[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books that shouldn't be read in any language other than English?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: cover.jpg (61 KB, 327x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
61 KB, 327x500
At the top of my head, The Catcher in the Rye seems like the most obvious choice, but what other novels are there?

> I'm not counting poetry because I'm currently resorting to only reading poems in my native language.
>>
>>7458291
All that were written in English
>>
I'm learning German, is it a good idea to attempt to read something like Hesse?
>>
>>7458882
/thread. Also, I'll go out on a limb and suggest "Waiting for Godot."
>>
are you that spanish guy? go meme elsewhere
>>
File: jfmsu.png (183 KB, 370x359) Image search: [Google]
jfmsu.png
183 KB, 370x359
>Thought Lolita was written in russian
>Read the swedish version
>>
>>7458291
I try to read all the books that are originally written in english in english.

This is very hard for me with political manifestos and other damn tough literature.

Still it makes my english better so i cant complain.
>>
>>7458902
I bet the bookstore clerks laughed about you as soon as you left
>>
>>7458898
kek
>>
>>7458291
Out of all the books in the English world, Catcher? One written in a grating teenage patois?
That is one of the last books you should worry about translational issues.
>>
>>7461969
Holden can't be fully understood without knowing how American teenagers talk. I don't know if other languages could accurately translate the pissed off 16 y/o vernacular. Maybe my knowledge of other languages besides English isn't comprehensive enough, but I'm still skeptical.
>>
>>7462169
He can be though
He doesn't use some dialect unique to American teenagers
>>
>>7458895
>translated to french almost instantly by Beckett himself
>>
>>7462275
That was my point. I feel it works far better in English.
>>
>>7461969
I read all of Holden's dialogue with a New Jersey accent. Jersey Shore was new and popular (? citation needed) at the time I was reading CitR. It makes him sound like twice the whinger.
>>
>>7458291
Joyce, Woolf, Dickens, Melville, Fitzgerald, Lowry...
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.