[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /lit/ any good cyber monday/cyber weekend deals for books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_lett8vbLSt1qg9i9zo1_500.jpg (34 KB, 452x608) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lett8vbLSt1qg9i9zo1_500.jpg
34 KB, 452x608
hey /lit/

any good cyber monday/cyber weekend deals for books?
>>
I've been looking myself, haven't found anything spectacular so far
>>
>>7399802
That's a pretty awesome cover. What edition is that? I'm guessing it's The Castle.
>>
>>7399802
why does he lift the book to show the cover when a picture is being taken of him
>>
>>7400117
It's like flashing a gang sign
>>
File: Fred-Tomaselli-Geode_2.jpg (98 KB, 553x550) Image search: [Google]
Fred-Tomaselli-Geode_2.jpg
98 KB, 553x550
He's stuck in a Kafkaesque nightmare of trying to be intelligent enough to make sense of his surroundings... It's not working though so he holds up the book as a symbol for that which he chases in the hope that his virtue will be taken over his ability.
>>
>>7399802
>>7399802
You might say that picture is very Kafkaesque.
>>
Is that Josh Franco? He's dreamy.
>>
>>7400117
Sometimes you just gesture a wave with or without the thing you've got in your hand.
>>
>>7400117
He's using his ipod as a bookmark so he doesn't want it to fall out or get tangled.

My idea anyways, he really doesn't look like he's walking anywhere he expects to have pictures taken, so i doubt he'd hold it up like an autist.

But who knows.
>>
>>7400700
That makes no sense whatsoever.

>>7400117
You have to understand people from Los Angeles aren't like you and me. We have a concept of "real, internal intelligence" vs. "faking the outward appearance of intelligence."
For people from Los Angeles (and to a lesser extent the west coast in general) there is no difference between the form and the substance of intelligence. Intelligence isn't something you have within you that can be seen through outer symptoms, intelligence is simply those behaviors associated with intelligence, and the question "is James Franco smart or is he just acting smart?" would make no sense to them on a conceptual level.
"Smart" is like "bowling." It is simply something a person may do, and the idea of "faking" it is invalid- how would you fake bowling? You roll the ball but you're not TRULY bowling on the inside?

I heard people saying this and assumed it was just a bullshit stereotype. Then I met a lot of people from LA and I realized it's actually truly a cultural difference.
>>
File: anonymous-ftp.jpg (148 KB, 951x538) Image search: [Google]
anonymous-ftp.jpg
148 KB, 951x538
>>7399802
>unironically supporting obvious kkkaptitalist instruments of control
>>
>>7400774
I forgot to get to the point.

Anyway, because of this they are absolutely unworried about appearing pretentious; of course, because the concept of "pretentious" is a weird foreign taboo they don't have internalized.

Have you ever been out reading something you're proud of and you think "man I hope someone sees me reading this and gets impressed and talks to me?" Of course. I think that all the time, but I would be ashamed to be seen as posing, so I don't try to draw attention to myself. (Or at least, I'm a bit coy about it.)

James Franco has no such worries. In his culture he is being smart by carrying a book. He is proud of this, and holds the book up for all to see.

I feel at this point you might need to be reminded: this is not a joke or an exaggeration. I'm not being facetious. No, Californians aren't some inhuman race of husk-people, but yes, this is an actual cultural difference on display here. It's literally true.
>>
>>7400827
this sounds awful.

"HOLIDAY30" for 30% off a book on Amazon. up to $10
>>
>>7400827
...That's me.

Holy shit I'm pretentious.
>>
>>7400774
>>7400827

Person born and raised in LA here. This is 110% true. At least I venomously reject the poser culture.
>>
>>7399802

You Cyber Monday for vidya and electronics, not for books. Support your fucking local bookstore, ya cunts.
>>
>>7402156
yeah, but living in fear of coming off as pretentious is pretty retarded too. i dress how i want, listen to the music i like and read wherever and whatever i want and even i, more often than not, think that i'm being a little pretentious douche. but i have been a lot happier since i stopped being an insecure shell of a bland human being and embraced that i like being perceived as the 'smart and well dressed' guy even if that immediately makes some people dislike or even hate me. also i'm aware that this post was pretty narcissistic and pretentious.
>>
>>7400214
>blah bah blah

yes i suck dicks for money
>>
>>7402380
so fucking beta
>>
>>7402388
>living how he wants
>isn't affected by the thoughts of others
>self aware
Tell me how this is beta. At all.
>>
>>7400117
He's a pretentious twat, like all wannabes who put Kafka above Walser, the man he ripped off.

DUDE IM READING KAFKA LMAO

DUDE KAFKA IS UNINTERPRETABLE LMAO

every story is about freud. what did nabokov ever see in him?
>>
>>7402388
this is called projection.

95% of people are to busy/self-centered to really care what you do anyways. i was insecure all the time when i was a teen and it was the worst. i know that this is just a silly platitude but just do it. stop thinking about what other people say or might say behind your back. do what you like and stop being afraid.
>>
Amazon has 30% off every book shipped and sold by Amazon. It's a pretty wide selection. I picked up the Penguin Deluxe Fagles Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid box set for a total of like 28 bucks the other day.
>>
>>7400819
>unironically baiting
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.