[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NOT WORTH IT T B H F A M
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: UlyssesCover[1].jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
UlyssesCover[1].jpg
20 KB, 374x478
Holy fuck,

I am maybe 20 pages from finishing this 730 page book, and honestly I can barely force myself to get through it.

So far, this book contains perhaps 250~ pages of the most beautiful prose I've personally ever read.
There are truly some gems of passages in this book.

Normally you have to dig through dirt for your Gems, but this book makes you dig though boring whinging by a moapy cu-ck, truly depressingly boring metaphysical garbage (no wonder eliot loved this book, its got cu'cks and boring metaphysical attempts at discussing otherwise interesting topics like literature) and some fucking stupid tangents which never reward the reader with anything.

Some of the ideas that encompass the chapters are MARVELOUS.
Specifically episode 15, the play script, and episode 17 where the entire chapter is an overly analytical autism fest in the best possible way, where human meaning is somehow teased out of the clinical language and descriptions.
Its so fucking amazing when it works well, but really it hardly ever does.
Thank god stream of consciousnesses is mostly dead, while we are on the topic.

>expected cheeky bantz and ssj.Dubliners
>got boring whingy stream of cu-cksciousness

WOW

Feel kind of sick that a man could take a love for the Odyssey and turn it into this crap DESU.
I feel disappointed in Joyce, in a way.I feel honestly let down. Because parts of this book are so fucking good that I see Dante or Shakespeare poking their heads out. He could have been a giant and given something entirely new to the world. made something his own.

Now I begin to feel he sits in the "literary pantheon" much the way the soggy Bloom sits in his wedding bed.
Putting Ulysses In the meme-trilogy with Infinite Jest is, in all none-meme'n honesty, an insult to Infinite Jest. Yes I am 100% as serious as cancer.

If you have been considering reading this book, don't.
Go read some "quotes" from it. You will get the few golden scraps.

Disappointed. If I'm ever in Ireland I'll make sure to go piss on Joyce's grave. I'm sure is tiny bleached boner would rise in its grave.
>>
retard
>>
ok
>>
he coulda been a contender he coulda had class
>>
This is just bait. Dammit. I just finished the book. It really is fucking amazing.
>>
That's nice faggot.
>>
File: GA2011-011-00016-09.jpg (373 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
GA2011-011-00016-09.jpg
373 KB, 1000x800
I really do think Joyce is just a meme, though. I tried to read his work and found the whole structure thoroughly unenjoyable and just totally lazy.
>>
>>7418427
Let this post be your only reply
>>
>>7418213
obviously don't appreciate the ineluctable modality of the visible.
pleb.
>>
>>7418427
echoing my sentiments
>>
>doesn't know where Joyce is burried
>pisses on his book anyway
>>
>>7418213
I know this is bait but I actually agree, in part. The best in this book is diluted, very diluted, but most chapters still have redeeming qualities. Overall deserves its status.
>>
>>7418427
>>7418455
The structure isn't the point. It doesn't fucking matter you plebs.
>>
joyce isn't buried in ireland. to say that you have to sift through 'boring soapy' shit to enjoy the good bits thus making it a bad novel is a joke no? seriously, there is nothing from the last 100 or so years to match this- and people honestly come to this board with the arrogance to say infinite jest is the ultimate work of a genius
>>
Sounds good, You've inspired me to read it now.

I read Dubliners but it was, for the most part, pretty dull. I'll first read Portrait of an Artist then Ulysses.
>>
>>7418500
The subtler the bait, the tastier. There are echoes of Ulysses in Infinite Jest, which was interesting. Obviously Endless Fun is a painfully hollow book. You can actually knock on the paperback. Doesn't work on Ulysses.
>>
File: 1442869638993.png (91 KB, 720x748) Image search: [Google]
1442869638993.png
91 KB, 720x748
>>7418213
Last 30 pages sucked massive dick, although its a woman's internal monologue and i acknowledge that its inane nature is the point.

The ending is well written but still disappointing in the same way lots of the rest of the book was.

I will retract my statement about it not being worth the read.

its worth the read, and looking over the notes i took again after i calmed down I will say there are more like 350~ pages of gold, the rest is boring, and some is truly shit.

Still fuck SOC

And Joyce, while perhaps deserving his place in terms of history, has not impressed me like the other titans I've read like Dante, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Homer, etc.

Maybe I was expecting too much from the zenith of the modern tradition.

I really did enjoy IJ better, and DESU some of the best parts of Ulysses are the parts that inspired IJ style

CUM @ me lit.

V. then GR coming up next.
>>
>>7418213
>>7418842

stick to Hitchhiker's Guide my good chum
>>
>>7418842
that was one of my favorite parts of the whole book.
>>
>>7418842
>has not impressed me like the other titans I've read like
>Shakespeare
Respectable opinion
>Tolstoy
Fair
>Homer
Fair
>Dante
WHAT THE FUCKING HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?
>>
>>7418874
No shit. It's transcendent genius.
>>
>>7418842
Genius fisherman. Really, I like you a lot. I'd sit next to you in class.
>>
>>7418882
This "Dante is bad" meme has to stop. Some people might start believing it.
>>
>>7418480
Noting mattres
>>
>>7418903
samefrog
>>
>>7418913
Bad mattresses matter.
>>
>>7418213
Stuff like Oxen of the Sun is objectively shit and pretentious and try-hard.

Chapters like Nausica are amazing.
>>
File: Beach in Yellow and Blue, 1963.jpg (553 KB, 1984x960) Image search: [Google]
Beach in Yellow and Blue, 1963.jpg
553 KB, 1984x960
>>7418935
Nahh. Why call the baitman a baitman if I was the baitman? TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
>>
>>7418957
>using those names
You're not a pleb, but you ARE a loser faggot & immensely boring. At least you sorta read the book. Still made me cringe.
>>
>>7418958
because you were baitman
>>
File: 56.jpg (52 KB, 581x593) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
52 KB, 581x593
>>7418955
>>
>>7418963
I forget a lot of the chapter titles but I took a course on Ulysses.

The stupid Oxen of the sun "let's write in every english dialect before we get outta dis hospital!" was quite bad.

Why don't you like the chapter titles? Joyce LITERALLY leaked two spark note cheat sheets to his friends so that people could realize how genius he was. Be mad at Joyce, not I.
>>
>>7418988
>literally working through the entire development of English language in one chapter
>bad

did you miss the part of "what Modernism is"
>>
>>7419002
It's shit and Zizek and Borges agree with me.
>>
>>7419002
Samuel Johnson also thought puns were the cancer of literature.

You mad Finnegans Wake is trash as well?
>>
File: 1448576610423.jpg (90 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1448576610423.jpg
90 KB, 720x544
>>7419034
>You mad Finnegans Wake is trash as well?
Nice meme.
>>
>>7419047
Just a shit load of references better conveyed in spark note form.

As you proved.
>>
>>7419029
Behold the clown!

>>7419034
Yeah, Joyce was stupid and did for all the pussy and money. Not that it was any good. Justin Beibo anyone? LOL RIGHT?
>>
>>7418213
Usyless...
Literalmente vazura.
>>
>>7418842
>tfw my Pepe gets reposted
>>
>>7418882
>disliking Dante

FUCKING ANGLOS I SWEAR TO GOD
>>
File: 7168.jpg (82 KB, 587x749) Image search: [Google]
7168.jpg
82 KB, 587x749
>>7419343
>this pleb wants to rag on Papa Joyce
>can't even speak a second language

it's basura, you dolt
>>
>>7418213
>>7418427
>>7418842

These kinds of shitposts are the reason I even come to /lit/, because they inflate my ego and make me feel better about myself.

Thanks, anons
>>
should i read it?? its on my shelf.
>>
>>7419458
yes. it's highly rewarding
>>
ill start it tomorrow
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.