[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thank you /lit/ for tricking me into buying this fucking shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
Thank you /lit/ for tricking me into buying this fucking shit.

-Screen almost brown and dark as shit if i dont use the light
-4 huge light leaks in the bottom because of a terrible design

Why the fuck do you guys use and like this shit.
>>
Because I'm paid to post nice things about them
>>
>>7415535
should've done your research and gotten a nook or kobo

try to get a refund
>>
>>7415552
So am i, bu i only endorse good products, this is legitimaly shit
>>
File: IMG_4482.jpg (435 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4482.jpg
435 KB, 1200x1600
It's a good product to me when it comes to reading experience. My main complaint just comes from it's terrible organizing interface and the inability to have custom screensavers.
>>
>>7415862
Kindle books have "pages" or is the progress of the book just shown by percentages?
>>
I'm digging my new Kindle Voyage. Huge improvement on the Kindle Keyboard, thanks to the whiter background - and the dynamic light adjustment is very convenient. So yeh, I dig it. Dunno what you refer to with regard to light leakage.
>>
Question to fellow kindle users - do you prefer full justification, or ragged right? In terms of how comfortable it is to read. Or don't give a shit? Some of the mobi files I downloaded look like shit in terms of formatting.
>>
>>7415884
Kindles lack pages because the text is resizable. It relies on "Loc" seen on the bottom left. It's similar to pages but based on line of text.
>>
>>7415917
thank you anon,
>>
>>7415917
>>7415901
Fake, it has pages, you just have to tap in the percentage and it's done.
>>
>>7416112
But the pages are still not based in the screens, you can set the font too big and you will be stuck in a page during several screens.

>>7415862
You actually can if you jailbreak it, but the jailbreak for PW3 was delayed undefinitely, and the only possible method right now is via serial ports and soldering.

You can't even set your own screensaver normally, shit's ridiculous. How that feature isn't even standard, just as setting the book cover as screensaver or setting covers for collections blows my mind.
>>
>>7416130
We saw similar limitations with Apple for a long time. Hopefully Amazon will get over it. Otherwise, my next device will be a Kobo.

>>7415535
Don't get me wrong, though I only have gripes about the library, the device itself is great for reading. That's virtually where I spend 95% of my time. If you're using the kindle for primarily organizing your library, you're doing it wrong.

If I were to change the device, I would allow more support for other ebook types, I would allow screen savers, make the UI hackable so that the community could put together better library interfaces if they wanted, and allow a community run x-ray for non-kindle books to be uploaded. I think it's crap that a lot of books which are easily craftable to have x-ray by avid fans or students doesn't exist yet.

Inspite of everything, I find it so damned pleasant to read on, that I now use it as the bulk of my library. I've sold virtually all of my books that I could get an ebook replacement for (novels and some technical books), then expanded it through downloading Gutenberg and other means.

Really, digital books are the future in many cases (paper textbooks may never be truly obsolete), and I'm finding audiobooks coupled with podcasts truly enlightening. If you read all of these posts by fringe cases, anon, and think ebooks are just snake oil, you're wrong.

Truly, I think it is best if people get one and load it with books as guided by our sticky's suggestion, then use it when they're on the go or in bed with their SO

>in b4 "suggesting anon has SO"
>>
File: 1435037442650.png (128 KB, 414x225) Image search: [Google]
1435037442650.png
128 KB, 414x225
>>7416272
>Apple
>SO
fucking normalfag

Now, do Apple even prevent jailbreaking anymore?

Seems like Amazon only wants to get in the way of freedom and they have been doing the same long before they even introduced their jaiblreak prevention bullshit.
>>
>>7416282
I don't know. I stopped following what they were doing after the 3rd gen. I honestly dislike them immensely.

Also, I think you're right about Amazon. While they do offer great services, I believe it is undeniable that they have really screwed us over. Nonetheless, does Kobo allow arbitrary code to be installed by the user? If so, that would be a huge selling point to me. Even still, I still swear by at least the experience of an e-ink device (PW2 is what I own and it is great for me)
>>
I have a Kobo Aura and it serves me well, it's slow as shit sometimes though
>>
i have a kindle (the cheapest one) and i'm happy with it. it's great to know i don't have to buy every book i want to read cause i'm poor af and now i download them for free from the internet
>>
Is e-ink affected by temperature? when its cold out my Kindle seems really sluggish, but if it's warm it'll do everything really quickly
>>
>>7416440
Technically I believe circuits run better at colder temperatures. I wonder why it would work slower...
>>
>>7416993
>Technically I believe circuits run better at colder temperatures
That's just because any delays meant to prevent overheating are lifted.

>>7416440
Speed varies for me too but it doesn't seem to do it on the basis of temperature.
>>
>>7416272
I cant imagine using something other than a regular file system and calibre to manage my library.

Also, reading OPs post very closely, I have no idea what he is talking about, having had a kindle for years and years now. My great annoyance is amazons seeming inability/lack of caring that goes into their refusal to support better PDF experiences. Those margins!
>>
>>7416282
>>7416290
>purchase on sale for like 50 dollars
>pirate 1000s of ebooks
>amazon doesnt care or set any restrictions on what books I import
>their drm on library books is easily removed with a file utility
>but muh screensaver! muh freedom! muh shills!

Shut the fuck up, you both sound like idiots.
>>
>-Screen almost brown and dark as shit if i dont use the light
>-4 huge light leaks in the bottom because of a terrible design
Are your.. are your eyes broken?
>>
>>7417042
>amazon doesnt care or set any restrictions on what books I import
If it could get away with doing that, it would. Your ignorance is on show.
>>
I have Duokan on mine it works fine. The good thing with e-readers as that I can actually read what I want without spending money, which blows all other cons out of the water. It's also great for travel.

besides you can find second hand model for less than 60 dollarydoos.
>>
File: Viy9deGlfc.png (1 MB, 920x1417) Image search: [Google]
Viy9deGlfc.png
1 MB, 920x1417
>>7417044
>Are your.. are your eyes broken?
>>
>>7417042
Just because DRM is easily by passible does not make it dismissible that it is present. It's important to respect the user base, especially if any precautions are only hindrances without truly benefiting the content producers (writers) or the consumers (us).
>>
File: MagrittePipe.jpg (34 KB, 378x264) Image search: [Google]
MagrittePipe.jpg
34 KB, 378x264
>>7415535
Bookerly master race reporting in.
>>
>buy ebook reader
>battery fails
>cost to ship battery costs more than the device
>go back to reading on my lowend tablet

oh well
>>
>>7415862
I have a kindle touch, put in duokan (just copy and paste in main director y) reboot and you have duokan installed. It has a screensaves folder where you put your images and they randomly appear when you shut it off (unless there is only one)
>>
>>7417194
Does this duokan also work for kindle 5?
>>
>>7416290
>Steam
Enjoy your proprietary botnet, my friend.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.