[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on The School of Life? Is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: t4b34aa57n3.jpg (9 KB, 312x162) Image search: [Google]
t4b34aa57n3.jpg
9 KB, 312x162
What's your opinion on The School of Life? Is it just a meme?
>>
I like it. They were my introduction to Epicureanism, and Stoicism.
>>
Okay if you want inaccurate summaries that morph philosophy into self-help.
>>
They're pretty bullshit. They condense too much at the cost of quality.

And some of their videos are really cringy. Like Vice-tier.
>>
Their summaries of philosophers can be overly simplified. The rest of it is pretty solid.

>>7456735
>Implying philosophy is anything more than a thinking man's self-help.
>>
They're interesting. They only emphasize the ethical portions of many philosophies since they are a self-help/emotional intelligence program, and they sometimes omit really crucial epistemological and ontological elements of the philosophies they cover to make philosophy seem primarily about ethics. For example their Schopenhauer video goes fairly deeply into his ethics and social attitudes, but totally ignores the metaphysics that is primary to his system.

They seem to waver between pessimism and optimism. I'm not really sure what dialogue they're trying to build about how to treat people. It seems like it mostly boils down to "be nice and understanding."
>>
>>7457040
It's not senpai. Thinking such is kektier
>>
>>7457054
Then please elaborate, without using memes.
>>
>>7456315
i want to bang the hot student girl
>>
>>7456315
Serves as an OK pop-phil intro to get people interested and answer a typical question of "what is practical about learning philosophy?" It however answers this question in a very disconcerting way that gives wrong impressions about the field and the works.

It makes many interpretive and even factual mistakes in the videos and covers these up by saying these videos are not intended to be educational but rather "inspirational".

It would serve much better to watch Rick Roderick's introductory lessons on Youtube and the historyofphilosophy.com podcasts while going through the actual literature. I would not recommend this channel to anyone.

It's frankly worse than Wisecrack's 8-bit Philosophy because at least that doesn't present itself as so authoritative as this series does while giving the wrong impressions and incorrect information.
>>
>>7457112
>historyofphilosophy.com
Sorry http://historyofphilosophy.net/
>>
File: 1408996185560.png (283 KB, 1250x614) Image search: [Google]
1408996185560.png
283 KB, 1250x614
>>7456315

>have a school of life in my area
>decide to check out their website
>its nothing more than courses telling you to 'just be urself, ur bootiful enough!'
>For the minor fee of just 65 euros.

Yes OP, it's nothing but a big meme
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.