[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I get the same enjoyment from reading a PDF as I do from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: fiq245.png (182 KB, 431x228) Image search: [Google]
fiq245.png
182 KB, 431x228
>>
probably not

there's an exclusively sensual pleasure to reading a book-book that you can't replicate on a screen. the rigidity of the pages, the smell of the decade it was published in, the texture of the covers, etc, etc.

but whether these things matter much is a different topic. they do exist tho.
>>
>>7415843
Autism, folks
>>
>>7415844
rude
>>
>>7415844
Calling autism is the new autism, son.
>>
>>7415831
yes u can

the things that >>7415843 talks about are a preference, u dont need them to enjoy the actual content of what ur reading
>>
Yeah sure. I've read several books online and enjoyed them immensely (however, I still prefer reading from a physical copy).
>>
>>7415831
Sure. You're still getting the same prose, the same diction, the same story. The only downside to a pdf is if you have a headache and can't stand to sit in front of a screen or if the document is compressed in a certain way that makes the text unreadable.
>>
>>7415831
If you're a piece of shit and don't like turning pages.
>>
Getting used to reading on a tablet has ruined actual books for me.
Having to hold it open, not being able to look up words automatically, the paper on my very sensitive hands. It's very nice to just be able to hold a smooth rectangle.
One of the best things is being able to search in the book if I've forgotten a character, or an event that is being referred to. That alone makes reading large books something I likely won't even try if it isn't digital.
>>
>>7415982
turning into a beach read reading casul: the tale
>>
>>7415982
>the paper on my very sensitive hands

You better be a girl or a trap, otherwise, get off my board.
>>
>>7415982
>to hold a smooth rectangle
it's not a dildo
>>
>>7415831
Heres a crazy idea,
why dont you purchase a book and donwload a pdf and make up your own god dman mind you lazy piece of shit.
Then make a thread about something you can actually talk about.
>>
>>7415982
That's genuinely a little sad
>>
>>7415982
>the paper on my very sensitive hands
Why don't you jerk me off with those sensitive hands you fucking queer!
>>
>>7415831
Studies on Norwegian primary school pupils (I think) have shown that reading e-books garners less basic reading comprehension, so probably not
>>
It can be more pleasurable, depending on the quality of the book

for instance if the book has really small fucking letters, or faded, or the paper quality is shit, then pdfs can be less of a hassle

just get an ebook reader bro
>>
I just listen to audio books.
>>
>>7415831
Idk op, can you?
>>
>>7415843
the only thing that is autistic about that is book sniffing. cause really, there could be mold or airborne things. i hear ya, it gives the book character, but i dont like it if it smells like a old lady's mothballs or cigarettes and there could be airborne agents that fuck up your lungs. so ya tldr, i wouldnt go around sniffing books, particularly used books
>>
>>7417949
I sniff books all the time. I- probably should stop doing that in stores...
>>
>>7418525
i hears ya it gives the book character but listen
>>
>>7415982
What kind of tablet do you have? I was considering picking up an e-reader or something come boxing day.
>>
>>7415831
>>7415843
>>7415853
>>7415982
I'd say it depend if you like to read or you like reading books. I like the colour of old pages, the sensations of the book, and others things like that but since I am a reading lover this has nothing to do with it. I read on a e-reader, on a wall, on the street, on my desk, on your forehead, I really don't mind the support as long as the content is enjoyable.

>>7415891
Try epub and an e-reader, far better than a PDF and a normal screen.
>>
I used to read on my computer and it sucked. Using an ereader now and it sacrifices a few things for valuable pros.
I have a copy of IQ84 but it's over 1000pgs so it's not convenient in any context, so I just read it on my ereader.
Or if I'm reading something difficult I can look up most words I don't know almost instantaneously.
Also I can adjust the print size and font to my liking for all books, never have to squint or press the book to my face.
Overall I think it sacrifices comfy for convenience and it's up to you whether you like it or not.
>>
>>7415844
It's actually been proven ppl absorb greater knowledge of books than screens. Why are you surprised?
With that said if you own an e reader you're basically an abomination
>>
>>7415844
The pdf reader has been spotted.
>>
What about Kindle should I get one ?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.