[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come he has not responded to Sam Harris yet? Is he afraid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: noam.jpg (2 MB, 1751x2335) Image search: [Google]
noam.jpg
2 MB, 1751x2335
How come he has not responded to Sam Harris yet? Is he afraid he will get a bruising?
>>
that man looks rather jewish
>>
>>7453558
More he can't be arsed talking to Ben Stiller again.
>>
No need. The correspondence that was published showed Harris to be completely outclassed and out of his element, to the point where any reasonably neutral observer would consider him a dishonest and in all respects vastly inferior adversary, essentially unworthy of Chomskys time.

Tldr: Harris got F'd in the A.
>>
>>7453558
The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.
>>
>>7453558
Chomsky is so fucking based yet so patient with idiots.
>>
>>7453611
>an order of magnitude
go away engineer pleb
>>
>>7453624
>based
>linguist

pick one
>>
>>7453558
No amount of butthurt on Harris's part will change the fact that he got anihilated. By sucking Ben Carson's black cock, Sam only brings himself further down; Chomsky remains undaunted.
>>
>>7453770

this
>>
>>7453624
That shit he does with his hands when debating Focault is patrician af
>>
>>7453770
Harris endorsed Carson?
>>
>>7453741

>doesn't like linguistics

Anti-intellectual detected.
>>
>>7454885
It sounds more like Harris worshipped the guy
>>
>>7453741
i know you think you're implying something true but you're just making yourself look fucking stupid
>>
File: 1394260153566.jpg (99 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1394260153566.jpg
99 KB, 450x338
>>7453558

A Jewish anarcho-syndicalist MIT professor of linguistics and opportunistic political activist was teaching a class on Rene Descartes, known rationalist.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Descartes and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than me!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, humanitarian Harvard behavioural psychologist who had conditioned over 1000 pigeons to compete in ping pong championship tournaments and understood the necessity of reinforcement and punishment for the creation of a Walden-like utopia and fully supported all breaches of research ethics made by J.B. Watson in the name of science stood up and held up a chimpanzee.

”How many signs does this chimp use to communicate, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “None, language is innate and uniquely possessed by the human species, you stupid empiricist”.

”Wrong. It’s been 58 years since you published Syntactic Structures and plunged us into the dark age of cognitivism. If it was language was not simply a semiotic system among many and Universal Grammar, as you say, is real… then we would be speaking Hebrew now”.

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and his favourite Bill Cosby sweater. He stormed out of the room crying those anarcho-syndicalist crocodile tears, the same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they publish tracts condemning right-wing dictators and ignoring the atrocities of left-wing rulers in Peru, Angola, Pakistan, and Equatorial Guinea. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Noam Chomsky, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist anarchist professor. He wished so much that he could blame his actions on the environmental influence of the academic ivory tower, but he himself had argued against it!

The students all predictably applauded at this positive stimulus that day and accepted B. F. Skinner as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Radical Translation” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and Willard van Orman Quine himself showed up and abolished all cognitive psychology departments across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He was sent to Guantanamo Bay for political subversion and was forced to watch looped footage of Foucault laughing at him for all eternity.
>>
>>7454910

I can't even work out what the fuck he's supposed to be implying. There are based linguists like Chomsky and Jackendoff, and there are hacks like Lakoff. Meh.
>>
>>7454918
he probably doesn't know either
>>
>>7454934

Linguistics will forever be a field that uneducated plebs will feel themselves qualified and entitled to comment on.
>>
>>7453558
Don't even try copying my shitposting style. You'll NEVER be as obnoxious as me.
>>
he is nearly 90 years old. just let him retire
>>
>>7453602
>>7453609
>>7453624
>>7453770
Everybody please read this post, it's a very good example of what I'm talking about.

This is how Chomskyites actually talk. This particular specimen honestly does not see anything wrong with what he just wrote, he does not pick up on his superficial subscription to fashionable morals, his abuse of the English language, his lazy personal attacks or his inability to refute the argument at hand.

For him, this kind of sentence is normal, because this is how Chomskyites compose thoughts and share them with others. This is the Twitter-generation, a group of intellectual children who are completely dependent upon the paternal figure of Chomsky to dictate their worldview for them. They're been deluded by narcissism, self-pity, and a chronically inflated ego, and they've now lost all ability to form a coherent analysis of anything or anyone. They are a cancer on this world and political discourse, and the sooner this scum dies out, the better
>>
>>7455154

I completely reject Chomsky's political and linguistic views, but he's still immeasurably greater than you will ever be, resentful 4chan shitposter.
>>
>>7453770
>>7454885
>>7454899
He didn't. He thinks Carson is a religious lunatic. He said that he would choose Carson for president over Chomsky.
>>
>>7456312

Chomsky isn't running for President so Harris is a retard.
>>
>>7455154
cry more harrasite
>>
>>7454911
I honestly believe you don't understand the psychological beliefs of either Chomsky or Skinner. You just proved this rather thoroughly.
>>
>>7456520

Read Chomsky's 'New Horizons in the Study of Language and Mind' and realize you're wrong.

Also get a sense of humour while you're at it.
>>
the problem with harris is that he fancies himself so calm, level-headed, and rational that every criticism of his self-evidently coherent ideas must necessarily be a misrepresentation. he routinely ignores the wealth of literature on topics he writes about, presents his ideas as if they were novel, and is subsequently flabbergasted at any and all criticism.

worst of all, he complains about this constant misrepresentation WHILE he misrepresents others. when he refuses to engage with his opponents' arguments, it is because their snarky rhetoric made honest discourse impossible; when his opponents refuse to engage with his irrelevant thought experiments, it is because they're intellectually dishonest. i'll admit he's done a stellar job of monetizing his brand and building an obedient, unquestioning base, though - kudos to mr. stiller
>>
>>7456520
>responding to copypasta with earnest criticism

shame on you
>>
>>7453624
I agree with this rational anon
>>
>>7456610

He's an atheist. How could he ever be wrong about anything?
>>
>>7455154
paul postal please go
for those who don't know paul postal is an obsessively anti-chomsky linguist
>>
>>7455154
>People reject Harris because they refuse to think, or cannot think.
This is what Harriscites actually think.
>>
>>7456924
you just know when someone is a Harrisite, they all speak in this "i'm the most rational and objective human being present in any given situation" fashion then proceeding to say some of the most retarded shit in said fashion.
>>
>>7456942
Too right, friend. Their self awareness is nonexistent.
>>
Chomsky is Russell Brand in a tweed coat
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
As a Žižeker I always find these kinds of threads funny, they remind me of an old Slovenian proverb: "a dog that chases his *sniff* own tail is always entertained."
>>
>>7456610
This hits the nail on the head. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with how many people he's got convinced that he solved the problems of free will and ethics, despite having said nothing new in either field- it takes a pretty good showman to pull that shit off.
>>
>>7453558
fuck off /pol/

Sam Harris is an over-zealous tanned skin dudebro clambering his way onto any sort of "intellectuals of the world" list he can, hoping that maybe, just maybe, his name might be mentioned with the likes of Chomsky and Sowell etc
>>
File: 1445760911743.jpg (214 KB, 1344x1596) Image search: [Google]
1445760911743.jpg
214 KB, 1344x1596
>>7457136
ps Chomsky is better looking and is a nice lad
>>
>"Surely people differ in their biologically determined qualities. The world would be too horrible to contemplate if they did not. But discovery of a correlation between some of these qualities is of no scientific interest and of no social significance, except to racists, sexists and the like. Those who argue that there is a correlation between race and IQ and those who deny this claim are contributing to racism and other disorders, because what they are saying is based on the assumption that the answer to the question makes a difference; it does not, except to racists, sexists and the like"
Chomsky is a hack
>>
>>7457000

Masterful jick jack trips anon
>>
>any self-respecting individual responding to the most meme pseudo-intellectual of the 21st century
>>
>>7454911
>He stormed out of the room crying those anarcho-syndicalist crocodile tears, the same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they publish tracts condemning right-wing dictators and ignoring the atrocities of left-wing rulers in Peru, Angola, Pakistan, and Equatorial Guinea.

kik
>>
>>7454911
Fuck, this pasta never gets old.
>>
>>7455154
Chomsky is SO patient with idiots.
>>
File: 1436278231930.jpg (79 KB, 616x345) Image search: [Google]
1436278231930.jpg
79 KB, 616x345
>>7457000
>>
>tfw he hasn't even responded to your emails
>>
File: 1448498861300-1.jpg (55 KB, 670x893) Image search: [Google]
1448498861300-1.jpg
55 KB, 670x893
>>7457000
You're a big get
>>
>>7454911

my sides

ignore both sam harris and chomsky desu, though chomsky does deserve recognition in the development of linguistics
>>
>>7455154
omg get the fuck out of here
>>
>>7456610
i cant wait to debate him in 10 years. 100%
>>
>>7460262
none of the current public intellectuals will be relevant in 10 years
>>
>>7457190
Except he is completely right.
>>
>>7457190
>not understanding historical context
>>
File: 1427162881778.jpg (362 KB, 1208x800) Image search: [Google]
1427162881778.jpg
362 KB, 1208x800
Post your smug chomskys.

I know you have them.
>>
I want to learn more about Chomsky's linguists. After Syntactic Structures, what else should I read?
>>
Remember that time Chomsky got taken on a ruse cruise by Lacan
>>
>>7460294
could you please explain?
>>7460303
could you please explain?
>>
Sam Harris gives too much credit to Western powers for having good intentions behind their actions around the globe and Noam Chomsky is too quick to assume the US has evil intentions.
>>
>>7455154
Mom, look! They replied to me! They replied to my troll!
>>
Did you not see the exchange between the two of them posted on Harris website?
He responded copiously
Chomsky discussed facts
Harris rejected facts and substituted elaborate what-if scenarios designed to support his position

That you are asking this question as if no exchange was posted online suggests you are trolling
>>
File: boss chomsky.jpg (31 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
boss chomsky.jpg
31 KB, 396x594
>>7460319
>>
File: great story.jpg (51 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
great story.jpg
51 KB, 600x620
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68wFDvTBHys
Chomsky debate with W. Scott Thompson
Pretty hilarious watching Thompson desperately trying to shill for American Exceptionalism
The man was the Sam Harris of the 80s & 90s
>>
>>7460690
Chomsky assumes nothing, he looks at the facts
>>
Chomsky is literally everything wrong with the Left subsumed into one person.
>>
this board sickens me, lower class trash
>>
>>745515
>people not spotting the copy pasta
>>
>>7461024
This post sickens me, lower case trash.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.