[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys think that Barnes and Noble exclusives are worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: dantesinferno.jpg (240 KB, 777x1246) Image search: [Google]
dantesinferno.jpg
240 KB, 777x1246
Do you guys think that Barnes and Noble exclusives are worth it?

I've been buying a shit ton recently just because how fucking majestic they look compared to the cheaper alternatives.The only problem is that they burn a huge hole in my pocket since they're ridiculously expensive.

Pic related- it's the one I'm thinking of buying next
>>
You buy moist turds in book form
>>
File: 1444440735539.png (349 KB, 760x710) Image search: [Google]
1444440735539.png
349 KB, 760x710
>>7447686
>they look good
>>
>>7447686
Do you find them aesthetically pleasing?

Do you think you have enough money to buy a lot of them so they match on a shelf?

Do you think Barnes and Noble is going to still be selling books in the next decade?
>>
File: dune.jpg (67 KB, 425x630) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
67 KB, 425x630
>>7447686
Here's another one that I already own
>>
I really like them. They're pretty gaudy but in a good way to me. A friend had the Edger A.P. collection. I would buy a few but I'm broke.

Are they worth it? Hm. Tough to say. I think it could be considered a collectible in the future, considering how fucking expensive BN really is compared to either pirating ebooks or buying them second hand. BN will probably massively downsize or close out in the future. US Govt probably will not bail them out.

I say, if you have extra money to spend and you'll take good care of them, buy it. A return on your investment is another issue, I wouldn't hinge the decision entirely on that if you happen to not have much money.
>>
>>7447686
I own a few, they're cheaper then actually getting copies leather bound so there's that.
>>7447704
truth, bookstores are on their way out, maybe not in a decade, but definitely within the century
>>
>>7447715
To add, I wouldn't buy them right now if you're looking to sell them later as a rarity. I would track the trend of BN stocks/sales and then when the trend is continuously horrible for BN, stock up on them. I say this because the books might get damaged if you buy them now, and BN hasn't closed tons of stores so they're doing well enough in that a projected closing is not anytime near soon.
>>
File: IMG_4978.jpg (271 KB, 594x1719) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4978.jpg
271 KB, 594x1719
>>7447686
I bought this quite a while ago and liked it initially. The inside is all well and good; I especially like the fact that they included the Gustave Doré illustrations (some people here of all places probably disapprove of this). The cover would almost be nice if it didnt have that weird plastic chunk on it. Disgusting. I really regret buying it.
>>
>>7447686
How are the insides of the books? Because I think the outside is ugly.
>>
Gaudy and idiotic IMO

Bad aesthetics too
>>
Thought this would be better than making anew thread. Can someone post the Divine Comedy translation guide?
>>
these are hideous
>>
>>7447686
I have the exact same book, although I am brazilian I bought this edition in english because was the only one I could find with Gustave Doré illustrations. And yeah, it does look good.
>>
They're disgusting. They're for plebs who think they are being highbrow.

If you want decently priced hardcovers with good supplementary material, translations, and paper quality, the get Everyman editions.
>>
does Barnes and Noble still sell these?
>>
>Sticker on the front cover
>Looks good
>>
murika
>>
>>7447686
>ridiculously expensive

They're like $20, anon. $13ish if you get them when they go on sale. They cost less than contemporary hardbacks. I like them.

>>7449312
If you stick to the works that were written in English, you don't run into the translation problems. And the Everyman series for that matter, aren't all that much better when it comes to choosing the best translations.
>>
File: IMG_20151211_173011.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151211_173011.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7451831
Forgot picture. I don't like the uniform heights, but other than that they are entirely decent.
>>
>>7451836
T-they don't look hideous at all if they fill a whole shelf, what the hell?

that armchair/couch DOES look hideous though
>>
>>7447686
They look tacky as shit. Go to half priced books and pick up a shitty paperback. It conveys the same information.
>>
>>7451896

I agree about the armchair. It is usually not there, but we had to move it to make room for our Christmas tree.
>>
>>7447686
I've got several of them including the Dante one. I like it minus the plastic thing on the front, the quality is good and it's a great translation.
I like their Crime and Punishment and Hemingway ones especially, but ones like the Lewis Carrol collection are over the top.
>>
>>7449312

>They're disgusting. They're for plebs who think they are being highbrow.

/thread
>>
Barnes And Noble paper back classics are a gud deal for classic shit that you don't feel like getting shafted paying 30 bucks for some out of copyright shit just because pengiun paid some professor to write a 30 page intro setting "the context", but those hardcover ones are tacky as shit
>>
>>7452017

Penguin is literally the worst. Their 'Drop Caps' series makes B&N bonded-leather books look like the epitome of taste, and that's saying something.
>>
>>7452027

their design are always decent tier, but their binding is god awful

one read through and a spine looks years old
>>
>>7452037
do you mean the drop caps or the B&Ns?
>>
>>7452064

I'd assume he means general issue Penguin books. Anyone who *likes* the Drop Caps is.... fuck, I don't know. Just not my kind of people.
>>
>>7452078

>I'd assume he means general issue Penguin books.

yep should've clarified that better
>>
>>7449312
This is the future of the written form. Do you think people will still be buying paperbacks in fifty years? Of course not, eReaders will reign supreme. However, just as some new record stores stock modern vinyls, there will be some book stores which stock things like these: books as luxury items, as display pieces, something affluent people put on their shelves and even read to show their dedication to a dying form. They will be prestige items.

Don't be mad just because B&N is ahead of the curve.

>>7451836
Nice collection.
>>
>buying b&n leatherbound
>using profanity
I see the lower classes are allowed to post now
>>
>>7452037
>decent tier
That sentence would have worked perfectly fine without inserting fucking chan lingo for no reason.
>>
>>7452125

why do spectrums always get triggered over dumb shit

we are literally on a chan right now spergtits
>>
I like them. Most of them have a bit of charm, except the H G Wells one they went too far on that one. My Favorites covers are the CS Lewis and the Poe.
>>
>>7451978
>Lewis Carrol collection are over the top.
The first run they had more understated brown cover. It's that second edition pink that looks extreme.
>>
Franklin library, easton press and folio society look better I think
>>
>>7452595
They are better in all respects, but at 3 to 5 times the cost. The advantage of the Barnes and Noble ones is that they are (relatively) inexpensive.
>>
>>7452595
Folio are just slightly more expensive B&Ns. Basically disgusting pieces of shit but pricey.
>>
>>7447686

I've got 5 of them. Aesop's Fables and The Count of Monte Cristo are actually kind of nice. Rest are between passable (collected Oscar Wilde) to nauseatingly bad taste (Divine Comedy).
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.