[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
Where do I start?
>>
>>7455692
In the trash.
>>
>>7455692
Chronologically, as always.
>>
>>7455695

I'm afraid it's full of Nietzsche
>>
>>7455692

Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7455692
The World as Will and Representation, it's pretty expensive on amazon so try to get a used copy which is like half the price.
>>
>>7455714

Thanks for actually answering my question and not being an asshole.
>>
Essential Schopenhauer anthology. Went in blind and am loving it.

Schopy is too based for his own good
>>
>>7455714
this.

but it's not really expensive, you can get each volume for about 13-14 bucks with free shipping.
>>
His essay "On Women".
>>
>>7455718
It's 'expensive' for me because I budget myself at £30~ when I buy books usually and it's like £20 on amazon but yeah I suppose isn't that pricey compared to out-of-print books.
>>
File: beets.jpg (39 KB, 462x304) Image search: [Google]
beets.jpg
39 KB, 462x304
>>7455692
Start with the beets.
>>
>>7455765

I love boiled beet root.
>>
I've read almost all his essays and the penguin classics edition collects the best parts of them. Bryan Magee's 'Confessions of a Philosopher' goes deep into Schopenhauer, and Christopher Janaway's short introduction is good. After reading those two you should be set for his masterwork.
>>
Start with Kant, Schoppy even says to in the introduciton of will and power
>>
>>7455714
On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason seems to be a better starting point for understanding Schopie
>>
>>7455692
I would start with some of his essays. "On Women" was the first one I read, and it clearly displays his deep pessimism, as well as his admiration towards eastern tradition. After getting a feel for his writing, then you can move on to "The World as Will and Representation"
>>
>>7456327
This, he says explicitly you need to read Fourfold Root first (as well as all of Kant), if any of you had actually read WWR
>>
>>7456534
>as well as all of Kant
who the fuck is going to do this
>>
>>7456540
lol I dunno but I don't think Schopenhauer makes any sense without Kant, although S is really good at explaining Kant's philosophy in a much easier way than K does.
>>
>>7456613
this is why you don't need more than general idea of Kant to read Schopenhauer. He's the rare kind of philosopher who could explain anything to anybody. His books are very well understandable and I'd say enjoyable from language standpoint.
>>
>>7457236
this
just start with WaWaI
if you want to go a little bit more into it you can read the fourfold root (make sure to get the one that includes a part of his theory of colors)

schoppy doesn't need anyone hand-holding your hand to understand him, he's good as it is.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.