[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ i'm having an existential crisis. Everything I wanna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: superthumb.jpg (71 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
71 KB, 300x250
/lit/ i'm having an existential crisis. Everything I wanna do I suck at, and everything i'm good at, its worthless. Should I really study for an English degree? All my friends support me on it because they think i'm some genius but they don't even no the first thing about literature. My family always keep telling me to do something useful but i'm just so jaded with my life and who I am and what the whole point of anything is right now. I've thought about taking a semester off but i'll be wasting my financial aid if I do and I'm really not in the place to do that right now. Any advice /lit/? I've thought about learning another language and get a degree in that but i'm still so lost, I don't even know if I have the knack for another language.
>>
>Should I really study for an English degree?

Not if you want your life to go anywhere. What are you good at?
>>
>>7398263
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>worthless
Sure is spooky in here
>>
>>7398268
I'm only good in the humanities. History, I excelled at but figured a degree in that would be even more useless than an English degree. Every math class I took I was horrid in. No matter how much I applied myself I just couldn't understand it. In science I was mediocre. I did better than I thought I could do but by no means am I capable with a degree in that.
>>
Do you want to become an novel editor? Or writer? or something like that? Editor is not very well paid, but still very good (2-3k per novel)
>>
>>7398263
I dropped out of a good college that gave me a full ride because I had no direction, had mental health problems, and felt like I wasn't learning anything.

The next semester I started studying on my own things I liked and then went to a local college so I could stay at home and get family support.

Now I'm working towards an MD/PhD at the college I dropped out of.

Things work out in the end. Calm down, don't be so anxious, and think things through. Talk to people you trust--actual friends (not acquaintances) your parents, professors you like--and try to envision what you want to do with life.

You don't need that much money to live on.
>>
stop being dependent on outcomes. you should do what you want to do because you WANT TO DO IT. that being said, an english degree won't give you a comfortable lifestyle if you live in an area with a sizeable cost of living.
>>
>>7398294
Honestly, I'm okay with anything BUT teaching in an American school. I've thought of doing peace corps, going into law school, being a novel editor, (daydream about being a writer), but I also realize that networking a big thing in college but I don't know how to do that. Every professor I've ever had seemed completely uninterested in me trying to form some sort of professional relationship/bond so i'm just there wondering if i'm making any of the right choices
>>
>>7398291
Do you like science or are you just considering it for job prospects?

You have the potential to do well in it and understand the more profound concepts, but if you're not fond of the subject material, remember that you're going to engage with it for the rest of your life.
>>
>>7398303
Thanks for the advice senpai. I just really do not wanna wake up one day and realized how bad my life is because of my choices i made when I was barely an adult
>>
>>7398291

Just go with history and go into academia. Get a doctorate, write books.
>>
>>7398315
Well I find some sorts fascinating but every college requires (that I have checked out) you to have at least calculus 3 done and right now i'm in statistics and i'm extremely lost in it. I'm hoping I can get my professor's help on the final project since he seems really laid back but math classes are just too intense for me and since they are required for every science class I doubt it'll be something I can carry on for the next years at my college
>>
>>7398263
>don't even no
Did you do that intentionally?
Right after genius bragging?
Is this meta-irony?
>>
>>7398315
>you can't retrain
>>
>>7398333
Wasn't bragging just saying that I appear to be smart but I'm not as smart as everyone makes it seem. Also online I usually get lazy and just let mistakes like that pass me though.
>>
>>7398263
become NEET master race
>>
>>7398340
Through* haha see.
>>
>>7398294
Literally how do i become an editor.
>>
>>7398328
You can get better at math if you really are interested and want to put in the work.

/sci/'s sticky has good resources if you're serious about training yourself in it.

And of course, some sciences are less math-intensive than others.

>>7398337
You can always grow to like something but people usually have an inexplicable proclivity to one field over another and if it's strong enough, it goes against their abilities. If they have the will, they can get better at something the love but they won't love it as much as they thing their heart was set upon.
>>
>>7398312
I feel for you because I used to chase after networking myself. So here is the thing. Networking is a big thing not only in college, but in life general. But what is the point of forming relationship/network with people who are not interested in you? What is the point of cramming yourself into the can of indifferent people of “Hi”, “How are you?”, “I’m fine, thank you.” Do you want that kind of networking? Find people who are interested in things that you are interested in, gradually you will have a network.

But, my friend, may I ask this question: What do you want for yourself? I know this is a hard question. Many have spent their entire life to answer it, still they fail to. Other try to ignore it, but still in the end it comes to them like a curse.
>>
>>7398333
Trip threes
Three questions in post
Half life 3 confirmed
>>
>>7398333

Post meta-irony to be honest
>>
>>7398364
Reddit stahp.
>>
>>7398345
You can either work for a publisher or provide the service yourself.

Working for a publisher is easier since it is simply applying for a job.

Providing the service yourself is hard, not as stable, involves more risk but more (not really) rewarding. Independent editor is just like writer or saleman. You have do everything yourself. If you are already a big-ass famous editor, writers will chase after you with suitcase of cash to shove into your ass. But if you are still a just-graduate editor, chances are you are not going to have any big clients (or no one at all), and chances are you’ll have to spend quite a lot of time, blood and tear to build up your reputation. Write blog, review novels, provide free work for potential clients. It would be nice to have your name on the next best selling novel of some indie writer, isn’t it. So hunt for them.
>>
>>7398356
yes that's what i'm trying to figure out. I really don't know what I want. I wish i explored more options as a teenager instead of brushing things off because now I wish I did explore into certain things but now I don't have anytime and I feel like I have a deadline on what I plan on doing with my life.
>>
>>7398374
So what sort of chops should one have applying for that position? I was a writing fellow at my college for a couple years, but have not much else professional wise to show.
>>
>>7398423
I know as much as you. I'm a writer, not an editor.
>>
>>7398389
What is the deadline? What would happen after the deadline? Can you describe the undesirable outcome?
>>
>>7398323
>implying it's that easy
Given the current academic job market you might as well say 'study physics and be an astronaut'.
>>
>>7398263
Option 1: study something like sociology and take modules in statistics or economics so you have some employability skillz to fall back on.

Option 2: study whatever you like/are good at, but make sure to do internships, volunteering, whatever other career-friendly activities you can along the way. I think employers care far more about that than what you're degree's in (unless it's science or something practical like law).

Speaking of which, why assume history makes you less employable than English lit? People at least have the idea that history is about the real world and has some real world uses (however false that belief actually is). To the layman I'd think literature looks less useful, although again there's probably not much difference between lit, history, philosophy etc careers-wise.
>>
>>7398263
that isn't an existential crisis in any way you fucking moron
>>
>>7398903
>i'm just so jaded with my life and who I am and what the whole point of anything is right now
>>
tfw mental exhaustion
>>
>>7398912

Not the guy you replied to but the OP clearly has no idea of what an existential crisis is. He obviously acts like his life and his choices are of importance.
>>
OP, look into becoming a copywriter or technical writer. Tech writers can get paid a lot...
>>
Fuck OP it's like we're the same person. I just quit my job as a law-intern cause I said fuck it I'd rather be an adjunct professor in English than a lawyer. But holy shit I've spent the last year on /fit/ and barely ready at all, yet I can't see myself doing anything else. Also literally everybody tells me too "I see you as a professor". Also I sort of got over my existential crisis by reading Paradise Lost for the second time and also learning Hindu/Buddhist philosophy.
>>
>>7400029

Bartleby with money is still Bartleby.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.