[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are the artists congregating these days, /lit/? I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: paris_1923.jpg (39 KB, 400x279) Image search: [Google]
paris_1923.jpg
39 KB, 400x279
Where are the artists congregating these days, /lit/?

I think about the Lost Generation in Paris, and I'm immensely jealous. Maybe this is a huge overestimation of my own talent, but I think about all those great writers and poets--Hemingway, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Pound, Stein, and so many more--who spent formative years in Paris, who interacted with each other, and who either did their best work in the city at that time, or were heavily influenced by the time and did their best work as a result of that influence. I get incredibly jealous. I would love to be in the presence of peers, breathing in the air of a moving, great city. It's probably hopelessly romantic, and probably impossible in this day and age, but I love it all the same.

Where is this generation's Interwar Paris? Where are all the restless artists going these days?
>>
your pa's b-hole, kid
>>
The internet.
>>
>paris is a good city
>>
File: vengence.jpg (218 KB, 757x567) Image search: [Google]
vengence.jpg
218 KB, 757x567
>>7440225
unfortunately as mentioned its now the internet :(
>>
>>7440241
>>7440318
So where on the internet is Paris?

Please tell me it's not Reddit.
>>
>>7440398
its online magazines, blogs, and here
>>
>>7440398
>>7440241

email and other forms of private messaging
>>
>>7440225
>Where are all the restless artists going these days?

cali desu, in the US, montreal in Canada. i'm not sure where the 'restless' artists are in europe, here in france there's only old-guard, not much interesting happening with young people. i want to say London because a lot of good theater has been going on there but that doesn't feel quite right.
>>
>>7440403
>here
>restless artists
>not a bunch of talentless shitposters, pretentious undergrads and /pol9k/ run off

wew lad
>>
>>7440403
>>7440404
But that's not the same thing and you know it. Anyone who's actually maintained friendships in the real world knows that online interaction, especially private, one-on-one interaction, can't compare. It's too sterile, and the subtleties of face-to-face communication are lost. Moreover, having a bunch of Facebook Messenger windows open isn't the same as hanging out with three or four people at a time.

Now I actually hope the Internet isn't where our Lost Generation congregates. There's no hope for them if that's the case.
>>
>>7440422
>Now I actually hope the Internet isn't where our Lost Generation congregates. There's no hope for them if that's the case.

wow what an original thought. give up, if you found this generation instance of the lost generation they wouldn't want you there.
>>
File: 645243526.jpg (1 MB, 2160x2878) Image search: [Google]
645243526.jpg
1 MB, 2160x2878
in my head t b h
>>
I've never bothered to get into my city's literary scene to find out. I'm too cheap for the $10 suggested donations/PWYC to hear some bad poetry. There are poetry readings in art bars, chapbook launches, workshops. I'm sure that there are little cliques that form there. Smallpress/publishing houses, universities of course.

I don't think the Internet has created many valuable communities. The only one I can think of is alt-lit/HTMLGIANT, but that, unfortunately, died quick. I never actually read any of their stuff but I found the community fascinating, the way it circumvented the usual institutions.
>>
File: dayinlife.png (127 KB, 1826x168) Image search: [Google]
dayinlife.png
127 KB, 1826x168
>all these fags that havent been invited to the super secret intellectual club
must suck being pleb and boring.
>>
>>7440422
>Now I actually hope the Internet isn't where our Lost Generation congregates. There's no hope for them if that's the case.

Grandpa please, you haven't shut up since you got that crappy Internet package from Comcast
>>
The Lost Generation is romantic bullshit. Not that all romance is bullshit, but this romance, I think, is bullshit. A bunch of cliquey lit-Chads getting drunk and measuring their dicks in Paris. If they were real artists they would have spent their time alone in caves flagellating themselves desu.
>>
File: 1449414011765.gif (102 KB, 758x696) Image search: [Google]
1449414011765.gif
102 KB, 758x696
>>7440450
>HTMLGIANT

RIP you sweet prince
>>
>>7440499
It helps that a lot of them were genuinely good writers.

I wonder if the Lost Generation is just one of those things that happened a single time and can never happen again. When are you ever going to get all the great English writers of a single century together in the same place at the same time? All they were missing was Faulkner. Nearly everyone of note was there. It's the kind of thing that will probably never happen again.
>>
>>7440517
>I wonder if the Lost Generation is just one of those things that happened a single time and can never happen again

pft

romantics did it
vienna circle/frankfurt school did it
rat pack did it
the beats did it
oulipo did it

etc. literature is an stupidly incestuous field and your romanticizing the lost generation just shows you're only shallowly acquainted with the s.
>>
>>7440541
Okay, well where are all the artists these days?
>>
>>7440544
In your mom's puss to be honest family.
>>
wherever you aren't
>>
>>7440398
tumblr
>>
>>7440544
It'll only be obvious in retrospect, it hasn't yet been determined which present day books will end up in the canon as great works.
>>
nyc is still a place for artists
>>
>>7440416
shitposting and dank memes are the closest equivalent to art our civilization is able to produce
>>
>>7440598
autists*
>>
>>7440594
The thing is that Hemingway, Joyce, Pound, and the rest were all acclaimed as great IN their day, and on top of that their works have stood the test of time. I'm not sure where in the world we have that now.

New York is one option, but as someone who's lived in New York I wonder if it isn't played out. I think it's too expensive for real artists to live in any more.
>>
>>7440598
>>7440615
In NYC. No it is not. Unless you like alt-lit garbage. There is no art scene because there is no art.

Go on: who are some promising young literary talents in America?

*crickets*
>>
Those kinds of groups are far less likely to coalesce nowadays because writing isn't as respected as it used to me. There's too many distractions.
>>
File: 00.jpg (10 KB, 149x115) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
10 KB, 149x115
>>7440505
>hwwhat
>>
>>7440615
>The thing is that Hemingway, Joyce, Pound, and the rest were all acclaimed as great IN their day, and on top of that their works have stood the test of time

This is the problem. The volume of shit produced nowadays is so massive that it'll take us probably fifty years to sift through all that to figure out what has even a trace of immortality. And is any serious, talented writer a household name right now? Has there been any breakthroughs in literature recently like there was during the Lost Generation?

>Hemingway, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Pound, Stein

They all had their own "gimmick" so to say. They came up with something. Each one of them did something different than what had been done before and spawned a legion of imitators. Are there any writers right now doing anything even remotely similar? All we have is a bunch of postmodern hacks with gimmicks, without quotes.
>>
There will be a new generation of artists who will have abandoned the internet for their artistic pursuits.
>>
>>7440673
>there is no art scene
lol you don't know shit
>>
>>7440435
This. The Internet is the greatest thing that could happen for intellectuals. You don't need to live in the same place to communicate. You can find the most diverse people with the richest wildest ideas.

It's not Internet's fault if we waste it for shit posting on 4chan.we delude ourselves in thinking we missed our chance to be great because our environment wasn't supporting enough when is the exact contrary. We have access to everything we want and need to become great yet we waste this potential because we are too lazy to actually work on bringing humanity one step forward.
>>
>>7441854
Unless you just mean you and your pretentious poet friends from school, let us know who is
1. young
2. talented
3. literary
>>
>>7441882
and I'm not trying to put you down, give me some names because if they exist, I'm interested.
>>
>>7441882
I don't have any poet friends, but I have a few friends who I know will end up publishing works of prose sooner or later. I think the trajectory for this type of success has moved back in today's world. Think of people no longer having kids at 20 but instead 28. Same might be true of publishing something substantial and could in fact be the reason why there seems to be a lack of young literary talent atm. The first people to grow up with the Internet are mid-twenties.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.