[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slam Poetry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 1449775357544-214827113.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1449775357544-214827113.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
I am not creative and I suck at poetry. Can someone help me wrote a slam poem.
>>
>>7446541
no :(
>>
File: i have.jpg (51 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
i have.jpg
51 KB, 500x388
>>7446541
Craning necks,

searching for specks,

in the Crystal Meth O.C.D. Home.

We count our sheep,

every other week,

in order from 3 through 8.

Prime numbers we seek,

when cleaning our sheets,

is it wool or fleece?

I can't count on you,

you can't count on me,

Who's Counting?
>>
File: deep dream pepe.jpg (130 KB, 640x913) Image search: [Google]
deep dream pepe.jpg
130 KB, 640x913
>>7446541
>I am not creative and I suck at poetry.
you're already there son.
>>
>>7446541

This is uh about something that uh happened to me uh when I was younger.
It's called "Rake"
[TRIGGER WARNING]
So uh, this poem has some vulgar and potentially triggering language.
Ahem.
*Shuffle notes*
*Adjust mic*

I hate slam poetry
It's not poetry
Poetry is what I say it is
Fuck the establishment
I don't need meter, I'm raw emotion
Fuck the establishment with a rake
I was raped
By my dad and two dudes both named Jake
A black women told me I hate
So I stopped hating and started to celebrate
The art of slam poetry
While two jakes and my dad keep my anus
And my heartbreak
Is in a hole in the ground filled with steak
I am meat
Am I meat
It wasn't nice to meet you, rapist
With your fistfucking eyes and your hate
When you broke me down and scattered me
I had to gather myself up with a rake
Now I can't even look at group photos without getting shakes
Because I see how I look just like daddy
So I take selfies without me in them
Take myself out of my online expression
Because your masculine aggression
Ruin'd me and bruised me
I'm a mistake
But daddy
I was a mistake
And you with two dudes both named Jake
Dug your own graves
So I'll fill them with my words
This slam poem that I hate
And get out my rake
And piss on your graves
Because you said that night was full of mistakes
But the only mistake was those bones I wish I break
Those ribs you broke and left me to hang
Dripping blood out of my empty grave
You stuffed yourself in and tried to decay
But fuck you, daddy, and fuck you both Jakes
I'll beat you to death with my rakes
For your dirty butcher gardner rape

*Cry*
Th-thanks you
>>
>>7446557
yo bro WHAT THE FUCK is up with that pic my nig who made that shit yo that some ill shit to see on lsd bro
>>
>>7446633
look up neural networks, nice trip dubs btw.
>>
File: 1449114821336.jpg (39 KB, 598x608) Image search: [Google]
1449114821336.jpg
39 KB, 598x608
>>7446616
This.

Good job anon. You made my day.
>>
>>7446650
Thanks

Writing badly is actually a lot of fun.
>>
>>7446616
11/10, will save and keep, good job
>>
File: 1439489532534.gif (787 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1439489532534.gif
787 KB, 480x360
>>7446616
>>
>>7446633
deep dream. you haven't seen these yet?
>>
>>7446616
that sure hits home anon
based/based
>>
>>7446616
I'd ask if I could read this out at an actual slam poetry session but I don't think I could get past "a hole in the ground filled with steak" without cracking up.
>>
>>7446678
>>7446693
>>7447198
Thanks, guys. It really means a lot to me :^)

>>7447212
Please. If you recorded it, I would love you.
>>
>>7447230
I'll consider it but please don't hold your breath.
I'd also encourage everybody to do this if possible.
to the point this poem becomes a fucking meme and every time in a slam poetry session someone starts reading it out they all know they're getting the piss taken out of them and they're like "not this fucking rake poem!"
essentially turn it into prince of Bel Air.
>>
>>7447401
kek

it would be fitting for all slam poetry everywhere
>>
>>7446667
It's funny when you write bad on purpose and people tell you it's good in a poetry thread but then you realize you're writing badly on purpose because you're not confident enough in your ability to write well on purpose
>>
>>7447653
/lit/'s war on slam poetry... I can see it already...
>>
One thing I will give slam poetry is that it carries a lot of emotional weight.

However, just puking your emotions onto a page and then shouting them at an audience is stupid. It would be better if they used their emotions to craft something.
Unfortunately, the whole medium of oral poetry forces you to dumb down your verse so that the emotion can be transmitted as quickly and efficiently (though not as elegantly) as possible.
You will never hear Keats lamenting the inevitable decay of memory at a poetry slam, but you will hear Some Dude complain about all the fun he and his ex had.

Is this what we're going to have as the poetry of our time? Aired grievances against society on a cafe stage that aren't clever and eschew intellectualism (probably the wrong word) for "raw" emotion and "grit"?

I don't really know what I'm talking about.

>>7447673
I notice that people like the parts of my poems that I put the least amount of effort into.
>>
>>7446616
I was actually thinking about writing something like this the other day.

You've done it way better than I ever could.
>>
>>7447789
Th-thanks.
Please write your poem. If we're going to "wage war on slam poetry," we're going to need more than one offensive and terrible poem about gardening.
>>
>>7447701
I've never been here before, but slam poetry is a good thing to hate. it sucks ass
>>7447717
you have a point. slam poetry is popular because it's easy and accessible and pretends to be witty by conflating words in which matching syllables appear. But it's stupid as hell and by no means is it going to be the "poetry of our time." There are still great poets who carry the tradition today. I think of John Ashbery, Louise Gluck, Henri Cole, Claudia Rankine, Seamus Heaney (who only died 2 years ago) just to name a few...
>>
>>7447845
When I said "of our time," I probably should have said "of our generation."
And by "our generation," I mean millennials.

I agree there are a lot of good contemporary poets (of which I need to read more of).
But if slam poetry is the plebeiest of today's poetry, shouldn't we strive for something better?

It's pretty popular, as far as poetry goes. Normies (REEEEE) go to poetry slams in my city, and my city is pleb as fuck.

I dunno. I'd just love for an artistic revolution (and saying that makes me want to puke) that isn't stuck up it's own ass.
I want good poetry to matter to people, even normies (REEEE).

If people are only regularly exposed to slam poetry, that's going to inform their view of all poetry.

>tl;dr
I made a bunch of dumb assumptions about plebs and why slam poetry is bad
>>
>>7448158
i dont know man, it's hard, no doubt. there's less and less room for poetry these days, esp. with slam, and facebook, and videogames. I don't know about a cultural revolution, but I will do what I can to keep the thing alive--i.e. keep reading and writing poetry, and avoid being influenced too much by popular poetry
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.