[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>brother is mega pleb WWII history buff (still in high school)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 1423520477047.png (36 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1423520477047.png
36 KB, 803x688
>brother is mega pleb WWII history buff (still in high school)
>only reads books about the Holocaust, Nazis, various atrocities, and Hitchens
>thinks fiction is useless and mocks my enjoyment of it
>sees 'American Psycho' for the meme value one day
>decides to read the book
Should I dissuade him, /lit/? Will it be too pomo for a non-reader to understand? I'm kind of worried that he'll hate it and get turned off fiction forever.
>>
>>7390011
If he's a "military history buff" it can't get much worse. That's the go-to hobby for manchildren trying to look smart.
>>
>>7390026
This tbqh. Military history is the plebbest form of history and the most autistic. Just take a look at /his/ and see how many military history manchild retards are shitting up that board.
>>
>>7390031
>going to /his/
>>
>>7390011
It's not that hard to understand. My friends never read and most of them have read American psycho
>>
>>7390011
the only thing that would've made this better is if you made it about your girlfriend instead of your brother
>>
>>7390011
>thinks fiction is useless and mocks my enjoyment of it

He definitely sounds like an idiot but he was at least right about this.
>>
>>7390011
You should get him 'A late education' it's a semi-mythic (in its treatment of character) memoir of an australian journalist from the spanish civil war, with a sojourn to his uprbinging, through to the postwar literary scene. It's very nicely written, autobiography as literature, like Xenophon.
>>
>>7390051
literary fiction is still fiction
>>
>>7390011
>(still in high school)
>thinks fiction is useless
lmao

>sees 'American Psycho' for the meme value one day
>decides to read the book
>Should I dissuade him, /lit/? Will it be too pomo for a non-reader to understand? I'm kind of worried that he'll hate it and get turned off fiction forever.
Or he could like the book so much he realizes he's a fucking idiot and you can begin introducing your inbred brother to literature.
>>
>>7390026
this desu

I have yet to find a "history buff" who actually understands the trade of a historian, or reads anything other than pop history and the introductory works
>>
>>7390136
Still better to be a history "buff" pleb than someone who watches reality television and listens to the latest pop garbage coming out nowadays. At least they know something about history, most people don't even have that.
>>
American Psycho was one of the first books I read outside of school and I loved it.
>>
>>7390230

What do you mean?
We're running out of time
>>
>>7390230
>Still better to be a history "buff" pleb than someone who watches reality television and listens to the latest pop garbage coming out nowadays.

there's literally no difference. at least the other plebs don't carry around the pretense of being an intellectual.
>>
>>7390230
>It's better to be a Reddit fedora than to be a normie.
This is a disgusting opinion.
>>
>>7390239
>>7390241
>>7390242
Someone having at least a basic understanding of key historical events is better than someone who has no understanding of said events, yes. Are both groups plebs? Yes. But at least the buffs have some basic understanding of the world around them and aren't just materialist amnesiacs.
>>
>>7390026
This. "I ONLY READ NON-FICTION/MILITARY HISTORY :DDDD" is the battle cry of an emotionally stunted retard
>>
>>7390011
You are worse than your brother.
>>
>>7390256
>But at least the buffs have some basic understanding of the world around them and aren't just materialist amnesiacs.

sure they are.

why are you so buttfrustrated about this?
>>
>>7390262
If you are a professional historian you don't really have much time to read anything but non-fiction aside from the classic works of literary fiction.
>>
>>7390272
Thanks encyclopedia brown
>>
>>7390272
professional historians are too busy to announce the self-evident fact that they only read history.

the non-fiction/military history fag is a different beast entirely
>>
Tell him to read Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger
>>
>>7390287
>what kind of books do you read?
>"anything but fiction and poetry :^)"
>>
>>7390256
Gotta make up your mind
What do you mean?
>>
>>7390011
>thinks fiction is useless
>still buys fictional books about natsoc
>>
>>7390290
reading this now desu :)
>>
>>7390310
"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" > American Idol
>>
>>7390481
Yes, but this doesn't lead to (>>7390230).
>>
>>7390484
What are you talking about
>>
>>7390630
That book is (presumably) better than American Idol, but being a normie is still better than being a Reddit fedora.
>>
>>7390642
>but being a normie is still better than being a Reddit fedora.

Does being a history buff make you a reddit fedora? What if a reddit fedora watches American idol? You aren't making much sense.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.