[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he just pretending to be retarded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: PynchonYearbook.jpg (12 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
PynchonYearbook.jpg
12 KB, 220x330
Is he just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>7395521

You're not even worth a single line of Pineacle's lowest moments in Slow Learner. Go find a different art more in tune with your cognitive capabilities.
>>
>>7395923
Are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>7395923

thomas, please.
>>
>>7395946
are you just pretending to be retarded?

see that was easy
>>
File: smug pynchon.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
smug pynchon.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>7396303
But am I?
>>
>>7395521
In that picture? Probably.
>>
>he

pynchon is a girl
>>
>>7395521

I think he's one of those really smart retards that people have mistaken for genius because nobody's ever seen an interview with him.

Does that make sense? Like there's a bigger reason he's so unknown. Someone's telling him, "listen, you can't, okay?" They're actively keeping him out of it, it's not some great art thing. And he's smart enough to listen and understand he really shouldn't be in the public eye.

Like if he ever did a major interview on camera, everyone would kinda be like, "Oh..." And the next day everyone who think he's the best thing ever would be like, "yeah, I mean, he's pretty good..."
>>
>>7396789
Nah, the nigga so smart that he seems like a retard. I mean, he supposedly has an IQ in the 190s. Nigga was so smart that he was handpicked by the government to continue the Manhattan Project if the war didn't end.
>>
>>7396828

lol

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>7396840
He's a CIA agent disguised as a dead man because in 1920, Pynchon was 20 years old
>>
>>7396844

Oh this is one of those bits? This is a bit, right? Like you're pretending to be Pynchon or something?
>>
>>7396844
THIS IS CIA.
YOU ARE BIG TROUBLE, ANON...
>>
He's not pretending, he's smart enough to choose whether to act retarded or not.
>>
>>7396789
what the fuck are you even on about? if you are trying to say that he might be socially retarded or like painfully shy or awkward then i guess that could be the case but i mean if you just read any of his books its pretty fucking clear that his IQ is in the upper 180's at least.
>>
>>7397109
>you just read any of his books its pretty fucking clear that his IQ is in the upper 180's at least
Is that how easy psychology is. Dawmn, I picked the wrong field.
>>
File: wonka.gif (71 KB, 500x240) Image search: [Google]
wonka.gif
71 KB, 500x240
>>7397109

But duh IQ IQ is the IQ high IQ is clear IQ is love IQ is life
>>
File: 1429390208618.png (390 KB, 598x475) Image search: [Google]
1429390208618.png
390 KB, 598x475
>>7396789
>Someone out there who's smarter than I am? Impossible, it's got to be that everyone else says he's smart when he's really a moron!

How narcissistic.
>>
>>7397247
>narcissistic
what a terrifying word
>>
>>7397247
What's wrong with being narcissistic? other than it makes you upset because I don't acknowledge you
>>
>>7395521
Shitting your pants ironically is still shitting your pants
>>
Fuck this annoys me. Almost everyone here has read or attempted to read Pynchon. His fucking epubs are scattered everywhere. I read Bleeding Edge and it was the most mediocre novel I read that year, it was shitty shitty shit. This would be fine if every 10th fucking thread wasnt dedicated to "that bucktoothed faggot" and DFW, when no one can discuss underworld or roths works besides portnoys complaint or faulkner or any given years man booker prize winners because it isnt part of some shitty self fulfilling meme. Joyce and Pynchon and Stirner and to a lesser extent McCarthy, everyone just spews it because they are so enmeshed in group think that no one can think outside the box. And when contemporary lit comes around they go ooohhh its shitty new books are shit but all you motherfuckers can do is drone about v2s and footnotes. And this guy, he fucking thinks its "annoying when people who havent read him lambaste him". Well guess what, every fucking thread about 20th century fiction has him inserted into it somehow, and its fucking garbage. Bleeding Edge was a shit book about a shitty bitch and shitty 9/11 and shitty private schools in nyc, and just because pynchon shat it out for a paycheck does not mean its good or high literature.
>>
>>7397306
>tripfags spilling their spaghetti

lol
>>
File: Pinecone.png (162 KB, 649x463) Image search: [Google]
Pinecone.png
162 KB, 649x463
>tfw smoking hash right now
>>
>>7396789
>Like there's a bigger reason he's so unknown.
He's not unknown at all. The world is bigger than the internet, anon.
>>
File: 1420154269992.jpg (104 KB, 750x1061) Image search: [Google]
1420154269992.jpg
104 KB, 750x1061
>>7397306
>>7395521
>>7395946

Idk about Bleeding Edge but I know enough to say that Pynchon is textbook post-modernism done extremely well.

Part of my literature course analyzed Crying of Lot 49 very interestingly. Speaking from that experience, I know that his work has great depth, and his prose -although discursive- is pretty damn impressive.

I think that the style of it being so elliptical and difficult is -in itself- a type of commentary or at least a progression into a new style representative of the era.
>>
>>7397306
1/10 pasta
>>
>>7395521
>>7395521

Here's a better question:

Do you think Pynchon proved you can be a pot-smoking layabout AND write good literature? Or rather, that a low-brow lifestyle is just a favourite of low-brow idiots, rather than actually totally killing the soul?
>>
>>7395521
[p͡ɸʊn-t͡ʃɒn]
>>
>>7397892
Uh, no.
>>
>>7397892
['k͡pʏɲ̊.cʰɞɴ]
>>
>>7397306
>footnotes
>>
>>7396789
Hal Incandenza is real.
>>
>>7395521
>pretending to be retarded

postmodernism in a nutshell
>>
Just listen to him speak. Sounds like a total dingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWKPdDk0_U
>>
>>7398835
he's playing a character
>>
File: Bill_Wilson-0.jpg (31 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Wilson-0.jpg
31 KB, 716x768
>>7396844
C I A
I
A
>>
I feel like he would've been that kid in school who was absolutely dopey as fuck, said the stupidest shit, but got straight A's and was really popular
>>
The high brow/low brow distinction is pure bourgeois ideology. You people who aspire to culture probably couldn't tell the difference between a Mozart Piano Concerto and his divertimento. There is nothing preventing you from going to the library in your tracksuit and trainers to pick up some Hegel to read after watching Emmerdale.
>>
>>7399044
That was me.
>>
>>7399044
That actually is what he was.
>>
>>7399003
Bane?
>>
>>7399044
Me.

I used to always get invited to parties too, despite doing stupid shit like ordering six double vodkas and leaning off the railings, singng Titanic and screaming "don't let go Jack"
>>
>>7399681
I was also a total jackass with the 16 yo philosophy that "If I get too drunk, I'll eventually sober down to the point of PERFECT drunkenness"
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.