[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books about music? Preferably regarding theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 133952-133682.png (564 KB, 1280x649) Image search: [Google]
133952-133682.png
564 KB, 1280x649
What are some good books about music? Preferably regarding theory and/or history, but anything about music is okay.
>>
K-on.
>>
>>7435734
mann's Doctor Faustus might be just what you're looking for.
>>
>>7435734
Not really relevant to music theory, but The Birth of Tragedy has some really interesting statements about music and art as a whole.
>>
>>7435734

I found Beethoven: His Spiritual Development by J.W.N Sullivan to be very entertaining. After reading it, listening to Beethoven now imparts the sort of sacred, profound feeling that usually only Bach would give me.
>>
Harmony by Schenker
>>
Schoenberg's book on composiiton is really excellent.
>>
>>7435734
Just started Kierksgaard's introduction to tonal music, it's aight so far, google it and read about it to see if it looks like something you might like. If you're in Uni your library might well have it.
>>7435738
This if you're ready tho
>>
>>7436786
Disregard that, Westergaard not Kierksgaard, fuck I need to go to bed
>>
>>7435734
Some anon mentioned Schönberg, he's fine. Also pick up Walter Piston's Harmony, Counterpoint and Instrumentation. Especially that last one is really well-written. Not sure if they're translated but I heard the books by Diether de la Motte are also good.

For jazz theory I'd go with Mark Levin's book.

For (western) music history all you really need is Grout's a history of western music.

t. music major
>>
Thanks for the recommendations guys.
>>
>>7435734

Alex Ross's The Rest of Noise is a great book on 20th century (mostly) classical music.
>>
A Treatise on the Fugue by F.W. Marpurg.

Pedagogic and an excellent insight into fugue writing as well as a contemporary view of Bach's works.
>>
Anyone read The Aesthetics of Music by Scruton or Wagner by Tanner? They're both on my to-read list.
>>
>>7436574
kek kill self family

Rosen's Classical Style if you're not looking for actual theory but rather, musicology, is pretty nice.
>>
>>7435734
Proust
>>
>>7438933
any1?
>>
Schubert's Winter Journey is great and aesthetic af
>>
>>7438933
pls gib recommendation
>>
>>7439245
please stop using aesthetic in a way that means "good" it makes you look illiterate
>>
File: Bangs_Psychotic.jpg (95 KB, 300x463) Image search: [Google]
Bangs_Psychotic.jpg
95 KB, 300x463
anyone read this? i haven't yet but i've heard great things, and i definitely enjoy what i have read from bangs.
>>
>>7436788

Lmao I was about to be very surprised in discovering a little known piece of Kierkies literature
>>
>>7435734
It's pop science fun, but I really enjoyed David Byrne (of the Talking Heads) On Music. It talks about how venue changed the way people played music more than anything else. Good stuff
>>
>>7436934
>jazz
>music
>>
GOAT:

Gradus ad Parnasum
The Study of Fugue
Treatise on Orchestration and Instrumentation
>>
>>7435738
>a seminal textbook on counterpoint written by Johann Fux in 1725, but still used today for instruction in musical theory and composition; Leopold Mozart is said to have taught his son Wolfgang from its pages. Beethoven held it in great esteem, and Haydn meticulously worked out each of its exercises.
>>
>>7439726

He's a very enjoyable critic and writer, but I also really hate him because his influence, which still reaches us through shit like P4K and TMT, has been the death of popular music criticism.
>>
>>7438758
The Rest *is* Noise, and yes, I would highly recommend this book over all other music books to start off
>>
OP Are you still around? A tripfriend was kind enough to upload a bevy of literature related to music and music theory
>>>/mu/60908932
>>
>>7439245
>winter journey
>monolinguists
>>
What would you guys recommend in more simpler stuff? (reading sheets, stuff like that)
>>
>>7436934
How does Grout's compare to Taruskin's? Haven't read the former, but I cant imagine a book about the subject being better than the Oxford.
>>
>>7441107
Rad, thanks friendo.
>>
>>7441586
Haven't delved too deep into the Oxford, but I remember the Grout being a bit more unbiased. Taruskin's more concerned with writing a cohesive narrative.

That being said Grout is the standard for all conservatories here (the Netherlands), so make of that what you will.
>>
>>7435734
On the Sensations of Tone by Hermann von Helmholtz
>>
>>7441121
the author of the book has sung winterreise hundreds of times but well meme'd either way
>>
>>7436934
OP here. I've heard the 5th edition of Walter Piston's Harmony is atrocious, and I've heard it's recommended to search for the fourth edition instead. Do you (or anyone else) have any insight into that?
>>
File: danielou.jpg (46 KB, 337x499) Image search: [Google]
danielou.jpg
46 KB, 337x499
comparison of systems and metaphysical speculation about influence of sound on the mind by a hinduismboo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Dani%C3%A9lou

some 19th century highlights (many translated to english)
http://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Composition%20%28Music%29%22
>albrechtsberger
>adolf bernhard marx
>simon sechter
>>
>>7442600
Thanks for the tip then, I'll see if I can get a kindle version.
>>
>>7435734
>>>/mu/60908932
>>
File: 1961805.jpg (32 KB, 318x464) Image search: [Google]
1961805.jpg
32 KB, 318x464
I got you right here my nigga
>>
>>7435734

Copland's What to Listen for in Music.

Stravinsky's Poetics in Music is good.
>>
>>7443442
If you can get one, please post it here. I've been looking for one for ages, only have the physical copy atm.
>>
>>7444834
>Copland's What to Listen for in Music.
Different anon here, I'd like to add that this is only of real use to people who have no understanding of classical music or who are complete laymen when it comes to music.
>>
Liveforever by Andres Caicedo
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.