[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so /lit/ i'm taking a class on detective fiction next semester
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: chug those brewskis.jpg (225 KB, 488x705) Image search: [Google]
chug those brewskis.jpg
225 KB, 488x705
so /lit/ i'm taking a class on detective fiction next semester is this a good reading list?
Some collection of Poe's stories I don't remember which
Agatha Christie - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Dashielle Hammett - Red Harvest
Chester Himes - A Rage in Harlem
Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49
Jorge Luis Borges - Ficciones
Kawamata Chiaki - Death Sentences
Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö - The Laughing Policeman
Gene Kerrigan - The Rage
>>
>>7448414
it's alright
>>
>>7448414
I have to wonder why the professor chose Kawamata over any of the many other works of Japanese detective fiction, especially since it seems he's going for the basics with the reading list. Why wouldn't he use Edogawa Ranpo?

You should ask, OP.
>>
>>7448436
his reasoning was "people might like it because the ring is based off of it" almost verbatim quote. his alternate choice was hard-boiled wonderland.

dude told me he taught a class on war narratives this semester and i'm upset I missed it. it was a good reading list too
>>
>>7448456
Based off of it? The Ring is the film version of a Koji Suzuki novel. Maybe inspired by it, but it doesn't seem very similar.

I would have picked The Inugami Clan if it wasn't so out of print.
>>
>>7448474
I think he meant inspired but uses based off of as a catch all
>>
>>7448495
Probably. Seems like a fun class overall all though, OP; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

It's nice that your uni allows/provides diversely themed genre classes along these lines too. Instead of the standard "postcolonial," "women's fiction," "modernism," etc.
>>
no Chandler? have fun at pleb school homo
>>
>>7448521
most of that stuff is upper level and is just stuff the professors like. one guy teaches a class entirely on chaucer another does shakespeare and ecofeminism and another does the poetics of hip-hop. it's pretty cool
>>
>>7448553
I know, I just happened to go to a university where the professors had uninteresting (to me) research. You can only take so much of transcendentalists and the Harlem Renaissance.
>>
>>7448586
fair enough. I don't know what genre I'd teach/specialize in when I go for my doctorate. most of the stuff I like would be considered pleb
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.