[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H E L P
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
I can't read a single paragraph without my mind wandering at least a little. It's incredibly frustrating as it's hard to stay focused on what I'm reading, and often have to re-read parts. For the love of God, help.
>>
Just read more for fuck's sake seriously I'm so mad shit fuck
>>
>>7437797
meditate prior to reading
>>
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
>>7437813
I try man. I really do. I read all sorts of stuff, and it hasn't been like this always. But for the past few months it's extremely frustrating. If just more and more reading is the solution - fine
>>
>>7437829
Thanks for not lashing the fuck out on me. I'll try
>>
>>7437797

What is your reading environment like? Do you have distractions? Is it too distraction-free? Any Music?
Would it help to take a few notes do you think?
>>
>>7437852
try harder, go outside, exercise
>>
>>7437797
>>7437813
Let me clarify: I've noticed this when I was reading Freud's Dream Psychology. The thing is, I just keep bringing too much philosophy into a single sentence that I read, and I think way too much, and in the end, miss what the author was saying.
>>
>>7437870
It's mostly just in my room. Pretty calm. I've tried with some ambiental music, in silence...
>>
File: wow9.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wow9.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>7437797
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Get off 4chan, stop jacking off, stop watching anime and playing video games based around stupid repetitive actions and skinnerbox principles.
3. Grab some novels from the /lit/ starter kit, preferably short and straightforward like BNW, and lock yourself up in a library without your smartphone.

Now you're ready to read some books, slugger!
>>
>>7437797
>filename
No wonder. Fuck off back there.
>>
>>7437891
This was actually pretty good. I don't play video games or watch anime, but the rest was pretty much on point. Thanks man!
>>
>>7437891
I like people like you. Not OP, just glad to see people being helpful and sensible.
>>
>>7437901
"Filename"
I'm sorry, how is 12193350_988073234567153_5097098660013824020_n triggering?
>>
>>7437909
>inb4 HE USES THE WORD "TRIGGER", GO BACK TO REDDIT, FAG.
Ayy
>>
>>7437909
L U R K M O R E
U
R
K
M
O
R
E
>>
You're brain is too used to hypertext mediums like the internet. It wants a constant flow of information because you're brain releases dopamine when you're constantly flicking between different threads or sites. When it tries to focus on something linear like text, it doesn't know how to concentrate.

Just spend more time reading, in quiet places where you're able to focus, and spend less time on the internet (you can do that, is browsing 4chan really that important in your life?), and eventually your brain will adapt.
>>
>>7437909
>This is the people you share the board with
>>
>>7437917
Can you elaborate on your first paragraph. I mean do you have a more detailed analysis of what is going on when we browse 4chan. I don't doubt what you say is true. Meme chan is about the worst think you can do for your brain.
>>
File: 513be8XWyoL.jpg (34 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
513be8XWyoL.jpg
34 KB, 334x500
>>7437926

Just read this, if you have the attention span to do it.
>>
>>7437941
hmmm ok thanks
>>
>>7437917
OP again here, this is all completely true, it's easy to just slip by you though. Thank you very much bro
>>
>>7437926
>>7437941
Not him, but I seem to have some notes lying around here...

"When it comes to the quality of thought, our neurons and synapses are entirely indifferent."
"(...) What it does mean is that the vital paths in our brains become, as monsieur Dumont understood, the paths of least resistance."

You see old sport, when all you do is browse epic memes all day your mind adjusts itself to a diet of nothing but surface-level information. Scattered, unrelated fragments. Bullet-points of shallow bullshit. Next, when you try to read something longer than 1000 words you are suddenly unable to digest it. You zone out, can't handle it, can't focus for that long.

"The constant distractedness that the net encourages - the state of being, to borrow another phrase from Eliot's Four Quartets, "distracted from distraction by distraction"- is very different from the kind of temporary, purposeful diversion of our mind that refreshes our thinking when we're weighing a decision. The net's cacophony of stimuli short-circuits both conscious and unconscious thought, preventing our minds from thinking either deeply or creatively."

tl;dr (haha!) we are all fucked.
>>
>>7438008
>tfw I literally stopped reading your post halfway through
wow, that was illuminating. Thank Quentin
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.