[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>started reading The Crying of Lot 49 this week >tfw Pynchon's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1442160344826.png (139 KB, 273x220) Image search: [Google]
1442160344826.png
139 KB, 273x220
>started reading The Crying of Lot 49 this week
>tfw Pynchon's writing makes me feel inadequate, both as a reader and a writer
>tfw 99% of its depth goes over my head

How do you guys deal with this (assuming you do)?
>>
>>7418929
I started with the Greeks, so everything has become clear.
>>
>>7418929
Use supplementary materials or take extra time to decipher confusing sections. Don't expect to understand all of it without any effort: Pynchon is much, much smarter than you, and figuring out what he means is part of the fun.
>>
>>7418942

>Pynchon is much, much smarter than you

This may be the case, but it's unfair to suggest a fluid comparison between acquisition (in the case of the reader) and Pynchon's presumably long-premeditated thought that he eventually puts down to print.

This is usually the case for any dense literature, it takes time to ingest such things. The writer doesn't just fluently surge through the process, so the reader probably won't either.
>>
>>7418929
It's not going over your head, he's just starting up threads and plot lines and abandoning them as a huge fuck you to plot
>>
>>7418929
Lot 49 isn't that sophisticated if you know much about the underground political history of that era. Read up on MKULTRA, anti-subversive operations, the beginnings of the psychedelic movement, and Pynchon's own life, then remember that it's not all supposed to become 100% coherent anyway.
>>
Pinecone's thought strictly serves an aesthetic end. It doesn't matter 'what he means'. spoiler alert
>>
>tfw don't know shit about history or STEM
>>
Anyone have the pic of the GR editions and their covers?
>>
>>7419046
Not true at all, with the exception of V. Pynchon wrote about seriously shady and concerning stuff with regard to the military-industrial complex, intelligence agencies having their own agendas changing gender roles, the alteration of the historical record offer time, and the battles and cooperation a between subversives and the government at the outset of the psychedelic era.

Purely aesthetic my ass.
>>
you've putting pynchon on too much of a pedestal, especially with lot 49
just enjoy it, it's supposed to be funny.

also the band they hang out with is the beatles.
>>
>>7418964

This. Also, I thought Pinecone confessed that he used to literally look into fact books to write shit so that he would seem smarter.
>>
Go to bed Garrett
>>
>>7419543
Real talk, OP. (also what makes you say they were the beatles?)
The sort of 2deep4u vibe is part of the experience.
And most of it gets wrapped up in a pretty surface level way by the end. Not all of it, but the bigger points. Just have faith.

But yeah, the scene with the play totally threw me for a loop on my first read through. I read it a couple times as best as I could but I still had to keep going back to it when the plot would reference things about it.

The big problem I had was that I kept thinking I was supposed to know what the Trystero was. But you actually aren't really until the end.
>>
You cannot become good at running if all you do is walk. Only by trying and struggling to run can you reach any modicum of improvement. Likewise, you cannot become more intelligent as a reader by reading books that are already completely intelligible to you.
>>
>>7418942
TCoL49 isn't that hard to read. The opening sentence is beautiful and the jucity goodness just flows on from there. Not to mention, his references (outside of the whole postal history stuff which is barmy greatness) isn't too obscure, the stuff about Maxwell's demon comes up a lot in other author's works: pretty sure Tom Stoppard's Arcadia talks about it.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get him just yet however, I've always thought that was half the point to his writings - the vague, not-quite-sure feeling of paranoid conspiracies just floating over the characters and text is so wonderful; you should get wrapped up in it too.
>>
>>7418929
an dfw
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.