[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1. What 1.1 Would 1.1.1 He Think 1.2 About 2. Memes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: wittgenstein.jpg (79 KB, 943x1000) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
79 KB, 943x1000
1. What
1.1 Would
1.1.1 He Think
1.2 About
2. Memes?
>>
He wouldn't.
>>
>>7445154
Whereof one cannot speak?
>>
>>7445147
Honestly greentexting and paypay are interesting language games, they're really alien and opaque compared to normal human language.
>>
>>7445713
>Honestly greentexting and paypay are interesting language games, they're really alien and opaque compared to normal human language.

Smugfrog dot jay peg
>>
"The most serious and profound matters can only be discussed in the form of memes."
>>
>>7445147
"N-Nobody understands my memes!"
>>
>gives his immense inherited wealth away
>writes intentionally obfuscatory text on the limits of language
>lives the literary lifestyle in Norway

>implying witt wasn't an OG memer
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (119 KB, 322x482) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
119 KB, 322x482
1. Memes are dank
1.1. Dankness is the totality of memes
1.11. Memes are determined by dankness
2. OP is a faggot
2.1. Faggotry hurts
2.11. OP's faggotry hurts.
3. I am a big guy
4. U
>>
1. The shitpost is everything that is the case
1.1 The implication is fact
1.2 >implying you can prove me wrong
2. The limits of my post are the limits of my world
2.1 If I did not shitpost, nothing intelligent would ever get done
2.2 Check em
>>
>>7445147
"A thing to consider (and a quite interesting matter actually) is the phenomenon of internet memes. It is a prime example of a meaningless object gaining meaning by means of a language game out of a unspoken rule between those who make use of it - contrast this to living society, where culture and politics have influence upon the change of meaning of things, while memes do not originate out of a spoken public consensus (say a poll or a survey) nor because an influential entity define them (a king, a dictator or slabs embedded with dogmatic rules like Islamic religions), but of pure chaos and gain unspoken consensus in its ironic use. Because of this, the fact of meaning of what is meaningless arising from nonsense and chaos, we can see that there is no need in principle for God in order to have language and meaning - although the religious may and do reveal itself in the fact of our deeds."
Wittgenstein. Memes & Language §35.
>>
Why post this thread? I really do pity you for having such a boring and attention-hungry personality that would lead to your posting this thread. It isn't funny, it isn't interesting, and it isn't informative. Please don't post on this board again, or at least think about what value you're contributing to your own life or to the lives of /lit/ posters before doing so again. I'm saging this post and hiding the thread so any reply will go unread on my part.
>>
>>7445938
What a faggot
>>
>>7445943
le faggot XD
>>
Wittgenstein would have been one of the biggest shitposters on 4chan.

>“Wittgenstein’s correspondence with Pattison consists almost entirely of ‘nonsense’. In nearly every letter he makes some use of the English adjective ‘bloody’, which, for some reason, he found inexhaustibly funny. He would often begin his letters ‘Dear Old Blood’ and end them ‘Yours bloodily’ or ‘Yours in bloodiness’. Pattisson would send him photographs cut out from magazines, which he called his ‘paintings’, and to which Wittgenstein would respond with exaggeratedly solemn appreciation: ‘I would have known it to be a Pattison immediately without the signature. There is that bloodiness in it which has never before been expressed by the brush.’ In reply, Wittgenstein would send ‘portraits’, photogrphs of distinguished looking middle-aged men, ripped out of newspaper advertisements for self-improvement courses. ‘My latest photo’, he announced, enclosing one such picture. ‘The previous one expressed fatherly kindness only; this one expresses triumph’.”

>"Throughout the correspondence there is a gentle ridicule of the language of the advertiser, the absurdity of the style being invoked simply by using it as though it were the normal way for two friends to write to each other. Sending Wittgenstein a (genuine) photograph of himself, Pattisson writes on the back: 'On the other side is pictured one of our 47/6 suits.' 'Somehow or the other, Wittgenstein writes at the end of one letter, 'one instinctively feels that Two Steeples No. 83 Quality Sock is a real man's sock. It's a sock of taste - dressy, fashionable, comfortable.'"

>Ray Monk's biography
>>
>>7445876
>>7445867
>>7445147
You're delineating your remarks in a manner similar to Wittgenstein's Tractatus. I find this very clever.

Thanks!
>>
>>7445974
this is fucking rich. where are these letters?
>>
>>7445974
I think his letters are bloody hilarious.
>>
>>7446089
Dunno m8, I suggest checking the sources in Monk's biography, which is easily found online I think.
>>
File: 1416527701847.jpg (16 KB, 273x350) Image search: [Google]
1416527701847.jpg
16 KB, 273x350
>>7445974
>Some of the jokes contained in Wittgenstein's letters to Pattisson are, indeed, astonishingly feeble. Enclosing an address that ends 'W.C.1', he draws an arrow to the 'W.C.' and writes: 'This doesn't mean "Lavatory".' And on the back of a postcard of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin, he writes: 'If I remember rightly this Cathedral was built, partly at least, by the Normans. Of course, it's a long time ago & my memory isn't what it was then.'
>>
>The Clements had two daughters, Joan, aged eleven, and Barbara, aged nine, and while he was staying there Wittgenstein was treated almost as part of the family. Finding the name 'Wittgenstein' something of a mouthful, they all called him 'Vicky', although it was made clear that they were the only people allowed to do so. Unusually, Wittgenstein took his meals with the family while he was staying with the Clements. He also joined in with other aspects of family life. In particular, he enjoyed playing Ludo and Snakes and Ladders with the girls - so much so that on one occasion, when a game of Snakes and Ladders in which Wittgenstein was particularly absorbed had gone on for over two hours, the girls had to plead with him against his will to leave the game unresolved.
>>
File: Untitled.png (85 KB, 433x212) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
85 KB, 433x212
>>7448025
>when a game of Snakes and Ladders in which Wittgenstein was particularly absorbed had gone on for over two hours, the girls had to plead with him against his will to leave the game unresolved

OVER TWO HOURS OF SNAKES AND LADDERS THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN hahahahahhahahahahaaha
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.