[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some flawed claims in pic related's Meditations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: l35zuYM.jpg (84 KB, 752x1024) Image search: [Google]
l35zuYM.jpg
84 KB, 752x1024
What are some flawed claims in pic related's Meditations? Are the there any? Why or why not?
>>
Read Hume, you lazy motherfucker.
>>
Jesus christ.
>>
his statement on god being self evident and perception is thoroughly flawed, google it or some shit

meditation 3 is garbage
>>
Spinoza shittalked him in a funny way.
I wish I had the direct text where he says so.
>>
>>7397526

>I think therefore I am.

Already terrible and wrong.
>>
>>7397846
Liebniz and Spinny shit talked him while also building upon his work. They had a weird relationship.
>>
File: nietzsche stirner.png (503 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche stirner.png
503 KB, 500x667
>Friedrich Nietzsche criticized the phrase in that it presupposes that there is an "I", that there is such an activity as "thinking", and that "I" know what "thinking" is. He suggested a more appropriate phrase would be "it thinks." In other words, the "I" in "I think" could be similar to the "It" in "It is raining."
>>
File: image.jpg (414 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
414 KB, 800x1000
>>7397526

The principle that we have a concept of "infinite," and that this concept isn't produced by the concept "finite" and thinking of it as negated, as "non-finite." This is important to Descartes because if we have the concept of "infinite," but our human minds are limited rather than infinite, and we don't derive the concept of "infinite" from the concepts of negation and "finite" (each of which a finite intellect can produce from its own resources, he thinks), then we can only explain the derivation of our concept of "infinite" from an infinite mind - that is, from God. Thus, God would exist, and implanted the concept in our mind as a way of understanding existence.

But Descartes doesn't really make a substantive argument in dense of this principle, from what I can recall. Rather, he just says that he can clearly tell than the concept "infinite" is the concept of something too grand and contentful to be derived from the mere denying function of negation - but I don't think such a claim is self-evident at all, especially given his promise to abandon all principles inherited from previous philosophies and all assertions that aren't undoubtably known.
>>
File: 1429641490020.jpg (185 KB, 791x606) Image search: [Google]
1429641490020.jpg
185 KB, 791x606
>>7397526
My main gripe with Descartes is that his method is tainted by it's goal

Descartes never would have inferred the existence of an outside world if he weren't looking for a subject for his mathematics. Without reliable proof of an outside world his entire mind/body dualism falls apart.

He also takes a lot of Christian dogma as a given

Not to mention the fact that he also infers the existence of a thinking "I" with the cogito statement. As Bertrand Russell already pointed out all it actually proves is that there is thinking going on and that knowledge alone can't serve as a basis for anything.

This is all nitpicking of course, he was still probably a lot smarter than I will ever be and his philosophical system is nuanced enough that there's still a lot of value to be taken out of it despite (ironically enough) some of its fundamental assumptions are flawed
>>
>>7397526
His ontological argument is dreadful (as are all of them). Everything else is very solid for the time I think.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.