[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bernard Cornwell >where should i start >never read anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Bernard Cornwell

>where should i start
>never read anything by him
>if this is a common thread i didnt know/ sorry
>>
thanks /lit
>>
>>7432143
we don't read people like him, you should ask /his/
>>
Read what you want to.
>>
>>7432046
>pick up book
>read it

Was that so hard?
>>
>>7432046
Don't start. Historical fiction is s waste of time.

Read War and Peace if you want melodrama spliced with historical fact.
>>
>>7432046
read waterloo.
he talks about english infantry chuckling when a roundshot blew a man's head to pieces and got spaghetti on the column
>>
File: Bernard_Cornwell.jpg (990 KB, 948x1378) Image search: [Google]
Bernard_Cornwell.jpg
990 KB, 948x1378
>i'm so english i shit the queen.jpeg
>>
>>7432710
pfft all that money he cant floss his fucking teeth what a corroded bag of shit
>>
>>7432344

duurrrr you fucking retard
>>
>>7432046
I've read all the sharpe novels and most of them are decent. Skip all the prequels he wrote after the series (They're rubbish, Sharpe and his mates are basicly superheroes) and start reading with Sharpe's Rifles, and stop reading after the novel that deals with Waterloo. Also, definitely read Bernard Cornwell's notes on the historical accuracy of his novels, included at the end of each one. After you finish the series you will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the peninsular war, albeit you will be under the false impression that Wellington's army was literally the only deciding factor of Napoleon's downfall.

I had a crack at his american civil war series (I forget the name) and it was pretty terrible and I didn't get through the second one.

I haven't read his other famous series' on the middle ages, although my Grandfather keeps nagging me to, so they're probably decent.
>>
>>7432046
I read the Uthred series when i was somewhat younger. Quite good, but nothing spectacular looking back. Also read Azincourt, which i probably wouldn't recommend.

I would personally recommend CJ Sansom's Dissolution if you're interested in history-fic.
>>
>>7432046
Most of the Sharpe books are a cracking good time if you like historical fiction, big Irish guys, a main character who's literally played by Sean Bean, and people getting blown up by cannonballs.

Haven't read much of anything else he's written though.

>>7432347
>I don't like thing
>so its bad
>>>/mu/
>>
>>7432046
The King Arthur series was good beach reading.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.