[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solid history books /lit/? I really loved pic related. I enjoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: History-of-the-Decline-and-Fa.jpg (22 KB, 288x460) Image search: [Google]
History-of-the-Decline-and-Fa.jpg
22 KB, 288x460
Solid history books /lit/?

I really loved pic related.

I enjoy narratives but open to anything as long as it's engaging.
>>
gonna rec Chicago: A Biography by Dominic Pacyga to all of you. The story of Chicago is the story of the 20th century.
>>
Rubicon

A. Lincoln (from White)
>>
>>7398837
Any recommended reading before this book? It's on my shelf but I haven't read much Roman lit, mostly the Stoics.
>>
>>7398852
Just read a more modern narrative history, and remember Gibbon has his biases.
>>
File: John.jpg (38 KB, 327x499) Image search: [Google]
John.jpg
38 KB, 327x499
Great book would read again
>>
File: 20151128_170235.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151128_170235.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
This was fun
>>
Can someone rec me a good history about the Black Death?
>>
>>7399441
Benedictow, Ole Jorgen (2004). Black Death 1346–1353: The Complete History. ISBN978-1-84383-214-0.
>>
>>7398852
Don't read this if you actually want to learn anything about the Romans, only read it for it's place in the genre of history, or as a work of literature.

Gibbons is just wrong about so many things all over the place, and not just little bits either. There isn't a serious historian today who believes that Christianity was the cause of the fall of the Rome for example.
>>
>>7400146
Thank you. Any recommendations for Roman history?
>>
>>7400146
>Don't read this if you actually want to learn anything about the Romans

That's wrong though. All he is doing is pulling from sources, not making anything up. It's fine not to accept his conclusions but I don't know how you could not learn anything from reading him.
>>
>>7400407
It was an exaggeration to say you won't learn anything about Rome but there are no historians today who take the text seriously for anything. It's just too inaccurate not just in the conclusions he draws but on many smaller points. Just because he uses sources doesn't mean those sources are reliable. Gibbons is the birth of modern history writing, and you can see the infantile growing pains in the work. It has nothing on the accuracy of good modern works of history.

>>7400183
I'm not a very big history buff. Most of my knowledge just comes from having friends who are classics/history majors. It's hardly authoritative but I really like the History of Rome podcast which goes from the my the mythical birth of the city to the fall of the western Roman empire. Also he suggest good history books on audible.
>>
I ordered the Folio Society edition of A History of England 1914-1945 by A.J.P. Taylor.
>>
>communism BTFO: the book
>>
>>7401444
>
>>
The Arabs: A Short History by Philip Hitti
>>
not literature
>>
>>7402323
how is history not literature?
are you nigga dumb or smth?
>>
>>>/his/
>>
The Faithful Executioner: Life and Death, Honor and Shame in the Turbulent Sixteenth Century

>>7402363
/pleb/
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.