[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What have you done today to increase utility?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: greatergood.png (8 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
greatergood.png
8 KB, 360x240
What have you done today to increase utility?
>>
>>7428924
I wish the bastards who founded this idiotic ideology just committed suicide because it would be the closest they could get to fulfilling their principles.
>>
>>7428934
You seem angry anon, I'm sorry to say, but that's decreasing utility.
>>
>>7428924
I own slaves.

Enslaving a minority for the majority is A-OK.

Thanks, based Anglo morality.
>>
>>7428936
Good. Decreasing utility makes me happier than can be imagined.
>>
>>7428940
Well that's good anon, that increases utility!
>>
>>7428943
But that makes me unhappier than can be imagined.
>>
Just woke up at dusk, probably going to spend some welfare money on vodka.
>>
>>7428959
Good for you anon! Remember to enjoy it, we wouldn't want to lose out on any hedons.
>>
>>7429011
I murdered a homeless old guy who had no family members and who burdened the State through welfare collection. Doing so made me really happy and alleviated the State.
>>
>>7429021
Good to know anon! I hope you killed him in his sleep, we wouldn't want to lower our utility margins!
>>
>>7429041
Of course! I also pissed on some sleeping kids as well since it's my fetish. They didn't wake up while I did the act but afterwards, they just thought they wet the bed. Bless their precious hearts.
>>
>>7429047
Good thinking anon!
>>
Today I didn't push a fat guy onto a track, so a speeding train didn't slow down and killed five people.
>>
>>7429091
;_;
>>
>>7429011
Thanks lad, having a nice can of tuna now as well. I'm like a hedon generator over here.
>>
How do you increase the concept of utility? Isn't the point of utility itself to focus completely on the material world around me in a way or another?
>>
Wrote some math proofs for a new homotopy type-theory application that I'm helping to bring into existence. Humans were unaware of these implications before me and my co-author thought about it.

So tell me what you did, anon.
>>
File: peterSingersBasement.jpg (301 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
peterSingersBasement.jpg
301 KB, 1000x1000
It seems this argument pretty much destroys utilitarianism
>>
What kind of build do I need to play to maximise hedons?
>>
>>7430469
Except it doesn't. A creature that destroys pipes is a harm to everyone, not just the person whose pipes he's currently destroying. The aggregate social good includes all potential victims and also takes into account the fear and dread that the monster exists and there is risk it could come destroy your pipes.

Obviously, this outweighs the pleasure derived by the monster.

This is the kind of argument someone who read the Wiki of Utilitarianism and nothing else posits, btw.
>>
File: BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg (54 KB, 301x452) Image search: [Google]
BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg
54 KB, 301x452
who /role playing good brave new world citizen/ irl here?

>tfw you use hypnopaedic slogans whenever possible
>>
>>7430469
Pleb here
What's the point of this example? I mean, I can't think of any real life "utility monster".
>>
>>7428939
Ahh, but economics shows us that slavery actually isn't the most profitable thing for the majority. More utility could be derived by freeing them.
>>
>>7431087
Except even factoring in the fear and dread of this meme monster, it shows the arbitrariness of this inane philosophy. How do we decide what weight is applied to fear and dread? Arbitrarily, ultimately.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.