[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Books that make you feel almost every emotion.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: s-l225.jpg (11 KB, 220x225) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
11 KB, 220x225
ITT: Books that make you feel almost every emotion.
>>
What was your favorite part, OP? Mine was when Harrogate poisoned the bats.
>>
>>7451116
Damn, there are so many. I loved that I could never guess what the hell was going to happen next. That part was great though. All the Harrogate parts made me laugh out loud. Mine is probably when Suttree just packs up and lives out in the wild after the event with the mussels family
>>
>>7451140

That part shit me to be honest. What fucked me up was the part where Harrogate was going to prison and catching flashes of himself in the windows of the bus.
>>
It's been a while since I read that, but isn't there a scene where a character gets caught fucking a watermelon?
>>
>>7452223
Not just A watermelon. All the watermelons
>>
>>7452223
>>7452231
no fucking way
maybe i'll read suttree
>>
>>7451116
My vote is for the bar fight with the floor buffer.
>>
>>7453435
That part fucked me up. That description made me physically cringe
>>
Working my way through the last 60 pages or so, very glad I took lit's advice and read Suttree last. This book is a masterpiece. As far as books that make you feel every emotion goes I'd throw Lonesome Dove out there also.
>>
Suttree >>>>>>>>>> Ulysses, Faulkner
>>
>>7454094
Better than Faulkner. Probably
Better than Ulysses. No
>>
File: mason dixon.jpg (33 KB, 423x648) Image search: [Google]
mason dixon.jpg
33 KB, 423x648
Suttree is fucking great. Far and away my favorite of McCarthy's.

This book also.

>We'll fish there. And you too.
>>
Is Suttree the GOAT NEET?
>>
>>7453540
Agreed. When he was talking about the blood filling his eyes I could feel myself grimacing.
>>
>>7454433
what?
>>
>>7454433
>NEET

Freelance fisherman, isn't he? NEETs suck off someone else for money, be it parents or the gubmint. Suttree fished for his living.
>>
>>7454433
That's Zoyd Wheeler, btw.
>>
>>7452223
yes, classic Harrogate
>>
>>7451116
Harrogate drunk in the prison and the other inmate being a smart ass to the guard.
The whole thing about the little black midget lady was strange though along with the feverish dream chapter at the end.
>>
>>7454426
I cried 3 times reading that book
>>
Should also add, there are so many iconic scenes. The conductor talking about the train on fire and ending up in the loon bin. Suttree digging his son's grave. The whole tunneling thing.
What was also interesting is how filthy Knoxville is described. I'm Australian and know nothing of it but I wonder if 50's Knoxville really was that shit or if Cormic just inserted it.
>>
>>7456299
You cried reading Mason & Dixon? srsly?
>>
>>7451096
Every Robert Walser book, seriously.
>>
>>7456966
Y-yes, Baka!
>>
>>7456310
I'm glad you read Suttree being from Australia. I have enjoyed a couple of Peter Carey's books, but Les Murray is just incomprehensible.
>>
>>7454426

That finale was the only time I ever cried reading.

>The Indians know Magick.
>>
>the prostitute chapter
>the camping chapter

More like SMUTtree, amirite?

>muh coffee
>>
File: 71NCMDhfzzL.jpg (225 KB, 800x1238) Image search: [Google]
71NCMDhfzzL.jpg
225 KB, 800x1238
This right here. It provided many of the funniest moments I've ever read, and singlehandedly pushed me into a long period of depression and self-loathing.
>>
>>7460669
I finished JR a few weeks ago. Looking to read this soon.
>>
>>7460809
Do it, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (980 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
980 KB, 2448x2448
>>7462368
Started reading this morning. Love it so far.
>>
>>7460669
should I read this or Gravity's Rainbow? I have a good copy of GR already but all this recent Gaddisposting is making me interested.
>>
Currently reading Blood Meridian.

Hasn't made me feel much yet other than awe at the prose.
>>
>>7462467
Read The Recognitions first. You won't regret it. GR is phenomenal, but it ain't no TR.
>>
>>7459676
Difficult to interpret, though. What do you make of it?
>>
>>7460669
Why do you tards read books that you know will make you depressed?
>>
>>7462985
same reason i listen to music that makes me depressed

maybe i'll just get so depressed i'll die without any effort
>>
>>7451116

when that guy walks up on Harrogate killing his pig.

fuck.

or when suttree tells the nurse to try and control her self.

Get every emotion out of Moby Dick.
>>
What do y'all make of suttree's ending?
>>
>>7462985
It's like when you eat peppers: you do it for the flavor, not the spice.
>>
>>7463010
sounds pretty edgy desu
>>
>>7463407
It's a happy one.

The whole book is about Suttree's struggle with the concept of his inevitable death. After he gets typhoid, he has a sort of awakening where he sees that there's nothing for him in Knoxville and leaves, having accepted that a happy life isn't all about death. I think there's even a bit at the end with the hounds: "Fly them." Run from them, don't dwell on them.

Consider also the water. In Knoxville the river is muddy and filled with trash. Stagnant, like Suttree's life. When he leaves, the boy with the pail gives him water. Water is restored to its proper function as a life-giver.

Though I'm not sure. Been a while since I read the book.
>>
>>7463525

Pretty good thoughts and ideas there. I just finished it 30 or so minutes ago and was just wanting to talk about it.
>>
>>7462469
Just remember that one of the main part's is the sheer unbelievable beauty of The West.
>That mountain storm scene
If I could pick a piece of writing to marry and grow old with that would be it.
>>
>>7463681
>I just finished it 30 or so minutes ago and was just wanting to talk about it.
Do you think you could shit through the eye of a needle at 30 yards?
>>
>>7464656
u wot
>>
>>7464979
If you've read Suttree you'd know.
>>
File: 1446758265153.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1446758265153.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
After reading Suttree I read just about all of McCarthy's books except for The Road. I've since read most of Faulkner as well.

I need more writers who have that kind of candid and bleak but strangely beautiful style of prose, who should I read next?
>>
>>7451096

Man this book is so fucking great, just seeing this thread made me open it up to a random page and I opened it to the scene where the old tinker man with all the shit is trotting into town and the fucking picture he paints is just perfect my fucking god.
>>
How about a book that makes me feel only one emotion? Like sadness. Why do you want to feel so many things at once? It devalues everything. I find dense concentrated works more moving and satisfying. Maybe i'm a retard.
>>
>>7465113
>It devalues everything.
Or it compliments all the other emotions since you aren't just expecting one.
Harrogate knowing how to fuck watermelons without getting stung by wasps is hilariously tragic.
Harrogate at the end of the book is tragic without hilarity.
>>
>>7462433
>7462433
he actually fell for the nene
>>
>>7465088

I've got just the thing. Check out Philipp Meyer. He's written two books (and has a third one on the way) that I think are just what you're looking for.

The first, American Rust, is about a small town in rust belt Pennsylvania. The protagonists, Isaac English and Billy Poe, are both tragic fuck-ups (in a similar vein to Suttree) who are trying to find purpose in life.

The second book, The Son, is a Blood Meridian styled western. It's a historical drama that concerns the rise of a Texan ranching dynasty and the means they use to achieve power. Similarly to BM, a reoccurring theme is the use violence and force to take what you want.

I would highly recommend both, especially The Son. Read them in that order if you're interested.
>>
>>7465544

Wow thanks a lot anon
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.