[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only being to exist in this world? What's not saying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_nnykehdRKe1sffhrpo1_400.jpg (51 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnykehdRKe1sffhrpo1_400.jpg
51 KB, 400x336
Am I the only being to exist in this world? What's not saying youre all products of my imagination.
>>
>>7435472
sage this thread and don't reply. this is what OP wants.
>>
>>7435476
how can you sage something without replying?
>>
File: 1429390248109.jpg (34 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1429390248109.jpg
34 KB, 368x368
I'll bet you've never been slapped before.
>>
>>7435493
fugg DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:
>>
File: the weak should fear the strong.png (523 KB, 478x598) Image search: [Google]
the weak should fear the strong.png
523 KB, 478x598
>>7435472
But I fancy one of you objecting: This may be very true, but it neglects the fundamental distinction between matter and life, namely the phenomenon of consciousness. Very good, my dear sir, let us endeavour to analyse this phenomenon of consciousness, and see whether denying consciousness to matter may not be just as dogmatic as asserting that matter possesses it. Now let me ask you a question: Do you think I am a conscious being, and if so, why? The only answer you can give to that question will be agnostic. You really do not know whether I am conscious or not. Each individual ego can assert of itself that it is conscious, but to assert that that group of sensations which you term me is conscious, is an assumption, however reasonable it may appear. For you, sir, I and the rest of the external world are automata, pure bits of mechanism; it may be practically advisable for you to endow us with consciousness, but how can you prove it? You will reply: I see spontaneous actions on your part, similar to those I can produce myself. I am compelled by analogy to endow you with will and consciousness. Good! you argue by analogy that I have consciousness; you will doubtless grant it to the animal world; now you cannot break the chain of analogy anywhere till you have descended through the whole plant world to the simple cell, there you find apparently spontaneous motion and argue life—consciousness. Now I carry your argument a step further and tell you that I find in the ultimate atom of matter most complex phases of motion and capacity for influencing the motion of others. All these things are to me inexplicable. They appear spontaneous motion; ergo by analogy, dear sir, matter is conscious.

Now the only thing, which I am certain is conscious, is my own individual ego; I find nothing, however, more absurd in the assertion that matter is conscious, than in the assertion that the simple cell is conscious, or working upwards that you are conscious. They are all at present unproven assertions. That matter is conscious is no more nonsense than that life is mechanism; possibly some day, as the human intellect develops with the centuries, we may be able to show that one or other of these statements is true, or more probably that both are true.
>>
>>7435472
That is the most likely possibility.
>>
>>7435472
Duuuude Brandon has Fight Club on DVD
>>
File: 1449355598027.jpg (58 KB, 1089x824) Image search: [Google]
1449355598027.jpg
58 KB, 1089x824
Yes OP, that's the gist of it.
>>
>>7435472
what happens if I'm a production of your imagination as something I've produced myself from my own imagination?
>>
>>7435472
Because you're all products of MY imagination
>>
What happens if I'm the product of everyone else's imagination?
>>
>>7435472
you're not smart enough to imagine me
>>
This is you.
>>
Cause if everything were in your head you'd be someplace interesting and not on /lit/
>>
>>7435472
If that was true then everyone would be gay just like you.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.