[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He's actually good, you faggots. Godamn it, you pedantic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
h_p_lovecraft_alone.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
He's actually good, you faggots.
Godamn it, you pedantic assholes are always wrong.
>>
whats your favorite work of his then?

never actually checked him out
>>
>>7451179
The colour out of space.
>>
The rats in the walls freaked me out.
Herbert West-Reanimator is pretty good
>but
The Dunwich Horror kicked ass
>>
>>7451169
die of aids faggot
>>
i don't think anon on /lit/ actually hates lovecraft

if they do, i don't understand how. if you like fiction you can't not like lovecraft
>>
>>7451179
Nyarlathotep
The Outsider
The Shadow out of Time
The Ancient Track
>>
>>7451169
>>7451573
he pushed the genre forward but
>purple prose
>all stories are the same
>>
DUDE NIGGERS LMAO
>>
>>7451169
Yes, he's really great.

Hypnos, From Beyond and some other stories of the dream cycle are just brilliant. The stories that are the "pillars' of the Cthulhu Mythos are very good too.

Sure, he "overadjectivates" everything and he's obsessed with the same themes, but that's not really a problem, it suits well.
>>
he has a couple of good stories but his prose makes me groan, so i agree with an overall rating of not good
>>
>>7451194
>>7451747
aight thanks
>>
>>7451194
My favorite as well. I've read a lot of his work. He's my favorite author.
>>
If you ask what to read or not to read in /lit/ you're doing literature wrong.
>>
Currently reading "The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft" by Leslie Klinger, I'm a broke fag borrowing book from library. Anyone know a legit torrent link to an ebook copy? I also highly recommend this copy to anyone wanting to do a serious study of the Lovecraft body of work.
>>
>>7451573
After his early works all of his stories are exactly the same. You really are reading the same thing over and over again. Read Colour out of Space and Mountains of Madness and you have read the best he has. That's why I don't like him very much anyway. I don't think much of a writer where 100 pages sums up everything you ever wrote.
>>
/lit/ after hearing the name "Machiavelli"
>Ahhh yes mmm mhm yes indeed it was satire methinks
>Ahh indeed my friend I reached that conclusion as well, indeed I've considered it awfully seriously
>Mm, mhm, mm *puffs pipe* Satire, indeed

/lit/ after hearing the name "Lovecraft"
>Ahhh mm dreadfully purple prose
>Mm, quite
>Yes, rather, purple, yes, mm
>So glad we can all agree on this personal judgment we've made independently
>Mm, mhm, quite

Critics don't want to seem like they're less critical than other critics, so they echo a criticism made by one critic --> Retards want to seem informed so they regurgitate critics --> One of those retards wanders into /lit/ --> /lit/ buys retard's repackaging of something that was already cliche when the critics said it and he skimmed it in the Times --> /lit/ repackages it and pretends to have unique opinion despite probably never having read more than two Lovecraft stories
>>
>>7451179
the nigger poems
>>
>>7454215
Thanks for the rec. It's up on libgen, looks like, if you want to download it.

You might also want to check out Joshi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._T._Joshi#On_H._P._Lovecraft_and_the_Cthulhu_Mythos
>>
I don't fucking remember what I've read of him, but I'm not one for horror, and I still enjoy his work.
>>
>>7454215
I think I found a legit source, downloading now.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.