[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Le quirky satire man XD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: 360_vonnegut_kurt0412.jpg (9 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
360_vonnegut_kurt0412.jpg
9 KB, 360x235
>Le quirky satire man XD
>>
>>7412478
vonnegut fucking sucks
>>
>>7412478
>>7412809
what controversial and unique opinions!
>>
vonnegut fucking is pretty good
>>
Tired of this shitty website. Vonnegut is pretty funny. Now why don't you go on about how much you love reading and how your favorite books are Infinite Jest and Blood Meridian and how much you love Thomas Pynchon even though you've only read Inherent Vice
>>
My sides were in orbit reading Sirens of Titan.
>>
Shitting on Vonnegut is like riding a bicycle as an adult and shitting on kids who ride those big wheel tricycles. There's nothing wrong with being on a lower level, everyone starts there.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (14 KB, 257x257) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
14 KB, 257x257
>>7412888
>Vonnegut
>lower level
>>
>>7412879
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOLY SHIT MAN I CANT STOP LAUGHIMG

SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE IS SOOO FUCKING FUNNY

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

GOD DAMN YOU WERE RIGHT ANON!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
I swear, you people wouldn't be shitting on him if he weren't popular.
>>
>>7412902
/thread
>>
I fell in love with this man reading that one essay from 'Welcome to the Monkey House', where he's basically just telling the world how excited he is to have a new dictionary. His work is good-ish, not the pinnacle or anything, but I just like his personality and general outlook on things.
>>
File: tattoo vonnegut.jpg (750 KB, 1275x1944) Image search: [Google]
tattoo vonnegut.jpg
750 KB, 1275x1944
>>7412478
He is amazing to read when you're around 16-20. Less so after that.
>>
>>7412879
All of those authors are awful, but Vonnegut is by far the worst.
>>
>>7412914
So, basically, reading him is a good way to meet cute tatrooed women?
>>
>>7412914
SH5 always seems mediocre and pretentious on the first read. When you think about all the plot threads and issues running through it, they're purposes all fall into place and you suddenly realize how structurally and thematically brilliant it is, on several fronts.
>>
>>7412931
No they are not all awful. Seek help, you have here too long.
>>
ITT: Try-hard contrarianism
>>
>>7412933
It's not like they want to associate with you anyway.

Might as well read something good.
>>
I'm glad to see this turned into a pro-vonnegut thread. He's not a great writer and a lot of his fans are total cunts but I like what I've read.

Just got done with Player Piano. I thought it could have been shorter but I loved the commentary on human's inmate self destructiveness and the implication that having another industrial revolution before capitalism is eradicated will lead to a sort of Neo-Feudalism was interesting. Also those scenes with the Shah were gr8 and it pretty much generally btfo STEMfags
>>
>not a great writer
He's not overly poetic or anything, but at least his prose is engaging enough. Early Asimov's writing was flat as hell but it was still interesting.
>>
>>7412894
you acting like a psycho has changed my opinion about everything, please send me your bank information so I can transfer all my wealth to you and your loved ones
>>
>>7413088
No because you're poor lmao
>>
File: dQd.jpg (47 KB, 321x386) Image search: [Google]
dQd.jpg
47 KB, 321x386
>>
>>7413095
Yeah that's Vonnegut readers in a nut shell

They get PISSED if you say you don't like him

Probably because they are all emotionally immature just as he is
>>
>>7413099
k

are you done

now think about what you said ij the corner
>>
>>7413102
Too bad there's no down vote here huh champ?

So it goes
>>
>>7413095
that kid's getting perpetually checked LOL
>>
>>7413104
i'm not even a fna you just sound stupid, i'm largely indiffeent to the author. Yet you clearly aren't... what a good sport you are for us. CHAMP.

as it's always been, and shall for ever be
>>
>>7413121
>vonnegut defenders everyone
>>
>>7412478
More like le shitty pleb man
>>
>>7412478
I don't understand why this board doesn't like him.
I can't ever remember seeing anyone give an actual reason.

I personally really enjoy his stuff. He's entertaining. Isn't that kind of the point?
>>
File: ad_172937021 (1).jpg (70 KB, 727x1000) Image search: [Google]
ad_172937021 (1).jpg
70 KB, 727x1000
>>7413199
he's an SJW and /lit/ skews empathy-hostile.
>>
>>7413166
,more like basher bashers ya know what im saying senpai desu
>>
>>7413184
le patrician face xd
>>
>>7412478
breakfast of champions is one of the worst books i've ever read. sh5 and cat's cradle are decent i guess
>>
>>7413289
>SJW
leave
>>
>>7412914
people haven't actually got that tattooed that
please no

I fucking hate tattoo culture.
>>
>>7413312
sjw is a shorthand way for aspies to empathy bash. i am xplaining why /lit/ doesnt like him, because these threads often attract the 'Hitler literally did nothing wrong' crowd.
actually a lot of /lit/ does like him. I read 90% of his books in my 20's.
but since you asked me to leave, i will get right on out of here, anon, I didnt realize you had so much authority in this thread.
p.s. im not really leaving
>>
>>7413318
>xplaining
I will second the notion that you should leave.

Your conception that he is an 'SJW' is also pure bullshit; where did you even draw that from? /lit/ hates him because, as the OP suggests, he is characterized by reddit-tier surrealism and masquerades triteness as novel insight.

>actually a lot of /lit/ does like him
If they do, they sure don't mention it
>>
Vonnegut is entry level. Some people are going to going to bash him because he reminds them of how naive they were when they first started reading. Coupled with his simple prose, his cheeky humor, and humanistic message, it makes him an easy target for derision.

Ignore these threads. They are festering cancer for an actual productive board.
>>
>>7413199
His style annoyed me, his characters were dull and empty, his jokes would have been funny 5 years ago, his plot is uninspired, the attempts at quasi philosophy were just dumb.
Only read cat's cradle.
>>
>>7412933
>cute tattooed women
you mean superficial, vapid whores? Also a big fat lol to you assuming those tumblr plain Jane's and landwhales are cute
>>
>>7412933
>>7412933
>cute tattooed women
you mean superficial, vapid whores? Also a big fat lol to you assuming those tumblr plain Jane's and landwhales are cute
>>
>>7413421
Tbh most alternative type girls here are cute.
Annoying and shallow, sure, but I wouldn't mind fucking one.
>>
>>7412478

I like Vonnegut. I read him in my adolescence. That's the magical time to read Vonnegut. The only author I've read who writes for people in the Young Adult stage of life with any modicum of literary value.

I understand why so many people dislike him. Much of his fanbase is insufferable too.
>>
>>7413419
>superficial, vapid whores

Basically 95% of the bitches that we are going to hook up with in our lifetime.
There is no avoiding this kind of whores.

>>7413433
Basic bitch Gets 1 tiny fucking tattoo =/= alternate.

>I wouldn't mind fucking one.

and we know why.
>>
>>7413411
This and
>>7413438 this.

His fanbase makes it worse
>>
>>7413433
>Tbh most alternative type girls here are cute.
>there are girls here
>and they are cute
HaHa.
>>
>>7413411
I wasn't reading literary Reddit like Vonnegut when I started reading.
>>
>>7413121
Are you high?
>>
>>7413438
>Much of his fanbase is insufferable too.
Harlan Ellison's fanbase is even worse than that.
>>
File: 483635303.jpg (100 KB, 478x358) Image search: [Google]
483635303.jpg
100 KB, 478x358
>>7413411
>an actual productive board.
>>
>>7412914
>nothing about the lucky pony
2/10
>>
>>7413369
I love how he didn't have a response to this
>>
>entry level

haha, you guys are so young and ambitious. it's cute.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.