[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who say that there are no moral truths or that morality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Jesus-Christ-Exhortation.jpg (820 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-Christ-Exhortation.jpg
820 KB, 2560x1600
People who say that there are no moral truths or that morality is relative ought to be executed or exiled by the State, as those who do not accept any moral authority as being above human opinion cannot be trusted to obey the civil law, nor can they be trusted not to pervert the civil law to their own ends if put in positions of political or judicial authority.
>>
And, obviously, any academics that teach such positions in any setting other than "devil's advocate" ought to be removed from their positions and stripped of their degrees/doctorates as a form of public disgrace.
>>
>>7435144
>executed
Murder is a sin.

Otherwise I think you're right.
>>
>>7435144
>says moral relativity is wrong
>tolerates anyone who accepts ANY moral authority
>>
File: tumblr_nx8bu0IlmG1qbb702o1_400.jpg (85 KB, 400x501) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx8bu0IlmG1qbb702o1_400.jpg
85 KB, 400x501
>>
>>7435144
>morality is relative=all acts are permissible
what's that christfag? I couldn't hear you with your mouth full of Dostoevsky dick

srs tho, if everyone accepted that what we consider 'moral' is - no matter how we rhetorically dress it up - entirely founded upon self-interest, self-preservation and self-determination, then there would be no need for violence or crime. A society privileging egoism above any other moral creed would necessarily require each egoist to co-operate with each other, because that would be the most profitable way of serving their own self as an end in itself.
>>
I think that's what Donald Trump was trying to say.
>>
>>7435144
>cannot be trusted to obey the civil law
What if they have a strict moral code that doesn't line up with the law?
>>
>>7436198
>there would be no need for violence or crime

People need an impetus not to commit atrocities: this is why Christianity is important.
>>
>>7435144
Since when does the notion that morality is relative automatically coincide with a lack of morality?
>>
>>7435171
topkek
>>
>>7435144

What if someone believes in a moral truth that requires them to disobey a civil law?
>>
>>7436277
This is really the main reason people think monotheists are dumb. They just can't give up the position that the world would go up in flames without them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.