[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm tired of looking up words on my kindle and finding that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 8kECN.jpg (240 KB, 991x742) Image search: [Google]
8kECN.jpg
240 KB, 991x742
I'm tired of looking up words on my kindle and finding that they are not available in the default dictionary. Does anyone have a far more complete dictionary that they are using on their ereader?
>>
>>7429891
>not using a dictionary
>>
>>7429891
google . com : define word
dictionary . com
>>
>>7429900
Regular dictionary breaks the flow of reading too much.
>>
>>7429900
>>7429903
I'm looking for a dictionary I can add into the reader so I can just define it by pressing down my finger.
>>7429915
This
>>
>>7429918
I read on a chair, holding a physical book and laptop on my knees behind it. It's comfortable and convenient.
>>
>using any dictionary besides the OED
>>
File: word-of-the-year.png (150 KB, 648x236) Image search: [Google]
word-of-the-year.png
150 KB, 648x236
>>7429936
>OED
I'll pass.
>>
>>7429926
Most of the time I spend reading, I am not even at home or in a position where this is possible. And even when I am, reading time is reading time and that is all I want to be focused on. The internet is just too much of a distraction and the little time I spend here is enough of a pull on my mental health as it is.
>>7429936
That is the default. When they get their shit together and include more words then I'll use it. Until then, I am looking for other options
>>
>>7429891
I'm also interested, but what are you reading? It happens on occasion, but mostly, even archaic words are in it- better than my browser dictionary.
>>
>>7429959
It happens all the time with Cormac McCarthy and Pynchon. I realize they both have the tendency to make up words and stretch the lexical limits, but there are quite a few that I come across that feel like they should be in there. Often I will later look them up online and I will be able to find the definitions on dictionary.com or some place.

I'm just looking for something that is or at least bills itself as comprehensive so that I don't have to worry about it as much. It feels like something that should exist.
>>
I use a dictionary app on my phone. Saves all my searches so I can review them. Really helps with retention
>>
>>7429945
>being a prescriptivist
>the year in which we currently are

shiggydiggy
>>
>>7429891
bump
>>
>>7429891
final bump
>>
>>7429891
My mind, to be honest.
>>
>>7429891
wordnik.com
is the most comprehensive dictionary i've used desu senpai
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.