[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BOOKS TO LEARN ENGLISH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: read.gif (7 KB, 664x534) Image search: [Google]
read.gif
7 KB, 664x534
Hey guys, what are some good books to start reading in english? I have some Agatha Christie, Patrick O'Brian, Hemingway, Tolkien...
>>
christie and hemingway are good for learning

some basic stuff lke harry potter might be a good idea
>>
>>7413954
Gibbons Decline and Fall is probably the highest, most noble English I have ever read. Hume is up there too. For high vernacular, Faulkner and Nabakov
>>
which languages do you know?
>>
>>7413982
Spanish (from Spain), some Romanian, and a bit of french.
>>
test
>>
>>7413954
Just sit on the internet all day and especially 4chan. Post memes and learn from other people's memes.
>>
File: 14146859867230.jpg (14 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
14146859867230.jpg
14 KB, 318x318
>>7414117
yes and then your analytical thinking will vapor out and you will have difficulties with concentrating
>>
>>7413954
all of them

>reading translations
>>
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Good book, and since you know Spanish already you would probably have a handle on a lot of the word play used since they use a lot of Spanish phrases and stuff throughout the novel.
>>
>>7414391
No, no. I mean that I own some books in the original english of these authors.

>Agatha Christie - Miss Marple Stories
>Ernest Hemingway - Short Stories
>Patrick O'Brian - The Far Side Of The World
>J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit

All from The Folio Society.

>>7413968
>>7414415
Thanks guys!
>>
>>7414415
Don't read this OP. Diaz will teach you improper English and encourage bad language learning habits. Additionally, it is a very boring book and you probably won't be entertained by it
>>
>>7414649
This. Stay away from hispanic-american novelists.
>>
I'm going to read The Picture of Dorian Gray, Lolita, Catcher in the rye, Stoner in English.

I've been able to read books like Harry Potter, Treasure Island, some Pratchett etc. without problems.

Is vocabulary or style of any of these books too difficult to understand for non native reader?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.