[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got a kindle paperwhite secondhand, but you can't organize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: PaperwhiteComparison[1].jpg (329 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PaperwhiteComparison[1].jpg
329 KB, 1920x1080
I got a kindle paperwhite secondhand, but you can't organize books into collections yourself.

What is the point of this thing existing? Why would a device even be released so intentionally hamstrung and gimped? I have 300 books on here and I can't categorize them in any way, forcing me to just scroll through them?

Garbage.
>>
File: 1442531504275.png (49 KB, 272x151) Image search: [Google]
1442531504275.png
49 KB, 272x151
>>7444674
>falling for the ereader meme
what did you expect.
>>
>>7444680
I didn't fall for any meme, it was free. But I'm just blown away how a device released in 2011 could be so terrible. I'd rather read on my 4.5 inch cell phone than this thing
>>
You can, faggot.

Thing is, Amazon fucking despises its consumers and decided to lock that option if you don't log into your account. Just as Wikipedia and translation options.
>>
>>7444674
y'know there's a search function... right?
>>
>>7444694
why would i want to manually search every time i look for something

i got hit with the library list and automatically forgot what story i was looking for. browsing is far more important than searching for this device.
>>
>>7444697
>pleb can't remember what he intends to read
>pleb blames a piece of plastic for his lack of abilities
>pleb comes on /lit/ to complain about his treachery
>pleb gets no sympathy
>>
>>7444674
I agree. There are some flaws in it, mainly the UI (As you said), the useless features, locked down software and most importantly only reading mobi formats. (I know you can change formats but it screws up formatting.)

Overall i think e-readers are still great and have saved me tons of money from pirating books, however for my next ill probably get the cheaper kobo that reads e-pubs
>>
>>7444697
>forgot what story I was looking for
>>
>>7444674
>but you can't organize books into collections yourself.
What?
>>7444688
>lock that option if you don't log into your account
Oh.
Just jailbreak it, install that free UI. Problem solved.
>>
>>7444674
You organize them on calibre and upload them as you read them. You realize that this device is meant for reading and not to satisfy your autistic cravings for order in your useless life right?
>>
>>7445681
And this of course.
You haven't made the mistake of updating it to 5.6.x, right?
>>
>>7445705
i was about to say pretty much this
>>
Why are you reading 300 books at a time?
>>
>>7445984
>not
you should just give up
>>
On the topic of calibre, how do I make it clear to calibre that my Kobo Aura supports mobi files? It refuses to sync mobi books on the device, telling me I need to convert to a compatible format, and I have to transfer them manually.
>>
>>7446864
You can associate filetypes with a particular device in the device settings options, i think you need it plugged in.
>>
>Get Kindle Fire for daughter for christmas because it is 30 dollars.
>didnt get touch or paperwhite because I wanted her to have colored childrens books, and they arent 30 dollars
>Pirate tons of Berenstain bears and Clifford and classic childrens books
>convert them all to mobi
>turns out you cannot side load non amazon content into children's profiles
>fucking lingerie ads on the opening screen
>lockdown password for settings and internet is the same as the password to get into the device
>literally feels like it is so cheap it will fall apart in my hand

My kindle touch is 10x the device the fire is, I cant believe anyone would buy this product.
>>
why can't we have a consensus on e-reader ? i have tried some and they they are like said before, slow and awful to manage, organize the library. Why can't they make a e-reader easy to deal with ?
>>
>>7446898
it's 30 dollars though
>>
install duokan
>>
Kobo masterrace
>>
Where can I get ebooks? #bookz is shite
>>
>>7447178
Libgen
>>
>>7447189
Missing a bunch of what I want
>>
File: aaaayewatsgudgurl.png (120 KB, 340x351) Image search: [Google]
aaaayewatsgudgurl.png
120 KB, 340x351
Does anyone have any good sites from free mobi books?
>>
>>7447204
try aaaaarg.
>>
>>7447178
>>7447201
BTdigg has tons of torrents with people's whole library. Bookzz is solid but mostly non-fic and classics.

Bibliotik is good if you have a power user account at another site

also, overdrive

>Missing a bunch of what I want
The only stuff I havent found between btdigg and bookzz is brand new shit and extremely obscure monographs.
>>
>>7447201
Pretty much everything is, you'll need at least three sites to get everything
>>
>>7447254
>>7447255
Specific translations are my problem.

Just yesterday, I spent four hours looking for the Norton Critical publication of Faust.
>>
>>7447270
Mobilism has the oxford
>>
>>7447292
Not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>7447254
>Bibliotik
how can I get in here?

can someone check if they have "poseur" by mark spitz or "the boys on the bus" by Timothy Crouse?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.