[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Structure discussion: If You're going to write scifi/fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Structure discussion:
If You're going to write scifi/fantasy but want to deviate from the structure of Joseph Campbell's monomyth/heroes journey, what steps should be taken? What alternate routes would you use to get off the beaten path and forge your own path?

My own method was to have multiple characters "tag in/out to play the role of the hero.

Thoughts? comments?
>>
I thought the point of the monomyth was that you can't deviate from it.
>>
>>7437893

The Hero with a Thousand Faces discusses countless examples of variations and inversions to the formula though.
>>
I want to write a story about a guy who gets court martialled for cowardice and put in isolation for the remainder of the war, then goes home to life out the rest of his life as an assistant mechanic in bumfuck nowhere, spending his nights wandering alone from empty bar to empty bar, his only companions a handful of anime figurines he keeps on the shelves of his dingy bedsit. In an attempt to give his life meaning, writes some fantasy novels, but facing rejection after rejection for decades, eventually gives up. A sort of roman à clef.
What sort of structure would you suggest for this?
>>
>>7437913
8/10 would read
>>
>>7437913
All stories here are works of fiction and should not be believed by anyone
>>
if you haven't studied Polti's 36 dramatic situations, I would go there for some additional inspiration. Polti's categories and the situations of the monomyth are stripped-down enough that I think deviation should just be a matter of adding/subtracting archetypes, or altering the archetypes' functions, stuff like that.
>>
>>7437867
subvert the tropes.
old dude -> not wise but a know-it-all who's always wrong
no refusal to call of adventure
etc

it's better to have never studied the damned monomyth. it's become a cliche. read other theories of writing like lajos egri, donald maass, etc.
>>
>>7437867
How about you just gas that pete up and stop fucking around on a keyboard?
>>
>>7438006
I know it inside and out. I'm just making conversation. Or would you prefer I shitpost about redpill/comfy/spooky/meme stiner/ what is the anime equivalent of _____? Topics? I will take your suggestion, thank you
>>
>>7437867
>If You're going to write scifi/fantasy but want to deviate from the structure of Joseph Campbell's monomyth/heroes journey, what steps should be taken?

don't write it like that. voila!

>mfw people think this is a legitimate question
>>
Stop listening to what some other faggot thinks about writing, and write how you want to write.

That's the only way you'll ever make it, that's what all the great writers did themselves. You need a unique voice, you don't get that buy studying what some aspie in a wig and corset thought about how repressed homosexual shed dwelling, diesel smelling grease monkeys should write.
>>
>>7438108
>implying gasbro isn't asexual
>>
>>7437867
Kill the main character.

This is the only solution.
>>
>>7438454
Already ahead of you.
>>
>>7437983
Polti is the shit
>>
>>7438454
Seconded
>>
>>7437964
I was only bustin' ya balls mate. Love ya really.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.