[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where do i start with >pic related? am considering tracing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: deconstruction.jpg (120 KB, 1181x1209) Image search: [Google]
deconstruction.jpg
120 KB, 1181x1209
where do i start with >pic related? am considering tracing him backwards as well, but I'm looking to get to know his major works first
>>
first you're gonna need hegel and nietzsche and heidegger and it wouldn't hurt to get marx and some frankfurt school. also althusser and maybe walter benjamin.

then you can go straight into the memes: derrida and delleuze
>>
just don't. you won't need him. ever
>>
>>7438463
thanks for your qualified opinion
>>
Don't do it. Derrida is just a meme. Try a real philosopher. If you like French people that much, read Foucault. At least he wasn't a total douche.

http://www.critical-theory.com/foucault-obscurantism-they-it/
>>
File: oh.gif (3 MB, 260x269) Image search: [Google]
oh.gif
3 MB, 260x269
>>7438466
>mfw thanking the troll but ignoring my sincere reply
>>
>>7438449
I say you need a grounding in Heidegger first and foremost. And Husserl.
I suggest you start with Speech and Phenomena, after that.
>>
>>7438474
>>7438457
i'm sorry, thank you. you know how people tebnd to take more note of negative than positive replies, and so on...
>>
File: Writing and Difference.jpg (25 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
Writing and Difference.jpg
25 KB, 231x346
Pic related isn't a bad start, especially 'Structure, Sign, and Play in the Discourse of the Human Sciences'.
>>
>>7438521
I can agree with this.
>>
>>7438521
Here's a link OP

http://hydra.humanities.uci.edu/derrida/sign-play.html
>>
You start by reading this post:

http://boards.4chan.org/lit/thread/7438449/
>>
>>7438541
thanks! will read.

any tips on foucault as well? considering what >>7438473 wrote. i am slightly familiar with him
>>
File: snek.jpg (288 KB, 1166x875) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
288 KB, 1166x875
>>7438551
Shifting meaning, siginifying the father and the son and the patricide and zo on
>>
>>7438571
>>7436837
Ignore the shitposts and buttblasted /pol/ebs and you can find some recs and discussion
>>
File: wwLQANU.jpg (26 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
wwLQANU.jpg
26 KB, 640x428
>>7438671
pleb snek
>>
i've been giving pomo a fair shot after hating on it for a long time. I like foucault, I like Deleuze, but derrida is just ridiculouly fucking opaque. I feel like there's something really fascinating teetering on the edge of comprehensibility but what I DO get is cool but not worth re-reading the same passage 3 times.

Idk, I think the dude's a hack but I'll keep reading
>>
>>7438449
Start with a good translation, if you can't read him in french.
>>
I like the idea of The Post Card, but not sure if I wanna try it, not sure if my French is good enough.
>>
>>7438676
so basically: read Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morality and follow it up with Foucault's Discipline and Punish and History of Sexuality?
>>
>>7438715
Yeah basically.
>>
start with pic related :^)
>>
>>7438685
Do try to re-read him, even if you feel it's not worth it. You'll see he's not that "opaque" (even more if you already read Deleuze which can be quite difficult), it really is a writing style. There are a lot of times where he speaks about things and try to "demonstrate" them by the very form of the text. Derrida was quite a fond of the Pardes thing in Kabbalah, with multiple reading levels. (Plus, I think the later are his texts, the less "jargon" there is)
>>
of grammatology; the order of things; gender trouble
post-structuralist meme trilogy
>>
>>7439468
>gender trouble
>not Difference and Repetition

step it up son
>>
>>7438449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaPPVuH7aU

as kinda a primer.
>>
>>7439479
deleuze (and guatarri) too post to meme
>>
One of my professors was his student and good friend. The guy is one bad day away from clinically insane but he knows his shit like no other. /blog
>>
Just watch Seinfeld
>>
>>7438449
get yourself acquainted with the saussurean structuralist model of linguistics and then read JL Austens work on performatives if you want to get your foot in the door of post-structuralism. Lacan proves useful at times too, in a lot of his writings you can see the presence of derridian difference along the chain of signification

Probably not a good idea to attempt either of them until you've wrestled with Hegel and Heidegger tho
>>
>>7440525
>then read JL Austens work on performatives if you want to get your foot in the door of post-structuralism

Poor fucking Austin was hijacked by a bunch of diarrhea spouting French faggots. He would have vomited if he knew what people were doing with his text. I'm sure 100% of continental philosophy students have never tried to read Austin and learn about the atmosphere in which he was doing his work. It's really disgraceful that hacks such as Derrida and Judith Butler got associated to Austin, who was a serious thinker, not a meme.
>>
>>7440124
underrated post
>>
>>7440547
you either die a nobody or live long enough to see yourself become a meme
>>
"Deconstruction" is often used in place of "analysis". Can anyone tell me, are they different?
>>
>>7440574
Yes, they are different. Both operate on propositions but while analysis finds loose ends to work within its subject, deconstruction will expand context to reveal a construct where there was a phenomenon.
>>
>>7440815
What.
>>
>>7440569
And there's something something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7440844
With analysis you can learn something yourself, with deconstruction you can watch how the real is fabricated.
>>
>>7438473
>wasn't a total douche
>knowingly infected people with HIV
>>
>>7440547
>learn about the atmosphere in which he was doing his work
intentional fallacy

There's really no need to be so possessive, the very fact that his ideas are translatable into so many different philosophical or textual enquiries simply makes him all the more a valuable writer.
>>
>>7441647
It's funny you say that because the point of Austin's paper (and his influence on the French hacks) is that sign cannot be completely removed from context and retain its original meaning.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.