their truly precious time reading, pondering, philosophizing and engaging in critical, urgent debate online? Or the miserable, resentful masses, their eyes bloated and sagged by excess folds of skin, their hair falling out and their gums bleeding from stress, their bowels destroyed by a sedentary lifestyle spent at their desks clicking endlessly while their boss breaths down their necks? This is reality. This is 2015. We are the future.
>>
>>7460162
>The vast vast majority of all great artists either had one of three things:
>blather
>blather
>blather
>blather
>blather

Stop. The vast vast majority of great artists made some fucking art. Money and privilege helps. Yeah, your life doesn't look like DFW's or some other tortured white dude /lit loves to stroke it to.

The only thing all great artists had in common is that they made art. The rest is noise.
>>
>>7459305
Honestly I'm at the crossroad between working part-time to have time to read and write a lot and pursuing a career in politics.
And I think that I'm going to pursue my dream of writing half of the week.
Not a neet per see since I will be somewhat self-sufficient, but still. Follow your dream anon.
>>
File: 1444014128715.gif (13 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1444014128715.gif
13 KB, 633x758
>>7465807
>if you're a peasant woman out washing cloth with your peasant woman friends and gabbing and singing away merrily then that's fun.
That sounds nice. I read an article once that claimed medieval peasants used to play hide and seek and other games in the village, adults and all, since they were all illiterate and there was no entertainment. Sounds really comfy.
>>
>>7460990
Except in my country we have a surplus of work. There is literally enough work for everyone. There is so much work we had to get tens of thousands of people in from overseas to get shit done because we didn't have enough workers. All unemployed in NZ pretty much choose to be that way.
>>
>>7460732
But I like my job. My life is better because of my job. You act like all work forever and for all time is shit and no one could ever possibly enjoy work.
>>
>>7459636
>>7459879
>>7460060
>>7460136
>>7460143
>>7460162
>>7460454
>yfw Milton was a NEET who dropped out of Oxford and leeched off his dad until his thirties, rarely even publishing until then
Godspeed OP
>>
>>7466102
Reminder that Milton had talent where OP probably doesn't.
>>
>>7459327
Bingo.
>>7459587
>but I think this is stretching it too much. I don't believe I'm making them feel any more pain than they would get by me working. They will still go to their jobs for as long as they had originally planned, whether I work or not.
You really think they'd rather take care of you than live their life together, knowing you're doing well out there, that they raised a competent child?
>>
>>7466144
they aren't taking care of me, i look after myself completely, the only exchange of goods and service they provide is monetary currency for food and housing, a very moderate amount as well, specially in regards to their high salaries, im not a economic burden, they could have 50 more of me if they'd like, and i very much think they would, i'm more competent than them and this fact they acknowledge

you are nothing but a competent slave by your defenition, stay pleb m8
>>
When I was a NEET for 3ish years I knew a good dozen other NEETs that I would hang out with. After I stopped the NEET lifestyle I realised that none of them (myself included) were very happy and all of us were to some degree fucked up. My close circle of friends now have jobs which compliment their life and lifestyle and I find it amazing just how much more functional and happy people they are than my older NEET friends.
>>
>>7466196
>i'm a good slave, i make master happy, i make me happy
>>
>>7463095
You break it, you bought it. Breaking it in this case being conceiving me and failing to abort.
>>
>>7459305
31 year old NEET here.
yes working sucks
yes not working sucks
yes it's all the same sucks
Just do you and be happy man.
Don't do the Others 'cause they don' make you happy man.
God doesn't care either because he sucks too.
>>
I'm kind of NEET right now. I'm 22; I worked a seasonal job from March to October the last two years and my parents help me with my living expenses in my apartment with my girlfriend. I started pursuing writing a book in August and my parents have seen the manuscript and are okay for now with me reading and writing and trying to publish. I intend to make my own money, but I would like to do so in writing, which would become exponentially easier were I to become published beyond my modest experience in journalism.
>>
>>7466212
You do know I'm self employed right? Also working for a wage isn't the only way of making money.
>>
>>7466257
what do you do? i bet you sell your service, slave
>>
>>7460056
>WOOFing as a lifestyle
This is genius anon, why did I only consider it as something to do for cheap vacations?
>>
>>7466183
The assumptions are real.
So, they acknowledge being ''less than you'' even though they have enough wealth to take care of 50 children, while you can't provide for yourself.

Starting to get a bad feeling from you, and I don't think it's worth talking to you anymore. Have a good thread disbelieving every one and relying on buzzwords to do so.
>>
>>7466281
I'm a contractor. Easy work, minimal hours, great pay. Set up for very early retirement.
>>
>>7466196
I find this very believable, but I would chalk that up to the psychological pleasures of conformity rather than anything being inherently at fault with not working.

After all, there were times and social circles where work was looking down upon and people who were in need of a job would feel even more ashamed than a NEET would be in our current work-fetishist era.
>>
>>7466102

So your point is that Milton was nothing until he grew past this whole NEETness?

>ITT
>Children who think living off their parents' income is not selfish
>Children who applaud themselves because they consume art others have built but don't give anything back
>Children who think never paying attention to anything is freedom

Don't worry though, I'm 95% certain your nihilistic egocentrism is a phase and you'll eventually grow out of it and actually become a person. You know, like Milton
>>
>>7466344
My problem with NEETs isn't the not working part. I'm the guy who just posted saying I was the contractor working towards early retirement after all. I think a healthy and robust person and live a good life without work. In my experience I have yet to meet a NEET that is like that.

What I don't like about most NEETs is the way they leech off of other people and act like they have a right not to work. They laugh at the world that they need to exist in order to sustain their lifestyle. They need their parents/welfare/whatever and the people who keep those things going by working. It just seems narcissistic. You have to work so I don't because my internal world is richer and worth more than yours.
>>
>>7466329
"less than me" on a wide range of topics and aspects, obviously given the time i spend educating myself. i could provide for myself, even more efficiently than most but i choose otherwise as i dont view it as something admirable, like you do, set your bar a little higher why dont you

every single braindead moron on this godforsaken rock can suck a niggers cock for a wage, its no achievement lol

godspeed, slave
>>
>>7466370
>What I don't like about most NEETs is the way they leech off of other people and act like they have a right not to work. They laugh at the world that they need to exist in order to sustain their lifestyle. They need their parents/welfare/whatever and the people who keep those things going by working. It just seems narcissistic. You have to work so I don't because my internal world is richer and worth more than yours.
Well, in a modern economy it doesn't matter who has a right to work since there simply isn't enough work to go around. Large scale unemployment isn't the result of lazy people simply not engaging with the millions of job openings out there for the taking. It's a structural problem. So it's not so much a right not to work as an impossibility to work.

That said, a lot of the 'NEET supremacy' rhetoric you see is pretty much the result of people being marginalised and dehumanised simply for not being part of the workforce. If you're routinely mock people who lose at the game of chairs despite there not being enough chairs for everyone to win you're going to end up with people who are psychologically arming themselves against the constant attacks.

People wouldn't feel the need to mouth off about the greatness of NEETdom if people weren't constantly expecting them to defend themselves for not doing the impossible.
>>
>>7459840
The only objective reason of our existence is simply to be. So what does it matter if one person's subjective definition of happiness is different from another? In the end what difference does it make?
>>
>>7466407
partly concur with this, and with the current rate of techological evolution there will be less and less "opportunity" to work (slave), i believe this will either lead to total chaos, suicide rates through the roof, a burst of volunteers to the third world, perhaps all

the notion that every single one of us monkeys need to deep throat a niggers cock 9 hours a day for shit not to burst into flames in todays society is complete and utter bullshit, basicly "what do to with life?" keep yourself occupied being a slave to bury your true thoughts
>>
>>7466427
At some point, if shit doesn't hit the fan tremendously or perhaps after it, we'll have to learn to cope with freedom.

I suggest we start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7460478
And which objectivist collective did you come from
>>
File: 1444330980148.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1444330980148.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7466433
>>
>>7466212
Everybody is a slave. The point is to be happy slave.
The only one who isn't a slave is God, and even He became a slave to show us how to be happy slaves.
If you try to not be a slave you just end up a miserable slave, like the Devil or Prometheus, and many characters from literature.
>>
>>7459327
Yeah, and he was a prima sort slacker and an alcoholic who made countless lives miserable.
>>
>>7460895
Right. Whatever your dream is, it is not right to condemn others to a life that you wouldn't want for yourself. Humans are social creatures that cannot live without responsibility.
>>
>>7463383
read
>>7463394

I had abusive parents who rarely held a job, I had to occupy the same room with them until I was 18 (when I ran away), my grandfather was an abusive alcoholic who turned off our water supply when he felt like it. So fuck off with your "parents aren't to blame". If they used a fucking condom I wouldn't have to endure this shithole of a planet. And no, I'm not a NEET nor am I American.
>>
>>7466433
But anon, is there really no other way?
>>
>>7466451
The fact that everyone is a slave is an ontological necessity. We are all creatures, that is we are created and subject to the limitations that our Creator gave us. It is hubris to try and step outside of those limitations. The only kind of being that is not subject to any limitation is a self-caused, self-sufficient, self-willed, and omnipotent being, i.e. God. While a proud man is raging because the world doesn't worship him, or because people don't show him enough respect, or because God didn't give him the fame, beauty, or intelligence that is rightfully is, the rest of creation is blind to the fire consuming his heart, deaf to the rage against God in his soul. Pride is an impotent rage.

America is built on individualist, Promethean notions that every man is a end-in-himself and is destined to be the master of his own private universe (to be his own god). America must be the unhappiest of all the nations to have ever lived.
>>
>>7459699

Wow, this is possibly the most selfish thing I've seen on the internet that wasn't self-detrimental or irony...
>>
>>7465823
>The only thing all great artists had in common is that they made art. The rest is noise.

Tell it like it is boss
>>
>>7466353
You assume every single person in this thread had middle-class upbringing and loving, providing parents. If we take this constans out of equation your whole argument is rendered useless. The dynamics of family relations are usually more nuanced than this.
>>
>>7466474
Commencing with the Chinese, maybe.
>>
File: 163kNGFiuqlitG4yF.jpg (231 KB, 750x1107) Image search: [Google]
163kNGFiuqlitG4yF.jpg
231 KB, 750x1107
Say, what happens when your parents run out of money, slugger?

>>7460732
Okay, let's talk about Lovecraft. Lovecraft is a great example of why this "I HATE NORMIES" lifestyle will leave you weak and helpless, unable to maintain a marriage, and probably bring about your lonely, miserable, premature death.

"Not long after the marriage, Greene lost her business (...); she also became ill. Lovecraft made efforts to support his wife through regular jobs, but his lack of previous work experience meant he lacked proven marketable skills."
Voluntarily unemployed my ass.

In addition, Lovey couldn't take much punishment. "Lovecraft was in reality extremely sensitive to criticism and easily precipitated into withdrawal. He was known to give up trying to sell a story after it had been once rejected."

As such, I agree with this guy >>7460143

Weak doesn't just mean soft. It also means undisciplined. Most NEETs keep saying they'll create excellent art or make a successful game, but they're too addicted to distractions to carry out their plans.

More generally:
Q: What's with BNW? Why is soma bad?
A: Because you are left defenseless to the outside world. This situation is bad enough on its own.

"LOL, MY DAD IS LOADED." Even if your parents are incredibly wealthy then you still need to reconsider. Sitting in your room all day sounds fun if you're going to read books but hoarding knowledge is not the same as solving problems for other people. Access to some digital shitholes is not the same as access to social circles. You are stranded. You can't get married if you want to and will probably never understand courtship to begin with. You do not understand what it means to be competitive or good at selling yourself, both of which are necessary even for artists or your work will remain invisible. You are limited in your ability to gain wisdom through life experience and will never have anything to write about. Finally, hardship outside of your bubble will give you an actual reason to look into philosophy, most obviously stoicism, whereas sitting in your room all day can be overcome by simply applying more soma. Soma will be the end of you. Get away from it. Run for your fucking life.
>>
>>7466746
>unable to maintain a marriage
>social circles
>can't get married
>can't understand courtship
>selling yourself

You're a biological reductionist's dream, anon.
>>
>>7466746
I'm not even them, but why does it seem like you care so much for your own preconceived notion of what a life should be about? No one cares about your opinion but yourself. Society can't function without people attending their jobs and procreating, no shit. Tell me something I don't know. On an individual (call it "selfish", if you like) level it's everyone versus the inevitable, and we won't survive, so why act like some condescending guru? Can you even define "the outside world" anymore? Call me a snob, but academics in the 80s predicted how incredibly dense and incoherent the world would become in the next 30 years and they were right. Nobody knows what's going on and the best you can do is pretend that the 40 year old model of life is still somehow relevant. We will all get pretty fucking disappointed, soon.
>>
>>7466797
How's that magnum opus coming along, anon? The one about the lonely NEET completely alienated from humanity? I hope the protagonist doesn't have to show too much social or emotional intelligence.

>>7466802
-why do you care so much
It's fun to type this shit out. Who knows, it might also motivate one of these 20-something smartasses to escape their self-inflicted hell before it's too late. It's easier to learn new skills when you're younger, old sport.

-tell me something I don't know
Freedom. You miss out on the freedom to move out and go somewhere else when you finally get sick of that fucking basement, or that town you hate, or that apartment you have to share with intolerable hooligans.

-can you define the outside world anymore?
The pavement. It's what you get to sleep on when you don't plan out your future and your dad blows all his money on the stock market.

-nobody knows what's going on
Why not join those academics you like so much and become an expert in your field? You could even become a neuroscientist one day so you'll know for absolute dead fucking certain that people learn faster when they're younger and that a certain window of opportunity in your twenties is never ever coming back.
>>
>>7459305
Work is difficult, but you have to look at it in a historical context. For most of human history you could be left on the savannah for breaking a foot, or being a social misfit who was forced from a group. Since the domestication of plants, work was hard physical labour on a piece of land that you were forced to work in servitude, either as a land-bound peasant like your father before you or as a literal slave. You couldn't read or write, violence was almost constant and you died at a young age (after watching half of your children die). Since the industrial revolution, you worked from a young age in horrible conditions doing dangerous manual work to live a dirty, cramped, disease-ridden existence.

The reality is that today's world, while far from perfect, is about the best in terms of work that human beings have ever experienced. Certainly in Europe, U.S. etc. I work 9-5 in an air-conditioned office reading documents, I get my weekends off, I get 2 paid holidays per month and I make enough money to use these to go to London, Paris etc. with my girlfriend. Work is not that bad, certainly for a university-educated person and even most manual jobs now in the West (construction etc.) are decent as well. Nowhere near as dangerous as they were, with far more rights etc.

Again, I'm not saying work is perfect and I have worked jobs that I have hated but it really isn't that bad. We live in a pretty good time. It could be better, and we should strive to make it so, but it's still not bad.
>>
>>7467221
>this rustles the NEET

That is a fact that is lost on people today, now is the best time to be living in.
>>
>>7467175
You're projecting so much it makes my head hurt. I wrote that in another thread, but here you go: you're assuming that everyone ITT is a middle-class, spoiled brat with caring and providing parents. Take that out of the equation and your argument becomes laughable.

Get your head out of your ass and understand that it's not 1975 anymore and your suburban, no-nonsene advice is worthless. You're spouting obvious, condescending bullshit that'll motivate and help nobody.

How do I know you're not roleplaying? If anything, posts like yours are killing this website. This used to be a place where content met content, with containment boards created so that people like you don't ruin everything (see /r9k/ and /adv/). Go back to wherever you came from and don't return.
>>
>>7461175
Ignoring all culpability is not maturity.
>>
>>7467221
There's more to life than material comforts though. You could say also live in the most socially and spiritually barren and detached time ever, with less social cohesion and sense of community than ever before and with all sort of strange new stimuli and structures. On the other side you could also we're more connected than ever but that also has all kinds of strange implications.

I'm not one to go all noble savage but modernity comes with a lot of psychological side effects which we poor savannah apes are only beginning to understand. We've changed our way of living very radically in the last mere 0.5 to 1% of human history. Our culture and technology is evolving at a pace where things have already changed by the time we come to terms a bit with the last thing. We went from horseback to spaceships within the lifespan of a person. It's not that strange that a lot of people lose their shit and are completely out of their element. If anything it's a wonder most of us function as well as we do. That said, I think we also live in the most interesting time yet (and comfortable in a lot of ways as you said) and I'll gladly take it over any other era to be alive now.

>>7467311
As a NEET I'm not rustled at all. I couldn't imagine have so few obligations in any other era.
>>
>>7467538
>There's more to life than material comforts though
and what would that be?
This world is complete shit and most people's lives are spent suffering and worrying, why is being at ease so bad?
>>
Don't bother justifying NEETdom. There is no justification and that's the point. I'm not pro-NEET but these normalfag arguments are just plain awful.
>>7466475
That's beautiful, I'm serious.
>>
>>7467567
>and what would that be?
I meant simply that the way modern life is structured can have unforeseen psychological side effects. Such as all the worrying you mention, for example.
>>
>>7467584
Oh, I thought you were castigating hedonism for no reason, my bad.
>>
>>7466478
Calling parents out for their selfishness isn't selfish, mate.
>>
>>7467569
seek medical attention m8
>>
>>7466746
Yo dude who is this manga artist again?
>>
>>7467652
Junji Ito , senpai
It's from the manga 'Uzumaki'
>>
File: 1380769019501.jpg (80 KB, 626x792) Image search: [Google]
1380769019501.jpg
80 KB, 626x792
>>7466478
Y-you too!
>>
>>7467657
Thanks man. I've been meaning to marathon all his shit.

It's funny the guy posted him, I remember reading a story of his where the protagonist was a NEET and his old school chum justified is lifestyle for him.
>>
>>7467648
Why?
>>
>>7467670
do you hate another school of thought? do you want to discredit it but lack the analytical tools? call me and within a week you will receive a detailed analysis of how your rival philosophy leads to fascism! call now!
>>
>>7467658
Rare Stirner?
>>
>>7466212
> A job is slavery
>Something no one forces you to take is slavery.

Wew lad.
>>
File: 1441616756233.gif (1 MB, 160x192) Image search: [Google]
1441616756233.gif
1 MB, 160x192
>>7467846
>easily refuted semantics
>>
>>7460162
You mongoloid, art isnt just about adversity, its about point of view. Not every artist is a child prodigy genius with 10000 hours of practice within the first ten years of their life.
>>
>>7467338
>accuses someone of projecting
>is projecting
>>
>>7466196
Where did you find neet friends? How do neets even meet each other?
>>
>>7467886
So you have no argument then, typical.
>>
>>7467846
Yes, because being homeless and starving on the street is a freedom.
>>
File: 1448429620001.png (103 KB, 1437x908) Image search: [Google]
1448429620001.png
103 KB, 1437x908
>>
>>7468204
i do, you just lack the analytical tools to recognize it senpai, i'm not obliged to dumb it down to crayon-level and won't
>>
File: neet.png (50 KB, 931x291) Image search: [Google]
neet.png
50 KB, 931x291
>>7468210
when will they learn?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.