[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My dad recommended I read this since I binged on Dostoevksy not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
My dad recommended I read this since I binged on Dostoevksy not too long ago.

Is it worth it? What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>7400045

Tell us about your Dostoyevsky binge, anon.
>>
Do you actually value strangers opinions on a korean webcomic clipboard more than your own father's recommendation? You're a terrible son if you don't read it to be honest.
>>
>>7400066
Read most of his short stories (except for I think 4?), then I read Crime and Punishment and Notes from the Underground. Not all, but I very much enjoyed him, especially his short works.
>>
>>7400045
tfw no family members who even read
>>
>>7400045
It's real neat, although I never read the later volumes. Thoroughly goes into the actual day to day life of a scummer, gets across how people got some kind of satisfaction despite deprivation and cultural waste. Just an excellent informative book about that society.
>>
While Dostoevsky deals with aristocratic drama, Gorky writes about the average Russian working class family. Definitely check it out. It'll provide you with a nice contrast between romantic and realist Russian lit.
>>
>>7400106

He wrote some very good (and usually overlooked) short stories. My favorite is 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'; I also like 'Bobok' and 'The Crocodile'. A couple other really good novellas (better than Notes imho) are The Double, The Gambler, and Notes from the House of the Dead.
>>
>>7400126
>Dostoevsky deals with aristocratic drama
Not really; that's Tolstoy's domain. Occasionally Dostoyevsky'll touch on petty bourgeoisie, in a comic vein, but he was from beginning to end concerned mainly with the lower classes. The Underground Man? Raskolnikov? The gang in Demons? Myshkin? Fyodor K. and sons? There's a reason for the mutual admiration between him and Dickens.
>>
>>7400126
Your post reminded me of everything that I hate about literature as a collective subject rather than a solitary pastime.
>Dostoevsky deals with aristocratic drama
Why the fuck do you even bother to post this shitty, reductionist, down-right mistaken and retarded simplification of a great writer? On a literature board where everyone is supposed to be well-read?

Fuck, you people make me mad as hell and make me want to burn all centres for the humanities to the ground.
>>
>>7400271
>The gang in Demons? Myshkin? Fyodor K. and sons?

But those were all aristocrats and bourgeoisie or at least newly rich. Did you even read the books m8?

It's true that Dosto wrote about a lot of poor characters, like Dickens, but neither of these authors had any actual life experience with the working class (except for Dosto's time in Siberia, but he was still treated as an "aristocratic prisoner" there) and their depictions suffered for it. This is why I think it's important to read Gorky. He was an actual poor everyday Russian from a poor everyday Russian family and his writings are the real deal.
>>
>>7400045
It's one of the best autobiographies I've ever read. Gorky manages to find so much beauty amongst the inhuman suffering.

>tfw the alchemist lodger gets kicked out
I cried
>>
>>7400297
Calm down, nigger. I like me some Dosto too, I just wanted to point out the most obvious contrast between him and Gorky.
>>
>>7400313
You can't possibly liken the behavior of these characters to what goes on in AK or W&P
Oh but
>neither Dostoyevsky nor Dickens had any actual life experience with the working class
haha you had me going there time to fish this silly hook out of my cheek
>>
Also I agree with anon >>7400313

If we take the theme of suffering, for Dostoevsky it's of the intellectualised, existential type, the preserve of people who have the luxury of thought. The suffering found throughout Gorky's My Childhood is of an earthy, material deprivation borne by people with an unthinking, childlike, totemistic peace in faith.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.