[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would I need to read beforehand to get this book? >inb4 SWTG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: UlyssesCover.jpg (20 KB, 374x478) Image search: [Google]
UlyssesCover.jpg
20 KB, 374x478
What would I need to read beforehand to get this book?
>inb4 SWTG
>>
>>7414652
The Iliad and The Odyssey, Shakespeare, Dubliners, Portrait
>>
>>7414652
Either read Dubliners then A Portait Of The Artist first, or JUST skip to Ulysses and make sure you have a copy of The New Bloomsday Book
>>
>reading Ulysses

You don't
>>
>>7414652
Just fire straight in mate, no sweat, s'a grand read so tis.
>>
I read it a couple of weeks ago having read Iliad, Odyssey and Hamlet.

I am not a seasoned reader and got by OK.
>>
The Western Canon
>>
>>7414652
His other works. That's it.

Aside from muh references its still captivating taken on face value, the references arent as massively important as everyone makes out.

Plus
>multiple readings
>>
>>7414659
>shakesepeare
So everything by Shakespeare?
>>
Get a couple of books to complement the writing. Had about 3 pdf's which i consulted after each chapter. Joyce also made a chart with the colour, the part of the body and style each chapter relates to, which is also important
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>7414729

Hamlet should cover about 90% of the references, the other are helpful but not necessary.
>>
>>7414729
You could read everything he wrote in a month
>>
can i read ulysses if my only prereq is high level reading comprehension?
>>
does the Everyman's Library edition that's still in print use the 1960 Bodley Head text or the 1961 Modern Library text?
>>
>>7414652
The directions on your bottle of Ibuprofen.
>>
>>7414925
Yes, just read it. You're not going to understand all of it regardless of how well read you are.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.