[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Haven't read much literature overall. Can read English reasonably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: deepest.jpg (54 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
deepest.jpg
54 KB, 850x400
Haven't read much literature overall.
Can read English reasonably well.

Could I enjoy Pynchon? or do I need to really understand English langauge or some deep shit
>>
meme author. fuck off
>>
>>7458216
Meme opinion. Fuck off.
>>
I guess the most 'complex' writer I've read in English was Gene Wolfe and sometimes I needed to re-read what I had read and use some dictionary.
>>
>>7458211
You might not get most of his references, but he's not totally inaccessible, just much different than what you would expect from a novel, in the sense that cause and effect (I.e., this event happened, which caused this, which later caused this) are played with on such an extreme level, that it's going to be fairly frustrating at the beginning. Keep reminding yourself that it's intentional, and then it'll be very fun and very satisfying to read.
>>
where do you get the idea you should go from not reading to reading pynchon? its so strange he's become this meme on 4chan when he's a pretty niche writer and kind of the opposite of the 4chan mentality

do you like goofy comedy, left wing politics, beat/hippy culture, challenging literature, and adventure stories?
>>
>>7458249
Thanks. I'll probably get IV since I saw the movie and liked it and then GR because I've read quite bit of discussion about it in /lit/.

>>7458256
I read. I probably don't read much in comparison to /lit/.

>where do I get the idea.
Because I've read couple of threads about him in here.
>>
>>7458211
what page was that quote on?
>>
>>7458259
Inherent Vice is a good movie but isn't translated very well onto the screen, it doesn't capture that sense of does-this-matter-or-is-it-only-coincidence that his novels have, which leaves the reader with that feeling of "Aha! I've figured it out" only to be further led down the rabbit hole of paranoia.
>>
>>7458278
Even more of a reason to get IV as a book then.
>>
>>7458270
its from when Slothrop is reading the teletype printout on imipolex g at hermann goering and discovers the Shell conspiracy

proverb for paranoids 3: if they can get you asking the wrong questions they don't have to worry about answers
>>
how the fuck do you pronounce Pynchon?
I thought it was "pine-chawn" but I see people here pronounce it "pine-cone"???
>>
>>7458358
pin chon
or
pinch in
>>
>>7458358
Pyan-kin
>>
>>7458358
Pine cone is a joke, but it's not far off the actual pronunciation. Look at it as pync-hon. Peeng-kon
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.