[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does he have literary merit, or is he a plebeian genre fiction hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: PhilipDick.jpg (16 KB, 300x389) Image search: [Google]
PhilipDick.jpg
16 KB, 300x389
Does he have literary merit, or is he a plebeian genre fiction hack?
>>
File: silence is golden.jpg (127 KB, 779x380) Image search: [Google]
silence is golden.jpg
127 KB, 779x380
He walks the line. I won't call him a hack at all though. He's more literary than Bukowski.
>>
He manages to be really interesting despite an utter inability to write characters or sentences.
>>
>>7425442
no he isn't, bukowski had a couple of good poems.

>>7424964
VALIS does, but most of the tripe he wrote is trash
>>
>>7425442
That picture. It's not a fair analogy. Minimalism in writing can be elegant. ICP actually is bottom line trash and belongs in the actual trash.
>>
Yes he was a good author. Stop trying to categorise everything and just enjoy it. He wrote entertaining novels with interesting ideas. Literature is entertainment first and foremost - if it isn't interesting then it isn't worthwhile, if it isn't worthwhile then it's a waste of time.
>>
>>7425478
>no he isn't, bukowski had a couple of good poems.
Name them please.
>>7425498
Bukowski wasn't really a minimalist, it's an apologetic, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>7425503
>Literature is entertainment first and foremost

look! ideology trying to reduce all discourse into meaninglessness happening in the wild!

i wish i had a reaction image for it
>>
>>7425510
born like this, girl in a miniskirt, just off the op of my head.
>>
>>7425527
Entertainment is meaningless?
>>
>>7425442
Bukowski would be better compared with someone like Gucci Mane.
>>
File: 24.jpg (203 KB, 1566x631) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
203 KB, 1566x631
>>7425543
>born like this
I'll assume this is "Dinosauria, We". It's a mediocre poem that a high schooler could write. No depth, just rambling off a laundry list. If you want, I'll write you one of close value in a matter of minutes. I don't know you for shit, and I can tell you that you could write a better poem.
>girl in a miniskirt
I'll assume this is "Girl In A Miniskirt Reading The Bible Outside My Window" This one is more shallow and flat then the first.

These are not good poems. Shel Silverstein put out better poems in children's books.
>>
File: 1437703248805s.jpg (5 KB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1437703248805s.jpg
5 KB, 250x187
>>7425503
>Literature is entertainment first and foremost - if it isn't interesting then it isn't worthwhile, if it isn't worthwhile then it's a waste of time.
>>
>>7425626
why do you even have that pic

seems like you got a bone to pick with bukowski specifically. i think girl in a miniskirt is good.
>>
>>7425642
bullkowski is a femanon whose mom used to mess around with bukowski. it's personal.
>>
File: 27pq.jpg (75 KB, 1562x148) Image search: [Google]
27pq.jpg
75 KB, 1562x148
>>7425642
>why do you even have that pic
Why not.
>seems like you got a bone to pick with bukowski specifically
I didn't tell you to come up to me and continue about Bukowski. This was a Philip K. Dick thread.
>i think girl in a miniskirt is good.
"Girl In A Miniskirt Reading The Bible Outside My Window" is shit, even for the standard Bukowski poem.
>>7425657
I don't know why you'd attribute Bullkowski to me. I'm simply posting accompanying pictures under the auspices of "Anonymous". Though I do believe both your claims are completely unfounded.
>>
>pkd thread
>bukowski everywhere
>>
>>7425691
>Why not.

because it's pretty transparent that you explicitly mentioned bukowski in hopes someone would take you up on it and put your 'bukowski sucks' folder to use.
>>
File: They get worse daily.jpg (279 KB, 1158x912) Image search: [Google]
They get worse daily.jpg
279 KB, 1158x912
>>7425699
Yeah, it got out of hand.
>>7425706
What does you thinking I have mind control abilities have to do with me having possession of a jpg image on a image bulletin board?
>>
>>7425633
Nice retort pham.
>>
>>7425527
I see you Žižek
>>
>>7424964
His writting is simple but his stories are great. Not all of them but he manages to talk about deep themes and also be entertaining.
>>
>>7424964
I’m currently reading The Divine Invasion and at the start of the book where the protagonist is in a dry freeze waiting to get a replacement spleen but dreaming that he is still alive and in an earlier part of his life on a wintry planet in his little 'dome', I found to be one of the coziest chapters I’ve ever read in a book. Until the god of the mountain shows up and starts burning shit up. It was just a really nice way of setting up the exposition. But then it goes unrelentingly into the theological side of things and the characters, god himself even, become mouthpieces for PKD’s own theories and thoughts, concentrated forms of them, as I read in Exegesis. The more I read the more I got a feeling he truly believes his divided Godhead and veil of unreality theories.

Also on the back cover of the book they compared PKD to Borges. Does anyone here agree with that kind of comparison? Borges let the mystery stew in his reader and PKD revealed everything in detail, it seems to me.

I also enjoyed Ubik, and The Man in the High Castle more than Valis. I don't think he's a hack.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.