[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a monoglot Ameriburger. If I learn German and Latin, will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1445485114746.jpg (29 KB, 231x255) Image search: [Google]
1445485114746.jpg
29 KB, 231x255
I am a monoglot Ameriburger.
If I learn German and Latin, will I become a patrician?
>>
Not if you don't learn Greek and French.

Plus 1 Asian language, Sanskrit or Mandarin preferred.
>>
>>7442464
Stop caring about this patrician/pleb dichotomy meme. Learn things you care about. If you have a love for Latin/German literature and German culture/people/history/etc., then go ahead.

The "pleb" thing is just to push off pseuds who think they're smart and educated when in actuality they're very ignorant and their opinions on subjects are worthless.

Motivating yourself to learn something solely because of how other people will perceive it is spooked as fuck and is pretty pleb regardless.
>>
>>7442481
>Stop caring about this patrician/pleb dichotomy meme.
It's cute when plebs try to delude themselves.
>>
>>7442470
Is there a large catalogue of classics in Sanskrit? It seems from a cursory glance that it's pretty much a dead language right now.
>>
>>7442492
Keep being spooked then, friend, and live your life for others. :/
>>
>>7442504
>live your life for others
Yeah, that's the only reason why anybody would ever not be a pleb.
>>
>>7442509
OP seems to want to do this because of how others would think of him, which is why he asked /lit/ if it would "patrician-ify" him. If he actually wanted to learn German and Latin, he would ask for recs.
>>
>>7442509
why else?
>>
>>7442549
That doesn't mean that plebs don't exist.
>>
>>7442557
Because they actually have taste?
>>
>>7442558
I'm saying living your life around this dichotomy is dumb. The only real plebs are those who are ignorant and willfully stay ignorant. Pseuds and dilettantes are those who learn for status and thus get only superficial things out of texts to impress others.

Everyone else is learning or is learned.
>>
>>7442571
No, working on not being a pleb doesn't automatically mean that you're no longer a pleb.
>>
>>7442464
>If I learn German and Latin, will I become a patrician?
learn italian desu senpai
>>
>>7442576
That's not what I was saying but ok. Live for ideals or others rather than your bona fide interests and for the sake of itself. :/
>>
Start learning both, you might find you just really enjoy it.

I've done Latin for almost a year and a half and find it consistently fascinating - I don't need motivation to study it
>>
>>7442464
do german and greek. is there a wealth of literature in latin? i believe there is a wealth of greek literature probably never translated to english

it would probably take an incredibly long time to be able to read books in another language imo
>>
>>7442601
>is there a wealth of literature in Latin?

If you have to ask a question as stupid as this you're not in a position to be givin advice
>>
>>7442601
>is there a wealth of literature in English?
>>
>>7442588
would you please recommend a latin textbook for an english speaker?
>>
>>7442923
Shelmerdine if you are diligent at self-study

Wheelock otherwise

>>7442601
Greek is probably too hard to be worth it

Your chances of crapping out of Greek are much much higher than with Latin, and learning Latin ASAP will make you about 50x better at learning languages in general, so you're statistically better off learning Latin and then Greek later if you feel like it

Greek isn't all that important unless you have fairly specific interests anyway - there isn't as much lit as you think, not nearly as much as Latin
>>
>>7442601
Yes their is, reading and translating Horaz, cicero, ceasar and tacitus. i always preferred catull, ovid and plutarch, so i didnt like the curriculum very much.
>>
>>7442937
>Shelmerdine if you are diligent at self-study

Wheelock otherwise

thank you
>>
>>7442923
I learnt with Wheelock's and Teach Yourself Latin, which I never see mentioned but is a book I used in conjunction with my first class

I don't think you can really go wrong with any latin textbook
>>
File: 1434445566415.jpg (4 MB, 2196x3339) Image search: [Google]
1434445566415.jpg
4 MB, 2196x3339
Speaking of learning another language, how good are these Greek learning books shown here?

Any Koine speakers here?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.