[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to become an author if you only have a College
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1448830632536.jpg (339 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448830632536.jpg
339 KB, 1600x1200
Is it possible to become an author if you only have a College Education?
>>
of fiction? yes

of non-fiction? yes

of anything academic or technical, beyond the pop understanding of the field? unlikely
>>
>>7407600
I make six figures and I dropped out of university. So did Bill Gates. You can do anything if you care enough; if you can find an endless supply of motivation, you'll succeed regardless. Usually this only happens when you find your "true calling". For me, that's writing code. I can never imagine a time when I won't be writing code. I've been doing it for 20 years.
>>
Unless it's textbooks and medical journals of course.
>>
Can you become an author if you flunked out od college?
>>
>>7407609
You can get a good knowledge of a field or topic without enrolling in university, of course, you'd have to study independently to a uni level.
>>
>>7407600
Who is this well shaven safe haven? :o
>>
>>7407600
2bh Humanities education is a fucking joke and creative writing education in particular is a cruelly unfunny one. Most humanities/arts students who actually get their dollar's worth outta their schooling do it mostly through autodidactism - the formal education itself just provides you with a loose structure to keep you focused (no one really cares whether you git gud at an art so it's disturbingly easy to get off track) and a set of likeminded professors/students to provide contrasting viewpoints. So as long as you can access the same books and can stay focused, the only thing you're missing is the community.
>>
>>7407938
>2bh Humanities education is a fucking joke
Not really, no. For what purpose are you posting on this board if you think it is? Aside from that, you evidently hold literature in general in low regard if you do not respect the products of the students of those faculties.

It would be preferable if most people remained silent.
Read books and then die.
>>
>>7407957
I think you misunderstood what that poster was saying. They're not saying humanities are worthless, they're saying the education you receive from being educated formally in the humanities is poor.
>>
>>7407600
You don't even need a college education.

The key is to have a job that lets you survive WHILE writing. You need something to subsist because expecting to support yourself on writing is hopelessly idealistic.

Other than that you just need to read a fuck-ton, write a fuck-ton and maybe look up so online lectures and stuff on it. Go to live performances of poetry and stuff like that.
>>
>>7408003
I agree it is not necessary to attend a course of that nature,
but I would be cautious about criticising something one may not fully understand.
>>
Its all about the connections senpai
>>
>>7407900

Troublesome detective homewrecker
>>
>>7409243
>Alexandra-Daddario
Shit I forgot she was in the Percy Jackson movies. Thanks family.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.