[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/, I am painfully slow reader. Can you give me any advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1444876196875.jpg (54 KB, 624x663) Image search: [Google]
1444876196875.jpg
54 KB, 624x663
/lit/, I am painfully slow reader. Can you give me any advice? Just as an example I read 70 pages of a nonfiction book in about 4 hours yesterday. I've heard "don't subvocalize" before, but I don't know what to change. Do you still perceive the sound?
>>
just focus on the sound of your breathing while reading, and you won't subvocalize. It works for me, but I still subvoc because I'm a plen
>>
>>7435575
this may sound wild but if you keep reading you will get better at it
>>
>I've heard "don't subvocalize"
For real, fuck off with this meme
>>
I'm a slow reader and I just read poetry and short stories
>>
>>7435575
It helps when I count in my head (1-10 over and over) while I'm reading. Counting is automatic enough where I don't have to figure out where to go next, and it cuts out the subvocalizing. Eventually I'll get rid of the numbers, and you should too, but it helps me get adjusted in the meantime.
>>
>>7435575
Anything worth reading deserves your time. Don't listen to these faggots and don't listen to the voice in your head trying to rush you. You'll lose value from what you're reading
>>
>>7436066
This desu senpai

Speed reading is foolish if you're not reading something for work. Enjoy the book you're reading. Notice the subtleties you wouldn't otherwise find.
>>
omg, can we have a general on this topic. it's the same fucking thread over n over.
>>
do you autists actually sound out the words while you read? surely you're not that retarded.

is this just a whole fingerbox thing?
>>
>>7436189

I can't read anything without sounding the words out in my head. If I try not to, then I end up just looking at words without knowing what I'm looking at. I have to imagine the sounds to understand what I'm reading.
>>
>>7435575
>of a nonfiction book
Could you be any more unspecific? This could mean anything up to a book about biochemistry, you faggot
>>
>>7435575
There's nothing wrong in being a slow reader. Don't fall for this meme.
>>
I bite my tongue while reading, helps a bunch.

Looks dumb though.
>>
>>7438095
what does your tongue do when you don't bite it?
>>
>>7438121
Nothing that I can detect, but I read a lot slower when I don't bite my tongue.
>>
Imagine recalling how much time you've spent worrying about your reading speed on your deathbed. There is absolutely no need for you to worry about how quickly you read. Just do whatever.
>>
>>7435575
Accelareader is pretty helpful. Its a website where you past in text and it flashes words in front of you at whatever pace you set. I use it for online articles.

It's impossible to subvocalize with 300+ words per minute flashing at you.
>>
>>7436269
Do you say "stop" in your head when u see a stop sign?
>>
>>7435575
is that woster fallace?
>>
inb4 the 5 page copy pasta.
>>
This thread was really hard to read because I would subvocalize and then I wouldn't and then I would and then I wouldn't and I'm not really sure what any of you faggots said but holy shit shut the fuck up.
>>
>>7440665
I didn't subvocalize until I started going on 4chan. It makes it easier to detect irony.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.