[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Plato
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1432422344278.jpg (288 KB, 714x997) Image search: [Google]
1432422344278.jpg
288 KB, 714x997
How did Plato use the immortality of the soul in order to ground scientific knowledge?

In your answer, you can relate among other things to Plato's Theory of Ideas, the divided line allegory and any other aspect of his philosophy that you consider relevant to this question.
>>
>>7410136
should have started with the greeks
>>
this isn't the homework board
>>>/hm/
>>
>>7410160
i dont think that is either anon
>>
>>7410160
Hey that's not a homework board either!
>>
>expecting /lit/ to have anything insightful to say about actual philosophy
not surprising losers here would assume any real philosophical discussion is just someone's homework
>>
What do you mean by 'ground scientific knowledge'? I can't join the (hopefully good) discussion as I have things to read, but a little more specifity would be nice for other anons. Also, what do you mean by 'scientific'? Keep in mind the scientific method was created much later than Plato.

>>7410180
Unfortunately those of us that do read are currently reading.
>>
>>7410199
>Unfortunately those of us that do read are currently reading.

So when do you find time to go on lit?
>>
>>7410219
After a long session of contemplating the divine forms
>>
>>7410199
Scientific as in scientific from Plato's prospective.
Plato's ideas on cosmology and the elements and the essence of things, among other pseudo scientific platonian attempts at describing the world.
>>
>not starting with the greeks
>>
>>7410180
Because the tone and subject matter of >>7410136 looks suspiciously like first yr homework desu senpai
>>
>>7410433
answer it and prove how basic first year tier the question is
>>
>>7410136
Plato's theory of forms was steeped in the Pythagorean school of mathematics, that "all is number"; crucially, the contextual geometrical revolution of the Pythagoreans (they were literally a number cult and may have killed a "heretic" who discovered irrational numbers), and his split from materialism to an idealist plane of thought, paved the way for numerous mathematicians throughout the Western cannon to effectively coin some of the most basic and important Scientific concepts: Leibnitz theory of monads for instance, is proto-atomism.

I have a whole essay on this, which I wrote for my Pre-U exam (got a D1 though), if anyone is interested in the scribblings of a dyslexic retard.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.