[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys read the harry potter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 9780545162074_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg (81 KB, 665x595) Image search: [Google]
9780545162074_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg
81 KB, 665x595
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys read the harry potter series? I bought the first 2 books when i was 9 at a book fair and I just couldn't get into them. What do you think of them nowadays (if you read them as a kid)? A girl I knew in high school read them for an English project and I thought personally it was plebish to do kids book in high school but maybe i'm missing something.
>>
>>7434446
re-reading them now. one thing that stands out now more is how much humor and grimness there is.
>>
>>7434446
Patrician here, I read them when I was a kid. I think if one thing stands as memorable it was the atmosphere developed around the castle. They are definitely 'comfy' books, but yeah, the idea of examining them academically is questionable unless you are specifically investigating YA
>>
I read 1-5
5 I read in 2 days, without eat or sleep.
Immediately lost interest.
Picked the last book up in a book store 10 years later and read the epilogue, snorted and kept walking.
>>
>>7434446
I read all of them as a kid once first because everyone was talking about them and then after 5 when nobody cared anymore, I just read 6 and 7 because I felt I had to.

Waste of time. Didn't like them.
>>
I read up to The Order of the Phoenix but by the time the 6th one came out I was 15 and not interested any more. From what I recall they were rather cosy, but there is something a bit pathetic about adults who read them. If I was to reread a fantasy series from my youth I'd rather it be His Dark Materials. It's just altogether more mature and edifying.
>>
I read all of them a bunch of times when I was a kid. I'm not as huge about it nowadays, but I have to say they're great books. It reminds of LOTR in a way, because it's a huge universe created and you just get very curious about it and keep searching and reading about the lore.
>>
>>7434579
Even as a ten year old, I thought Pullman was complete pretentious horseshit. At least Harry Potter doesn't take itself oh-so-seriously.
>>
>>7435015
Oh my god yes.
>>
>>7434446

I enjoyed them a great deal when i was a kid, but haven't touched them since I was twelve. I wonder, how is Rowling's writing?
>>
>>7434446

I love them. They're the books that really got me into writing.
>>
>>7434531
atmosphere def is what makes this book comfy
>>
>>7434446
Basically this >>7434531
They are really comfy. I read them as a kid. I like the story and the characters, all the series has a nice structure. I think most of its success relies on that most of the series' readers grew up together with the characters. Each book is a bit darker than the one before. The last book is filled with love issues, death and political problems. It's nice and comfy.
>>
>>7434446
Not me, was well into adulthood when they came out. Saw no need.
>>
i read them as an adult. they were ok but i prefer prydain and narnia.
>>
>>7434446
I was 13 when the last one came out. Haven't reread since. I imagine I'd still like them, just not as much.
>>
Never read them. I was reading Stephen King novels when they came out...I was above reading children's books.
>>
They're honestly really good

JKR has a lot subtle plots going behind the surface and late revelations that completely change how you view the earlier books

I kinda like how the whole series is a crazy plot by chessmaster Dumbledore who literally manipulates Harry's entire life to have his perfect storybook hero. He's an MC only by perspective, basically everything is orchestrated by Dumby
>>
>>7434579
>His Dark Materials
>mature and edifying
it was god who did it!!!
evil christianity xDDDD teenager sex
>>
Liked them when I was younger. Lupin is and will always be best boy.
>>
I read the whole series and watched the movies and I didn't like it which I found dull and “dumb”—especially the humor I couldn't stand—yet unlike Harold Bloom's critics I must admit it might have induced a slightly good influence on the overall imaginary and literary activities, far beyond “The Chronicles of Narnia” and “The Lord of the Rings” I always thought of as a “niche” interest. Anyway, I don't think I would give it to my children because in the last years, I found a supply of old children books and grew a burning passion for them as I discovered some are really challenging both in the prose and the plot (I still have in mind a Russian absurd tale). However, this remains a children book and you're right to consider its sincere study plebish as hell.

>>7434514
Calling yourself a “patrician” makes you the plebest one in this thread.
>>
when i was young i couldn't get into them because i didn't like rowling's writing style.
i preferred a straight-forward academic style of writing since i preferred non-fiction. i feel as though i've missed out.
>>
What does it say about me that I enjoy HP far more at 23 than I did at 15?
>>
>>7437408
You're a tasteless pleb.
>>
>>7434446

I think that from fifth book you can create an essay that this is a great example of totalitarism criticism for kids.
>>
>>7437415
What does that even mean?
>>
>>7437648
It means you appreciate low quality material that happens to be popular. I hope you acknowledge it with honesty and a reasonable amount of shame and don't make fun of yourself by falling in the “just read what you like” or “quality is subjective” traps.
>>
>>7437729
fanfiction expands a lot on the HP universe, so popularity definitely helped
>>
>>7434446
Read the whole series, but had to force myself to finish the last books. Honestly the last books were really bad, and the epilogue was painful to read.
>>
File: hb.jpg (14 KB, 266x319) Image search: [Google]
hb.jpg
14 KB, 266x319
>tried re-reading them again recently because of claims and memories that it was "comfy"
>couldn't get past the first couple times someone said "stretch their legs"
>mfw
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.